Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Switch-Outs?
Love them! 18 39.13%
Want even more. 5 10.87%
Get rid of them. 14 30.43%
Get rid of them...except head portraits. 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2022, 09:07 PM   #1
Wizard
Justice League

Switchouts! Switchouts! Switchouts!

I get the arguments - bang for your buck, the more the better...but, I think I'm officially over the normalcy and expectation of statue switch outs. We have weapons switch outs. Head switch outs. Arm switch outs. Torso switch outs. Is a matter of time before we have base switch outs?

I have a large drawer filled with nothing but switch outs!

And how often do I actually switch out pieces? Hardly ever. Even the head portraits.

I know I'm most likely in the minority here, but anyone else just want a beautiful, solid sculpt without the multitude of pose switch out possibilities?

To my fellow collectors, do you love these things?

Do you actually switch out on a regular basis?

Would you expect a lower price if there were no switch outs (knowing, of course, the companies would not lower the price)?
Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:15 PM   #2
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I rarely switch anything out. I think that when I got the Tweeterhead Batgirl statue I wanted her with the batarang and since I had her near Batman, I took his batarang hand away since I did not want them both to have batarangs (no idea why). Other than that I cannot think when I did a switch out other than that in recent years.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:21 PM   #3
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

99% of my switch out pieces sleep in their box or my designated "switch out container".

The Mezco Conan switch outs are another story. i've been swapping them weekly. Head, weapons, clothing. They're all magnificent. Easily one of the best statues in a long, long time.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:03 AM   #4
Gyro Zeppeli
Zot

I hate them. Just make separate versions. The switch outs just sit in boxes or on the base 99% of the time for me. It's just an extra $100+ tacked on.
Gyro Zeppeli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:11 AM   #5
SDguy

I almost never use them, but I also don't really care if they make them. It's nice to have an option though, in case no switch-out means only the less desirable option (from my perspective) gets made.

My biggest issue is when they cause visible problems with the statue, like really bad seam lines (ie Hulk, Venom necks).
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:33 AM   #6
Asgard
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I always rebuild my statues. I want a lot more switchouts
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:33 AM   #7
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

I prefer the options. Especially for heads, it could be the deciding factor in a purchase if one portrait is lackluster and the other is fantastic. For instance, as much as I love the Asajj Ventress Mythos, I'm not entirely sure I would've gotten it if it didn't have that great hooded portrait.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:00 AM   #8
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Switch outs are good if...

1) They are well thought out in relation to making the seam invisible.

2) They make a significant change to the statue - i.e. I can have my Deadpool serious (i.e. weapons in hand and mask down) or goofy (mask up and puckering with phone in hand taking selfie), or I can have Carol Danvers with or without helmet.

I will generally pick a specific set up and then stick to that set up. I'm not one to switch stuff out on a regular basis, but I like the options.

I understand people not wanting to pay any more than they need to for statues, however people have different tastes so whose to say which options are the best to choose for a "basic" version, and from a manufacturers perspective it'd be an absolute pain to offer a "pick your parts" option at the point of sale.
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:04 AM   #9
Exorcist
Hydra

No I absolutely do not like switchouts. Like you said; They are just laying around in a drawer.
Exorcist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:08 AM   #10
Drakul
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I never switch out anything once I pick one but I do like the option at first to find my favorite.
Drakul is offline   Reply With Quote