Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
riteguytu
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

I still find it hard to believe...this is Canada, right?? Half of North America?? The enlightened West???
riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

This is what we're talking about in Quebec today.
This is our message:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5emKAEWKNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMHEK6BmHkc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GlszP9l2UI
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Makkari1
Cyclops

The inmates are running the aslyum.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
Nyxs
The Avengers

Wow didn't know it was this bad over there.
Nyxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #15
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxs View Post
Wow didn't know it was this bad over there.

It's actually worse. As I noted earlier, just this past fall, there was an assassination attempt on this political party's leader life on election night. It's bad. Ottawa is doing nothing about it too. It is a complete mess in Quebec. This elected party is divisive, discriminatory, and has a very clear destructive agenda. You'd think we were in the second World War or living in some backward unevolved nation.

How did these people ever get voted into government? Are there literally millions of voters in Quebec who truly believe in the ethnic and linguistic cleansing the PQ hopes to accomplish? Do they truly never want to live in a world where they and their children can have the options and choices learning English can provide them?

Just this morning, a French-speaking colleague of mine, who incidentally had no idea what Bill 14 was all about (even though its all over the news and papers), suggested that if French people want to learn English, they can always watch English TV. Good grief! Just when I think members of the Francophone community couldn't be more ignorant....

The PQ rhetoric is like a cancer. Its objective is to cover everything while destroying anything in its path in the process.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #16
risingstar
Jedi Order

The PQ (Parti Quebecois) is trying to rewrite history to make it look like Anglos haven't at all contributed to the culture and growth of Quebec and thus, aren't worth catering to. This is a lie. We've played a huge role in creating the richness of Montreal. Moreover, perhaps the most insidious part of the PQ's xenophobic and fear mongering campaign is to compel as many non-French groups to abandon their own cultures, assimilate completely, and join the PQ in their crusade to squash anything and everything different so that everything becomes French and unilingual. Just typing those words scares me to no end. No law should be able to force anyone to lose their culture and identity. Sadly, the PQ continues to try to enact laws which make it more difficult to live in your own skin unless it's a French skin to the point where speaking and working in English is all but completely illegal even if your staff is English speaking. So many Quebecois have been buying into the PQ's "kill or be killed" scenario, as if it's the Anglos who want to snuff out the French. Another lie. You'd think Anglos were made out to be Boogeymen.

This is a very important time in Quebec which can end in only one of two ways. One which bridges the gap between the ignorant and the oppressed as the bullies and fear mongers are pretty much a lost cause, or the other which blows the bridge thus alienating minorities to the point where they either leave or take matters into their own hands. It's at a point where if you walk into a store or business, you have to prepare yourself for how the person behind the counter might react if you speak English. They might not serve you at all.

I blame myself too as I clearly played a role in letting things get this far by remaining silent for too long. Anyone who blames the PQ for this entire mess isn't taking any responsibility for their part in this. Thankfully, it appears minorities in Quebec have a chance to turn things around as history has shown that authoritarian leaders always lose in the end.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #17
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

That's insane. I had no idea about this at all. I did date a French chick once and she was as mad as a cut snake. When I told her it was over (after about six weeks dating) she told me "I don't accept that" then kept calling me. But what's going on there sounds like madness
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
That's insane. I had no idea about this at all. I did date a French chick once and she was as mad as a cut snake. When I told her it was over (after about six weeks dating) she told me "I don't accept that" then kept calling me. But what's going on there sounds like madness
You should have said it in French - that way it would have had binding legal effect
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
risingstar
Jedi Order

The government now wants to pass a law which would require employers to justify the need for employees to speak any other language than French. An employee required to communicate in a language other than French would have the right to sue his or her employer for monetary damages.

They also want to go after infants in daycares and make it mandatory for daycare providers to work in French.

You guys have no idea how bad it's getting in Quebec (a province which borders NY). These zealot supremacists racists in power are trying to structure a cult-like state in Quebec which encourages its largely naïve population to perceive anything that isn't French as subversive, and now, illegal too. They want French citizens to serve as sentries and report any use of English on store signs and anything else which may deemed as an affront to the French like the words "on/off" which may be seen publically. You guys may think I'm joking. I'm not. These nutbars are looking to incite civil unrest and a standoff with the Canadian government. It's going to get really ugly in Quebec soon.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

What you need to do is get your hands on whatever official documentation you can get, and then email it to every media agency you can find around the world (except maybe France). I'm a pretty voracious consumer of news here in Oz (websites, newspapers, television news) and I have never heard a single word about it here. I would imagine that if the rest of world started reporting it (as the lunacy it is) it might have some effect. Couldn't hurt. Seriously though, I'd be surprised if 99% of people in the US, UK, Australia etc had any idea what you guys are going through and would be horrified to find out.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote