Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 11-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

It not only helps mix clay, but it kneeds it and conditions it and makes it workable faster than the poor hands could ever do!
Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
Ceramicus
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Hmm...this is coming from the guy who could squash three pounds of SS firm and three pounds of Premo together with one hand in about what, a half second -- and come out with a perfect blend.

Go check out his Batman thread -- Those are scaled down muscles by comparison.

In all seriousness though, Keith's advice is right on the money. I actually had to take a double take on his use of alchohol after lighter fluid, because that is exactly what I do.

Another tid bit for you...The foil will help some stress cracks from forming due to thickness of the clay or armature swell (you can actually wrap some foil around the arms and legs if you're using steel or copper for your armature wire -- because you don't need as thick of wire as the aluminum, and it helps give some bite for the SS to hold on to).

The other thing that is important is the baking time. There is a great thread on this if you search for it (I think it's by William Paquett?). Proper baking can help reduce cracks.
Ceramicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:38 AM   #13
Thomas
Doh!

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going tonight to buy some material and will practice with it this weekend. I'm really excited to try it out.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #14
Poisonous
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Some really great advice in this thread indeed. I need it as well, thanks guys.
Poisonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramicus View Post
Hmm...this is coming from the guy who could squash three pounds of SS firm and three pounds of Premo together with one hand in about what, a half second -- and come out with a perfect blend.

Go check out his Batman thread -- Those are scaled down muscles by comparison.

In all seriousness though, Keith's advice is right on the money. I actually had to take a double take on his use of alchohol after lighter fluid, because that is exactly what I do.

Another tid bit for you...The foil will help some stress cracks from forming due to thickness of the clay or armature swell (you can actually wrap some foil around the arms and legs if you're using steel or copper for your armature wire -- because you don't need as thick of wire as the aluminum, and it helps give some bite for the SS to hold on to).

The other thing that is important is the baking time. There is a great thread on this if you search for it (I think it's by William Paquett?). Proper baking can help reduce cracks.

RIGHT ON WILL!!!! I vote Will (ceramicus) FOR President!!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #16
occulum
U talkin' to me?

hey. on the topic of the pasta machine.
does anybody know where to by the shredding attachment. I cant find it anywhere and I see many people who have one on theres. prior to buying mine awhile back I lookd for one that came with this attachment, but finally gave up and bought one w/o it
occulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #17
High Lord Apocalypse
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

i too purchased the pasta machine after advice from kdawg and man it was best $20.00 i ever spent. it'll save you plenty of work,time and energy. and those of us with women know we need our energy!!
High Lord Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #18
Thomas
Doh!

Kdawg, do I need to wear gloves while mixing the epoxy putty? The instructions that came with it said that there's a known ingredient in there that causes cancer and to ensure to wear the proper protective wear.

Thanks!

-Tom
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #19
Ceramicus
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Thomas -- ALWAYS wear gloves when mixing that type of epoxy.

If you were using AVES ApoxySculpt, I would say it's ok to not use gloves, but the stuff you get at Home Depot or the hardware store is generally meant to be fast setting plumber's epoxy. It sets fast, smells bad, is a pain to get off your hands and is likely toxic. That said, if you need something to be held in place quickly, it is definitely the stuff.

Keith -- Dawg you friggen crack me up!
Ceramicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #20
iamneo
Doh!

by the way if anyone is interested, (and i believe this is something we have all been asking for). grey super sculpey soft is finally available to purchase. it is 13.95 lb. a little high. it is only available through sculpt.com.
iamneo is offline   Reply With Quote