Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
ratchet
Mandarin

Pretty stoked...

I decided to streamline my collection a bit and focus more on the things I enjoy the most. I decided to sell off most of my action figures and a chunk of comics (keeping both my Hulk and Defenders runs - but dropping most everything else)

The main reason for this was that I need to do some major renovations on my house, including a brand new rug for the family room - extending my patio - a new Washer/Dryer. All of this needs to be done BEFORE February when my son will be born. Yes, my wife and I are expecting our second child, a boy this time! When my daughter was born we bought the house - now, four years later, as much as we have done, I really want to step up the major changes we need to do to the house.

I had a three step plan to collect the funds needed to do these changes - one was eBay sales, another was trading in a chunk of stuff to a comic shop - and the last is a yard sale.

I had a number in mind to make for each of these things - and the eBay sales reached that yesterday with a half a dozen more auctions to go - amazingly, the figures I had not only held their value but actually appreciated way more than I expected! I sent a few pics of a small part of what I was going to bring to the comic shop and the guy sent back a quote... That was three hundred more than I was hoping to get for the whole lot!

Things are just going really well - it not only makes me happy but I feel like it sort of validated my collection to any of my family members that always scoffed at the "toys" I kept in my man cave.

I'm just really happy right now. Thanks for reading, if you made it all the way through...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

I'm in The opposite boat. Over the last few months Ive been selling up and it's nothing but a pain in the butt. Pieces I thought would pay my retirement haven't shifted.
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

The validation is a great feeling. There will always be misses but if you get the rights hits it will at least balance out. Statues and toys surprisingly really help increase the value of a collection -- at least more so than buying any new comics (which are good for kindling)

Congrats on the return from your collection.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

First of all congrats on the upcoming baby!!! And congrats for making some money. Having been in the same situation of selling off part of a collection (although I was opposite where I only kept my action figures and sold off everything else), it is really hit and miss as to what will sell and what it sells for. Some stuff sold for a lot more than I thought it was going to and some stuff that Iwas sure would sell quickly is just sitting in eBay listing limbo. I have gotten through almost all of the stuff I want to sell and am now just trying to sell the few remaining things without giving them away. After that comes the comics also! Did you sell yours in a big lot to a comic shop?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Good to hear Ryan! Will you be selling Hulk stuff at your future yard sale? If so, let us locals know!
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Teague
Iron Man

Congrats on the new addition to the family, man. Always more important than the stuff we collect, even if we love it.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
ratchet
Mandarin

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
First of all congrats on the upcoming baby!!! And congrats for making some money. Having been in the same situation of selling off part of a collection (although I was opposite where I only kept my action figures and sold off everything else), it is really hit and miss as to what will sell and what it sells for. Some stuff sold for a lot more than I thought it was going to and some stuff that Iwas sure would sell quickly is just sitting in eBay listing limbo. I have gotten through almost all of the stuff I want to sell and am now just trying to sell the few remaining things without giving them away. After that comes the comics also! Did you sell yours in a big lot to a comic shop?
Steve - I kept my Hulk and Defenders - but unloaded my Avengers #1 and 2, FF #12, 25 and 26 and a few other really early guest spots. I was shocked to learn that, in the few years since I bought them, a lot of key books have tripled in value! But yeah, I took a chunk of stuff to a friend and he gave me an offer that I was very happy with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmic View Post
Good to hear Ryan! Will you be selling Hulk stuff at your future yard sale? If so, let us locals know!
There will be plenty of hulk stuff out there!

Concentrating more on the comics, statues and original art - so everything else is pretty much going! I'll give you a call to tell you when Ted.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
patman
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

congratulations on the new baby
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Congrats on the new addition to the family, man. Always more important than the stuff we collect, even if we love it.
I seem to be collecting family members who move back home.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I seem to be collecting family members who move back home.
You are making them feel too welcome.