Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 11-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #6461
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
You probably have. The exact imagery has been used countless times across more products than can be counted over the past 3 decades. Only difference here is Gabz' line work and composition.
I hear you. I typically try and stay away from pieces that are redone stills from the studio as well. Nothing at all wrong with them, just not my personal bag.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #6462
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I haven't been to a Toys r Us in a long time. But is that really a bad thing? I would think that art good enough for an official banner would be a good thing.
I never said bad, just generic maybe. As in, I've seen the images a lot, and I don't need a limited print of it. Completely understand it appealing to the majority though.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:54 PM   #6463
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I never said bad, just generic maybe. As in, I've seen the images a lot, and I don't need a limited print of it. Completely understand it appealing to the majority though.
I would think that generic to an artist would be close to the same thing as bad. I've seen the images before too. And the discussions have been here and elsewhere before about artists who lift stuff. But I still think this is the best Star Wars print I've seen. And able to go with the originals. The Olly Moss ones are too artsy for me. The Tyler Stout ones lacking color and way too chaotic with characters all over the place.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #6464
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I would think that generic to an artist would be close to the same thing as bad. I've seen the images before too. And the discussions have been here and elsewhere before about artists who lift stuff. But I still think this is the best Star Wars print I've seen. And able to go with the originals. The Olly Moss ones are too artsy for me. The Tyler Stout ones lacking color and way too chaotic with characters all over the place.
Just proves how subjective art is. I find the Moss prints clean, completely unique and highly imaginative. Stout's prints are loaded with iconic imagery and full of depth. Gabz' print feels like a collage of tired lifted imagery without an ounce of originality to it.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:21 AM   #6465
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Just proves how subjective art is. I find the Moss prints clean, completely unique and highly imaginative. Stout's prints are loaded with iconic imagery and full of depth. Gabz' print feels like a collage of tired lifted imagery without an ounce of originality to it.
Pretty much where I am. I think the Moss set is incredible and by far my favourite Star Wars art. I'm not huge SW fan but would hang the Moss pieces in my house in a second.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:39 AM   #6466
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Pretty much where I am. I think the Moss set is incredible and by far my favourite Star Wars art. I'm not huge SW fan but would hang the Moss pieces in my house in a second.
They're pretty special pieces for sure. Wish I was collecting prints when those dropped but they hit right before I really got in the game.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #6467
Luminous
Cyclops

You guys talk about iconic Star Wars imagery like it's suddenly a dull and boring thing. Of course the Moss and Stouts are epic, but let's not forget what inspired them. The Gabz print is a pure representation of all that inspiration found in one print. The likeness' are uncanny and the attention to detail is phenomenal. You simply can't find a better single print that incorporates the entire original SW trilogy.

Just ordered mine. Stress free acquisition FTW.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #6468
FROBAY
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
You guys talk about iconic Star Wars imagery like it's suddenly a dull and boring thing. Of course the Moss and Stouts are epic, but let's not forget what inspired them. The Gabz print is a pure representation of all that inspiration found in one print. The likeness' are uncanny and the attention to detail is phenomenal. You simply can't find a better single print that incorporates the entire original SW trilogy.

Just ordered mine. Stress free acquisition FTW.
I agree. Love the Stouts SW but will never own any (price). The Gabz will be my best Star Wars print I own and I think it's just fantastic. It's all about the taste!
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #6469
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Well don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the material and iconic SW imagery is certainly not boring or lost on me but most of these specific images are a bit tired.

I guess when it comes to screen prints from specific artists I just want original work... you know, they're take on the films, not someone else's art compiled with a digital technique applied to make them look like their own. Maybe I'm just realizing I'm not a fan of Gabz' process as all his prints seem to look this way. Sometimes his composition is creative enough in it's own right to overshadow this issue I have with his work but in this case it's not. That said I can totally understand why this may appeal to others, no question it looks nice, it's just not for me.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #6470
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Well don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the material and iconic SW imagery is certainly not boring or lost on me but most of these specific images are a bit tired.

I guess when it comes to screen prints from specific artists I just want original work... you know, they're take on the films, not someone else's art compiled with a digital technique applied to make them look like their own. Maybe I'm just realizing I'm not a fan of Gabz' process as all his prints seem to look this way. Sometimes his composition is creative enough in it's own right to overshadow this issue I have with his work but in this case it's not. That said I can totally understand why this may appeal to others, no question it looks nice, it's just not for me.
And I completely understand that, but with such quality on display and the obvious appeal to all SW fans I find terms like "tired" and "unimaginative" a little misleading to what is being provided here.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote