Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-11-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Bartman256
The X-Men

Any fans of the Doom Patrol here?

It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of DC. Die hard Marvel Zombie here!

BUT...I've always liked the Doom Patrol. I loved the characters, stories & artwork. Great, groundbreaking stuff. I also have enjoyed the controversy: X-Men vs Doom Patrol. The Doom Patrol were out before the X-Men. Did Marvel rip-off DC. The similarities between the 2 teams has kept this debate going. Great stuff.

It took time & money to put together a run of the original series starting with their 1st appearance in My Greatest Adventure (80-85), before taking over the title with issue 86. That ran until the Doom Patrols death in issue 121. The series ran for a couple of more issues with reprints.

This leads me to the latest incarnation of the Doom Patrol: The John Byrne ongoing series, starting in JLA & then to their current title.

I never had a problem with Robot Man being the sole survivor. From the 3 Showcase issues from the 70's that introduced us to the new team (I believe it was issues 95-97). Robot Man or what's left of him, washing up on the shore, being the sole survivor of the original team. A new team forming.

The 80's series (the best storyline was in the New Teen Titans featuring Robotman & the old Doom Patrol Rogues gallery (I think it was issues 13-15)), the 90's series. Both okay, but never capturing the magic from the 60's series.

That brings us to todays current series. John Byrne, the king of the revamp, has turned around & has the original team back. According to John, they never died & have been operating behind the scenes.
Really bad stuff...

I've been buying the series because I was such a fan of the original series, but, enough is enough. I can't deal with this crap anymore.

I was such a HUGE fan of this guys work on the Uncanny X-Men. The Fantastic Four run was really good too. Not to mention early artwork on the Iron Fist series & some Marvel Team-Up issues.

Then came the whole Superman thing. Re-boot, re-vamp, re-do, revitalize...whatever. Not too crazy about Supes, but read the 1st few issues. I could care less...

Then came the Spider-Man Year One thing. I really did not care for this at all...and neither did Marvel, because they have totally ignored whatever he did in that series.

I DID, however, enjoy the X-Men: The Hidden Years series. I think this ran around 18 issues before being canceled. This series filled in the gap between the end of the original series (issue 66), with the new team forming beginning with issue 94. Inbetween were reprint issues (67-93). This series covered that "missing" time. I enjoyed it very much.

Now the Doom Patrol. No more for me Mr. Byrne. I've had enough. I wish you would just stop ruining these great charcters & stick to penciling...
Bartman256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #2
gman
Kindly Asked To Leave

Arrow

i remember having a few of the original Doom Patrol books a few years back...I had a nice cgc 9.0 #121 and i think a few issues around 108-110. Some cool characters and great covers. Stories were so-so IMO....I also remember the Morrison books and the selling the #19s for good $ back in the day at shows.....
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
Garrett
Justice League

Cool

I use to read The Doom Patrol back in the days of My Greatest Adventure and loved the team, for some reason I never read the bit where most of them got killed off. I saw some of there returns Cliff and I think negative man but please can you tell me how Rita and the Chief returned I missed those issues.
I have only read they JLA and first 2 in there own series although I have later issues I have just not got round to reading. So far they are only 1 of 2 DC comics I’m ordering.
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
Babytoxie
Ghost

I like the classic version, but for me, nothing beats Morrison and Case's issues. That was some crazy stuff; one of my all-time favorite comic runs. They took extreme liberties with the characters, but I loved it nonetheless.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #5
Jack8022
Daredevil

I liked the older Doom Patrol stories and I'm really enjoying Bryne's new series.
Alot of fun.
Jack8022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
JR2
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I liked the Doom Patrol (classic and 80's version). However, this recent John Byrne version is absolutely horrible. The JLA storyline that Byrne and Claremont did to relaunch the Doom Patrol stunk too.

Blech!
JR2 is offline   Reply With Quote