Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-23-2024, 10:35 AM   #481
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Sweet! A couple thousand dollar slightly off likeness option, with doll hair. Can't wait for that crazy unmasked portrait!
Whether the likeness is on point or not will be completely subjective. But it's not like the Darkside piece is anywhere near a great likeness (mostly due to paint apps - I suppose) - so that would suggest the only benefit it could / would hold over JND, is a cheaper price.....but if that's the yard stick we're measuring by, then the Tweeterhead piece wins the game.

Obviously if you're in the market for 1/4 scale - then JND is not your huckleberry.....but I don't imagine anyone was seriously comparing the upcoming JND piece to the 1/4 Darkside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Yes it?s a fair question. It?s funny because, since when has logic ever been able to be utilised to determine the price of statues.

At this stage, possibly the only thing we can determine is that it?ll be cheaper than Wonder Woman. Or maybe not??
JND will price according to what they think it will sell - the fact that 90% will be sculpted like Mera or Anne Hathaway Catwoman won't even play a role - plus, let's not forget that JND love to throw in the characters alter ego as a companion piece....
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 11:02 AM   #482
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Whether the likeness is on point or not will be completely subjective. But it's not like the Darkside piece is anywhere near a great likeness (mostly due to paint apps - I suppose) - so that would suggest the only benefit it could / would hold over JND, is a cheaper price.....but if that's the yard stick we're measuring by, then the Tweeterhead piece wins the game.

Obviously if you're in the market for 1/4 scale - then JND is not your huckleberry.....but I don't imagine anyone was seriously comparing the upcoming JND piece to the 1/4 Darkside....
Not sure why you keep wanting to make it out like collectors only use a single yardstick to compare their options. I'm sure most are like me and consider all the factors... off the top of my head... pose, sculpt, details, paint, likeness, price etc. TH wins for pose and body sculpt, and even paint on the body. Like the corset, for me, TH nailed it. P1 is super glossy and wrinkly, DS is too matte. Price is just one factor.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:45 PM   #483
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I have nothing negative to say about the P1 piece, but I do think they screwed up on the edition size. I was on the waitlist for both versions at both Prime 1 and Sideshow for several months with no luck. I think availability on the secondary market will be more scarce as a result of that low ES, and the prices will be sky high.

I think the Darkside piece is a very worthwhile alternative. The masked portrait looks great. We need better images of the unmasked, preferably on the statue rather than beside it.
DS CW is a worthy alternative. In fact, it could even be desirable if P1 had not made a better one.

Unfortunately, they did screw up on the low ES. Who knows, P1 might issue a 1:4 scale later on.

There is new hope on the horizon. JND is going to make one as well. Let's wait and see how it turns out.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:47 PM   #484
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
This is nice and all but none of us are in the statue game for 2nd best.
Especially for those who have a deep pocket and money is no object.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:36 PM   #485
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Not sure why you keep wanting to make it out like collectors only use a single yardstick to compare their options. I'm sure most are like me and consider all the factors... off the top of my head... pose, sculpt, details, paint, likeness, price etc. TH wins for pose and body sculpt, and even paint on the body. Like the corset, for me, TH nailed it. P1 is super glossy and wrinkly, DS is too matte. Price is just one factor.
I'm just following the flow of the discussion - if we talked about all the factors involved, I'd need to write a book - and no one would read it.....

Likeness and price were the two main points you levelled at JND, that's why I focused on them. I think we can agree - if those two hygiene factors aren't satisfied, everything else is a moot point.

To be clear, in my opinion, and as an owner of the TH piece, it's nice for what it is - but I don't see it as a major player in this battle - regardless of it's price. I also think it's too soon to judge the JND piece. If we were coming off the back of the Arwen release - I'd be sceptical about the degree of likeness we should expect - but then, the same artist that gave us Arwen - gives us the K-Star Madame Jeong - which by any yardstick is a home run.....so, I wouldn't be so confident that the "doll haired" JND piece won't relegate the DS effort to the bargain basement.....I guess we'll see.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:36 PM   #486
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

I think both portraits look pretty darn good. Anxious to see more production pics.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 07:24 AM   #487
HERMAN59000
Frackin!

I love 1/3 Darkside version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	169776   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	530.5 KB
ID:	169777   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	169778   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	169779  
HERMAN59000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 07:30 AM   #488
omigeo
Alpha Flight

I love it to. Hopefully I get this soon
omigeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 08:06 AM   #489
ukshaun
Hercules

Knowing Darkside, the piece will look even better in person.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:27 PM   #490
Frankierock
Omega Red

Any updates on when this is shipping out? Originally slated for quarter 4, 2023 was it not?
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote