Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #2871
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Don't think throwing on a piece of wired cotton for a cape would ever be pricier than a sculpted equivalent. If it was, we'd see it all the time from SS.
This is true lol.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #2872
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Don't think throwing on a piece of wired cotton for a cape would ever be pricier than a sculpted equivalent. If it was, we'd see it all the time from SS.
I don't know for a fact. I'd like to know. I'm just making the case.

I believe you don't see it all the time, because few factories do mixed-media. Fewer and fewer - according to PCS, a while back. In this specific case, engineering a lighter cape is also likely a huge factor, since Mags' feet aren't firmly on the ground.

People talk about sculpt vs fabric as if the sculpt is 'sculpted anew every time'. It's just an additional molded part, that needs to be painted (usually simple shading, low-detailed to boot), like the rest of the statue. The mixed-media is the thing that needs to be made from scratch every time, by a specialized worker separate from the painters that are already doing everything else (presumably). The chosen fabric itself could be of cheap quality, sure, but I don't think the process is cheaper.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #2873
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Have they ever tried lighter sculpted material for capes like vinyl? I think sculpted almost always looks better(P1's high quality fabric capes look great though) but I understand the concern of the weight and balance of sculpted polystone capes(leaning Superman PF). Cheap looking fabric capes can really turn me off an otherwise great statue.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #2874
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I don't know for a fact. I'd like to know. I'm just making the case.

I believe you don't see it all the time, because few factories do mixed-media. Fewer and fewer - according to PCS, a while back. In this specific case, engineering a lighter cape is also likely a huge factor, since Mags' feet aren't firmly on the ground.

People talk about sculpt vs fabric as if the sculpt is 'sculpted anew every time'. It's just an additional molded part, that needs to be painted (usually simple shading, low-detailed to boot), like the rest of the statue. The mixed-media is the thing that needs to be made from scratch every time, by a specialized worker separate from the painters that are already doing everything else (presumably). The chosen fabric itself could be of cheap quality, sure, but I don't think the process is cheaper.
I would imagine once the template is made they just have a machine that pumps them out... I would be surprised if they did each fabric cape by hand, especially when were talking 3000+ capes..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #2875
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I would imagine once the template is made they just have a machine that pumps them out... I would be surprised if they did each fabric cape by hand, especially when were talking 3000+ capes..
Yeah, good point. Capes are probably among the easiest mixed-media to mass produce, but I think my point still stands in general. You still need separate equipment, and most likely a separate specialized worker, and sourcing separate product than just the standard resin and paint.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #2876
off
The X-Men

No sculpted cape. No buy.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #2877
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
Have they ever tried lighter sculpted material for capes like vinyl? I think sculpted almost always looks better(P1's high quality fabric capes look great though) but I understand the concern of the weight and balance of sculpted polystone capes(leaning Superman PF). Cheap looking fabric capes can really turn me off an otherwise great statue.
PVC would be a decent alternative, I believe. I think that's what the Koto Mags used.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #2878
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
PVC would be a decent alternative, I believe. I think that's what the Koto Mags used.
I agree.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #2879
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
To be honest it comes down to personal preference but If I can’t have a sculpted cape I’d rather have a quality fabric cape over PVC. Pvc just feels cheap for a 1/4 piece IMO
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #2880
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Quote:
Yeah, good point. Capes are probably among the easiest mixed-media to mass produce, but I think my point still stands in general. You still need separate equipment, and most likely a separate specialized worker, and sourcing separate product than just the standard resin and paint.
They do still have workers sewing clothes by hand (using sewing machines that is) so I wouldn't be surprised if the capes are all hand made.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote