Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #19271
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Public Enemies - 8/10

Another great film by Michael Mann. A very tight and well crafted narrative that hits all the high points of John Dillinger's criminal activities including several historically accurate events involving Dillinger and several other well know criminals of the day. Stand out performances for me were Johnny Depp who nailed Dillinger and Christian Bale as FBI Agent Melvin Purvis. This film has a lot of the trademark visual filming style Mann is known for and the location shots, wardrobe, and dialect references were all true to the time.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #19272
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
Kingsman 5/10 first hour was good but went down hill after that
That's a bit disappointing. We're going to see this tomorrow. I loved Kick Ass and thought the trailer for Kingsman looked awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
Public Enemies - 8/10

Another great film by Michael Mann. A very tight and well crafted narrative that hits all the high points of John Dillinger's criminal activities including several historically accurate events involving Dillinger and several other well know criminals of the day. Stand out performances for me were Johnny Depp who nailed Dillinger and Christian Bale as FBI Agent Melvin Purvis. This film has a lot of the trademark visual filming style Mann is known for and the location shots, wardrobe, and dialect references were all true to the time.
Might have to give this one another try, but I've only ever seen it the one time and just couldn't get into it. I honestly think (with the exception of Donnie Brasco) I'm finding Johnny Depp virtually unwatchable now for some reason.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #19273
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
That's a bit disappointing. We're going to see this tomorrow. I loved Kick Ass and thought the trailer for Kingsman looked awesome.

Might have to give this one another try, but I've only ever seen it the one time and just couldn't get into it. I honestly think (with the exception of Donnie Brasco) I'm finding Johnny Depp virtually unwatchable now for some reason.
I recommend giving Public Enemies another go, Nidgit. It's definitely more of a slower burn but worth it imo. As far as Donnie Brasco goes, I thoroughly enjoyed that film and thought Depp was great in it. I think Depp's problem is he's gravitated to doing nothing but silly character acting roles as of late instead of roles that have more gravitas to them and that made him famous like in Blow, Donnie Brasco, Public Enemies, etc...
Old 02-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #19274
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
I recommend giving Public Enemies another go, Nidgit. It's definitely more of a slower burn. As far as Donnie Brasco goes, I thoroughly enjoyed that film. I think Depp's problem is he's gravitated to doing nothing but silly character acting roles as of late instead of the roles that have more gravitas to them and that made him famous like in Blow, Donnie Brasco, Public Enemies, etc...
Yeah. I'll give it another shot. He was fantastic in DB. Cringed when I saw the trailer to that Mortdecai. Not if it was the last movie on earth
Old 02-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #19275
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Dracula Untold: 6/10 - It wasn't terrible by any means, and visually it had a lot of appeal, but it just wasn't very compelling. It did have some very cool sword play in it though. Not sure who was responsible for the fight choreography in that department, but would love to see more of their work on the big screen.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #19276
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
Public Enemies didn't work for me either and I consider myself a huge Michael Mann fan too. That said I might need to give it another go as well as I've only seen it once.

RE: Johnny Depp... I just can't watch him anymore. The guy drives me nuts now. Each role just seems to be another variation of himself much the same way Jack Nicholson became at the tail end of his career. Hard to buy into his roles when I hear the same voice inflection as Captain Jack Sparrow being used in everything.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #19277
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

The Iron Giant ~ 4/5
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #19278
RadicalThrasher
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Public Enemies - 8/10

Thought it could have been a little better, but overall I liked it. Though he didn't have a ton of screen time, I liked Stephen Lang's character/performance in the film.
RadicalThrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #19279
risingstar
Jedi Order

The Phantom of the Opera (1943) - 6/10

By far, the weakest of the 8 essential Universal monster movies in the bluray set. While we enjoyed the set designs and the basic premise of the film, the opera music literally took up more than half the film. Nt only that, the operatic segments were in French. We weren't mentally prepared for that much opera.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #19280
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Edge of Tomorrow - 7/10

I wasn't sure what to expect going in but had heard very good things about the film from friends and family. I was pleasantly surprised with the narrative and how the repeat nature of it didn't become boring. That was one of my concerns going in. While this film is an alien invasion film and those tropes have been traveled too many times in film to count over the years, this time around it felt fresh given how the various plot points were handled. Stand out performances for me were Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, and Bill Paxton. My one complaint is I wish the ending could have been handled a bit better. Parts of it seemed a little too contrived for my taste.