Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 07-31-2006, 08:27 PM   #11
devlinboy
Official Thread Killer

i think sheff is all but done for ny... im pissed that duaner sanchez got hurt for the mets.. they had to let nady go
devlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinboy
i think sheff is all but done for ny... im pissed that duaner sanchez got hurt for the mets.. they had to let nady go
Nady is no big loss for the Mets.

What I can't believe is the Nationals not trading Soriano. Very bad move. Now when he signs with another team they only get a draft pick. I doubt they can sign em' - I mean the guy came out and said he wants to play for the Yankees again. It's not even about the Yankees, everyone is going to be throwing money at em'. Another mistake is the Met's not trading Milledge for a pitcher. The Met's owner isn't as free spending as Steinbrenner so it's not a given that the Met's are going to be contenders for 10+ years like the Yankees are. The Yankees can afford to take their chances with what they got and they didn't, they made a move for a pitcher and a bat. This could be the Met's year if they had an Oswalt or Willis but now I don't think so. They might not make it past the NL without that third pitcher forget about the World Series.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:42 PM   #13
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinboy
nady hasnt done sh!t since his appendectomy he was hot in the beginning of the year but has long since cooled and him being dealt to strengthen the BP is fine by me
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:44 PM   #14
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker
nady hasnt done sh!t since his appendectomy he was hot in the beginning of the year but has long since cooled and him being dealt to strengthen the BP is fine by me

man the mets had a chance....but like G said i think they needed another pitcher...i still like their chances to make it to the series...but the NL isnt going to win the world series so whatever
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #15
OneOne78
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General
Nady is no big loss for the Mets.

What I can't believe is the Nationals not trading Soriano. Very bad move. Now when he signs with another team they only get a draft pick. I doubt they can sign em' - I mean the guy came out and said he wants to play for the Yankees again. It's not even about the Yankees, everyone is going to be throwing money at em'. Another mistake is the Met's not trading Milledge for a pitcher. The Met's owner isn't as free spending as Steinbrenner so it's not a given that the Met's are going to be contenders for 10+ years like the Yankees are. The Yankees can afford to take their chances with what they got and they didn't, they made a move for a pitcher and a bat. This could be the Met's year if they had an Oswalt or Willis but now I don't think so. They might not make it past the NL without that third pitcher forget about the World Series.
The Mets did not make a mistake by not trading Milledge for pitching. Yes we do need pitching but the asking price for Oswalt was too high, I'm not sure what Miami wanted for Dontrell or Oakland for Barry Zito but you can believe it was a lot more than Milledge. Sometimes the best moves are the ones not made. The Mets needed to solidify the bullpen even more with the loss of Sanchez, especially since all we have is a rotation of 6 inning pitchers.

As far as the Yankees & Soriano go they don't need him. Why do you think the Yanks got rid of him in the first place? According to Omar the Mets where not interested in him because he strikes out too much and is a defensive liability at second base. Yes is capable of putting up great numbers but at a price, besides the Yanks have enough offense as it is. Pitching & defense is what wins a world series.
OneOne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #16
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOne78
The Mets did not make a mistake by not trading Milledge for pitching. Yes we do need pitching but the asking price for Oswalt was too high, I'm not sure what Miami wanted for Dontrell or Oakland for Barry Zito but you can believe it was a lot more than Milledge. Sometimes the best moves are the ones not made. The Mets needed to solidify the bullpen even more with the loss of Sanchez, especially since all we have is a rotation of 6 inning pitchers.

As far as the Yankees & Soriano go they don't need him. Why do you think the Yanks got rid of him in the first place? According to Omar the Mets where not interested in him because he strikes out too much and is a defensive liability at second base. Yes is capable of putting up great numbers but at a price, besides the Yanks have enough offense as it is. Pitching & defense is what wins a world series.
well said - sanchez going down was a big blow to the BP for the mets - the additions of 2 solid arms to the BP for nady was worth it - like i said already nady hasnt done much to help anyway - his numbers since returning fromteh DL have been about the same as lastings numbers so why not deal him to help the pitching staff and hope milegde come up big - even if milledge stays at the levels hes playing at now hes still going to put the same numbers up that nady has been so mets didnt really loose anyhting and gianed what they needed help in the BP

dont get me wrong i woulda loved to seen them get a solid SP to hold up the 3 spot in the rotation but between the 3-4-5 guys we have enough to be strong - yes pelfrey is a rc - yes trachsel has a horrible track record -and yes el duque is unrealiable but all we need is 5-6 good inn outta them and then we can go to the BP
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:04 PM   #17
OneOne78
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Milledge has the ability to put up the same numbers or better than X and still comes at a fraction of the cost. What's there not to like. Endy Chavez has more value off the bench anyway. Lastings IMO is a defensive upgrade with a lot more speed.

I'm just glad Omar didn't pull the trigger just to make a trade. The Mets are notorious for dealing away the wrong players in deals (i.e. Nolan Ryan) and more recently Scott Kazmir
OneOne78 is offline   Reply With Quote