Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #7671
ENDO
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Switch-out portraits usually work; when you get to arms, chest-pieces, and even base configurations, you lose me.

Call it snobby if you want, but I love sculpture as an art form. I'm not an artist, but I have to imagine that having to accommodate switch-outs for the sake of marketing gimmicks compromises what artists can really do with sculpts. Because if you want multiple configurations, you're constrained as far as what you can do with the piece. That doesn't mean you can't have great sculpts with multiple switch-outs, but it does mean there is more you can do when you're not constrained by them.

The rest is just practicality. More switch-outs you're not gonna use equals bigger boxes; light-ups equal potential problems in the future; extra pieces can come broken, sometimes they don't fit well, sometimes magnets aren't strong enough, etc. These companies have a uphill battle with QC as it is, and more pieces ultimately means everything is more complicated and costly.
My experience with a statue with multiple parts and pieces. Sideshow gave it multiple parts attached by magnets instead of casting it in one piece to please the people who want to play with the statues. The magnet on one piece was too weak so it fell to the grown and smashed to pieces. Send pictures and surprisingly got a replacement. Later another piece fell out and got scratched. The rest of the pieces did not sit flush with the statue because of where the magnets were places. Someday I will try to move the magnets around and see what happens. The attachments not sitting flush makes it clear that by making them extra attachments instead of casting it as part of the main body made for a lesser looking statue but the players of states were sure with all the accessories they got to play with.

After a year the lights in the head failed. Contacted sideshow they recommended I clean the terminals because they no longer had replacements. Why in god name would anyone with commonsense ask for light up features is beyond me considering you would need to break the statue apart to fix it when it fails. We all pay for those silly individuals who demand light up features without any thought to the future value of their statues when the lights eventually fail.
ENDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #7672
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

I don't get how you you all know the light up features don't work? They are Collectibles, who takes them out of the package? That depreciates the value automatically. If my artbox is mint I know I have a 10 out of 10 rated collectible.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #7673
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
I don't get how you you all know the light up features don't work? They are Collectibles, who takes them out of the package? That depreciates the value automatically. If my artbox is mint I know I have a 10 out of 10 rated collectible.
edit:Nvm, i misread your sarcasm for a question lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDO View Post
Why in god name would anyone with commonsense ask for light up features is beyond me considering you would need to break the statue apart to fix it when it fails. We all pay for those silly individuals who demand light up features without any thought to the future value of their statues when the lights eventually fail.
I was disappointed with the lightup too...It looks cool but i would've been happier without it.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #7674
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
The personified common sense!
That's why I decided to collect only artboxes.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #7675
French Cancan
Deadman

Light effects, sound effects, levitating effects, soon holographic effects...
Michelangelo would have probably liked that. Rodin, probably not. Anyway, welcome in the 21st century!
Old 12-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #7676
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

I only want the statue effect.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #7677
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
I only want the statue effect.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #7678
xforce
Hydra

Quote:
Gotta disagree. This is a flippers sell out Mint, sold out due to hype and the idea of a easy buck. Right now all the flippers hoarding the big box or boxes in their moms basement are having a field day. EBay sales mean some shmuck got bamboozled or really thought a mass produced statue was worth 3Gs. To each is own but shame on them for Buying into the hype.
I agree its a flippers sell out, but the issue will be when they go to flip it for 3k and someone goes to the sideshow site and says,, nah i will just order the collectors edition for retail
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #7679
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I'm not crazy about light up features but to be honest with you guys, I have 2 statues with swap out features: XM Thanos and Sideshow Galactus and I actually swap them out pretty often. Maybe every 4 months. It is not a factor in the decision for me to buy a statue, but it is something I enjoy and use.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #7680
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

I love swapouts and prefer to have them, its refreshing to see and adds variety to statues i plan on keeping a long time, lightup features on the other hand i rarely if ever use, i may turn it on every so often but never to leave on for display.