Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
Babytoxie
Ghost

Need some advice on Peter David's HULK...

I've never been much of a Hulk fan, and I have never read any of PD's Hulk stories. Marvel is now reprinting these under the Marvel Visionaries header, with volume 1 out this week, I think. Would it be worth my time and $ to pick it up?

I've been having a ball with Marvel's reprints of Byrne's FF, Miller's DD, and Simonson's Thor. As I read all of these when they were originally serialized, I consider them the cream of the crop. With Peter David, I'm in the dark. I understand that his run on Hulk is considered by many to be the best, but why is that? The quality of writing? A new perspective on the characters? Something else?

Thanks for your help.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

It depends on what part of his run the visionaries is collecting. I would say 90% of Davids Hulk run is some of the best stuff I have ever read. Particluar the run from the eary/mid 90's when Dale Kewon followed by Gary Frank doing the art. Also, some of the earlier stuff was great too, one of the most famous Hulk covers was During David's run, it is the cover showing wolverine with his claws out with the hulk in the reflection, it was drawn by Todd Mcfarlane.

David touches upon a lot of social issues, and he is pretty liberal in his opinions. If those kind of politics turn you off, then I'd stay away, but otherwise he is definately one of the best. To this day I still read whatever titles he writes (Fallen Angel, Captain Marvel, and now the Hulk again). If your also looking at Peter David trade papabacks featuring the hulk, get Future Imperfect, written by David and drawn by George Perez. I hope you find that to be an enjoyable read.

As to why people liked David's Hulk run, I'm not sure. I liked it because he humanized the Hulk moresoe than any writer had before. He combined the Hulks personalities so he had the Hulk's body and strentgth but Bruce Banners mind. He also had a great supporting cast of characters (Rick Jones, Betty Ross, Marlo, Jim Wilson, etc). Peter David showed the Hulk had more sides to him than just "hulk smash", and how Dr. Banner's predicment affected the people closest to him in life. I think it is definately worth checking out.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
Babytoxie
Ghost

Thanks Sam. BTW, the book collects Hulk #331 - 339.

I expected a flood of responses, but only one person on this board has read PD's Hulk? Wow, it must not be that great.

C'mon! Anyone???
Old 01-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
bat_collector
Galactus

Sorry toxie, I'm more of a batman/x-men guy.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

PD's Hulk is one of my all-time favourite runs. Like Sam Wilson said, especially when Dale Keown and later Gary Frank joined. High quality stories with high quality art.
I really don't like the 'Hulk smash' persona, but David made the Hulk as smart as Bruce Banner and could do more with the character this way.
The issues you are talking about (331-339) are from PD's beginning of his run and I never read them. Dale Keown shows up at issue 370/380 and those issues ('till approx. #410) are defenitely worth the read!
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

The earlier issues collected by the essentials trade are good, but I have only read a few of those issues. I would still also check out the future imperfect trade, I don't know if it is in print but they always have a few copies at my comic sho. The kewon/Frank runs don't start untill issue 360 something.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
Babytoxie
Ghost

So here we are on Wednesday...

I bought it, along with Essential Peter Parker. Looks to be a good investment. I read PD's intro in the store, and it gave me a good idea of what to expect. Thanks guys!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
bat_collector
Galactus

You, toxie,check you PM!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
DLMEsquire
Frackin!

Peter David is one of the best writers in the comic field, and a really good guy too! I'd recommend his work highly!
DLMEsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:36 AM   #10
Babytoxie
Ghost

I'm enjoying it so far. Enjoyable stories, and a surprising quality print job, when compared to most of the cruddy color reprints of classic comics that Marvel's tossed at us of late. I even like the pencils of that rat-b@$t@#! Todd McFarlane, as they hadn't yet crossed into the realm of the absurd. A good investment!