Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #2471
mattikebukuro
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

For those who are still hesitant, here is a photo of mine. I always get the last batch of production from Sideshow as I’m from Japan. (2066/2500) in this case.

Very satisfied, there seem to be no problem with the eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6B5256B9-2668-4EBC-9788-319A1FFCB3D4.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	121009  
mattikebukuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #2472
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Looks like I got fairly lucky with the eyes on mine...

Agreed. That looks better than most.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #2473
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattikebukuro View Post
For those who are still hesitant, here is a photo of mine. I always get the last batch of production from Sideshow as I’m from Japan. (2066/2500) in this case.

Very satisfied, there seem to be no problem with the eyes.

This looks great, too.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #2474
fernando2
Fantastic Four

Original Portrait Sculpt

I think the primary reason there has been a lot of disappointment, aside from the issue with the eyes, is just how different the production portrait is from the proto used to market (and actually still being used on the box art) this piece. That's what initially hooked me into an immediate PO.

I have been wondering how this happened. How can the portrait be so blatantly different? Based on my understanding, which I openly admit is limited, of how these pieces are produced the portrait could not possibly be as different as it is unless it is done deliberately. The process, as I know it, is the artist created the prototype (original) which, before painting, is in turn used to create the molds to be used for the mass production pieces. In this case the production piece portrait was clearly not created from a mold of the prototype. The question is, why? The facial structures of the two are very different making it clear that a decision was made to make that change.

In questioning why and what the logic for the change would be, the only thing I could come up with was some sort of licensing challenge. What I really liked about the proto was that it was very Lynda Carter(ish) looking. I'm wondering if there was some sort of challenge based on that. Maybe some sort of additional fee or license is required to use what could be perceived as Lynda Carter's image and to avoid that SideShow decided to just change the facial structure for the production run.

I know that doesn't explain the Lynda Carter(ish) image still being used on the art box but that's the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Possible?
fernando2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #2475
nearmint
Phoenix

I think most folks would blame the difference on paint application.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #2476
adee
Green Arrow

Eye position aside the eye lids of the proto and production are drastically different.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #2477
fernando2
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I think most folks would blame the difference on paint application.
I disagree. It goes beyond paint. The facial structure is very different. Prototype had a rounder, softer structure while the production piece has a thinner more elongated face.

I know the people can “see” the same object in very different ways but in breaking it down that’s how I see it. As has been stated here many times before, it’s still a very nice piece but to me that is not the same portrait sculpt as the prototype.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #2478
fernando2
Fantastic Four

Interesting how even SideShow themselves have eliminated all images of the prototype portrait from their website. The only evidence left of it is the box art.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #2479
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando2 View Post
Interesting how even SideShow themselves have eliminated all images of the prototype portrait from their website. The only evidence left of it is the box art.
You can look at post #397 in this thread
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #2480
fernando2
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
I am happy to say I got a response from Sideshow today and the are sending a replacement head. I just need to destroy the defective head and send them pictures after I receive the new one.
Destroy??

I got no such instructions with my replacement.