Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #1731
Amazing Peter
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Yes, competition is good, but how is SS getting their butts kicked? What XM? Prime 1?

Remember, SS is still top banana, and ALL other companies are aspiring to be the next Sideshow. Does SS screw-up? Sure. So do they all.
I agree completely
Amazing Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #1732
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Yes, competition is good, but how is SS getting their butts kicked? What XM? Prime 1?

Remember, SS is still top banana, and ALL other companies are aspiring to be the next Sideshow. Does SS screw-up? Sure. So do they all.
Pretty much every statue XM and P1 does destroys what SSC has to offer, in my opinion. I'm still laughing at their new Lobo statue. XM's X-Men stuff is killer. However, SSC has lower prices, so that's to be expected. Now, I'm not saying SSC isn't killing it financially, but XM and P1 are definitely taking away market share.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #1733
Oak
Fantastic Four

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #1734
Oak
Fantastic Four

From a collector POV, I do agree XM and P1 were kicking SS’ butt. Their pieces are amazing and at a very good price-point. SS’ recent reveals however has them taking back the crown in glorious fashion if they can deliver the end product properly. SS may never be the “value for the dollar” king again, but they are looking like they will have the best looking 1/4 pieces.
Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #1735
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:

Agreed. SS has sooooo much issues and their work is not always the best, but which statue company is not like that? I can’t believe I am saying this but they are the statue company that actually seems to have their business under control compared to others. For me, they are still, even with their problems, the best in the business.

Most of the XM’s statues don’t really strike the chord with me (they seem a bit plastic and lifeless at times) and they are way too expensive for me to overlook small faults, and most of the P1 statues often look really stiff and their scales are too big to collect multiple. Both have fair share of truly impressive pieces, but that is true for Sideshow as well.
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #1736
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
From a collector POV, I do agree XM and P1 were kicking SS’ butt. Their pieces are amazing and at a very good price-point. SS’ recent reveals however has them taking back the crown in glorious fashion if they can deliver the end product properly. SS may never be the “value for the dollar” king again, but they are looking like they will have the best looking 1/4 pieces.
Yes, the competition has made SSC make improvements and their new stuff is really good.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #1737
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I've been thinking about this for a while. Sideshow is far and away the best statue company out there. The artistic talent they employ is second to none. Daniel Bel has them on a crazy hot streak right now and they can always call on their other aces (Will Harbottle) when needed for any project. But say you disagree with the art in some cases that fine. We cannot overlook that Sideshow has the best customer service in the Industry. I'm not even sure that debatable. People trust their cash with Sideshow. They respond to issues better than anyone in the industry. Also they provide the occasional coupon and a standing 5% cashback for purchases as you all well know adds up. I guess my overall point is we should not overlook all the things that go around buying these expensive collectibles.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #1738
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:

In my opinion if we are talking the top 3 for me...

#3 - XM is a very good statue company that competes well with Sideshow. Their strength is dynamic pieces, a tendency to following source material, characters that are sometimes B or C class, and bases that tell a story. Packaging and presentation they are at the top of the industry. Weaknesses are that they are still catching up to what Sideshow can do with portraits and in some cases, fine details. Materials used are different so maybe has an effect? Many times I like what they do with characters more. Prices are climbing though and that shipping is ouch! Interaction with the customer is unmatched!

#2 - I think Sideshow is a very good statue company that has introduced most of us to fine art statue collectibles. They do a good job producing pieces with some of the top talent in the business. Their weakness comes in from the production side and their manufacturing partners. In addition to talented artists, they also have the key licenses which holds the US market captive. Prototypes come out amazing but I always sweat the production piece. Is it too much to ask to ship what is advertised? Best customer service in the business!

#1 - New to me on the scene and really the definition of kicking butt! Prime 1. These guys really brought me back into the hobby with their Arkham 1/3 line. When I got my first piece (Batman Beyond) I was blown away with what a company could produce. Proto matches production. Quality just every turn which mostly comes from superb paint. I really wish they had access to all of the licenses as I believe the US market would be taken from Sideshow. Weakness is waiting. Waiting for the piece. Waiting for replacements. Waiting. But in the end you get what you pay for. And with the market pricing the way it is and trending, the best value in the market even though you will be spending over $1K.

I've resolved to waiting on Sideshow pieces and comparing what I could pick up from Prime 1. Sure Sideshow gets me excited on those prototype pictures of characters I want in my collection. But the value side of me asks am I really getting the most for my money?

Prime 1 baby.

....this post was way too long.
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #1739
Amazing Peter
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Pretty much every statue XM and P1 does destroys what SSC has to offer, in my opinion. I'm still laughing at their new Lobo statue. XM's X-Men stuff is killer. However, SSC has lower prices, so that's to be expected. Now, I'm not saying SSC isn't killing it financially, but XM and P1 are definitely taking away market share.
The wolverine pf kills the xm brown wolverine matter of fact I’m not a fan of the xm I have to pee stand gambit either
Amazing Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #1740
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Peter View Post
The wolverine pf kills the xm brown wolverine matter of fact I’m not a fan of the xm I have to pee stand gambit either
Naw, XM's Wolverine with the Samurai base and the swords and bone claws is epic. Also, their Gambit has better details and texturing. The SSC Gambit looks too thick (he should be tall and lean) and he's wearing 80s women's workout pants. The SSC will cost less, so great bang for buck, I just prefer XM. Don't get me wrong though, I love the SSC Gambit.