Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Plastic Man
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

BBC TV mystery series on DVD

I enjoy the shows "New Tricks", "Rebus", "Inspector Lewis", "Rumpole of the Bailey" and "Midsumer Murder Mysteries". Are there any other BBC mysteries collected in DVD sets that you could recommend?
Plastic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
Sledge Hammer!
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Cracker. It's, well, it's a cracker. Great show. Don't read any spoilers about it ahead of time though. Also, don't bother with the americanized version, you have to see the superior original with Robbie Coltrane as Cracker. If you like Cracker then check out Jimmy McGovern's The Lakes as well.

Murphy's Law is pretty good too, although to be honest the earlier seasons aren't quite as good overall as the later seasons get, it's one of those shows that seemed to get stronger as it went along. If you like James Nesbitt in this then I'd also recommend you check out Jekyll, which was a modern retelling of the classic tale, written by Steven Moffat, the guy who is running Doctor Who from next season onwards. Top stuff. Also, if you do enjoy a bit of horror to your mysteries check out Ultraviolet (again not the us version). Seriously, it's great.

A lot of people swear by the Prime Suspect series, starring Helen Mirren, and Wire in the Blood, with Robson Green (who was great in the highly recommended Rocket Man by the way), but I haven't seen enough of either one to fairly judge to be honest. They always seem to get strong praise though.

If you like a bit of sci-fi in your mystery then you really owe it to yourself to check out Life on Mars, again the original version, not the U.S. remake. And if you like the two seasons they did of that then I'd recommend you follow up with the spin off series Ashes to Ashes, which I think is due to come to an end next season.

If you want something a bit lighter and more fun then Hustle is pretty good value and quite entertaining, or, going back into the archives a good few years Minder is still a classic, particularly for its first few seasons. I've heard the new remake/spinoff/updating/whatever you want to call it is a bit of a dud though, but again I haven't seen it so I can't honestly say.

Those are the top ones that spring to mind anyway, and which I'd personally recommend, though I'm sure there are plenty I've missed...
Sledge Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Sledge has recommended a few good ones. "Spooks" is quite highly thought of too, though I've not seen much of it myself.
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote