Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarron View Post
I haven't heard a lot but i think your are transporting the girl somewhere
That's what they've revealed so far, probably more to it once you start playing the game. Seems more like a 'It's about the journey, not the destination' type story to me.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

rated 10/10 in edge magazine (which has always been one of my favourite games mags) They said "Naughty Dog has delivered the most riveting, emotionally resonant story-driven epic of this console generation"
sounds pretty good to me!
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
rated 10/10 in edge magazine (which has always been one of my favourite games mags) They said "Naughty Dog has delivered the most riveting, emotionally resonant story-driven epic of this console generation"
sounds pretty good to me!
For some reason, this doesn't sound good to me. Nothing in that line says anything about gameplay. If you removed "console generation" you would think they are talking about a movie. Which is probably the point to help sell the game.

Still, I'll check it out eventually. I only saw the release trailer from a while back.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
Luminous
Cyclops

Funny, I think everything about that description sounds amazing.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
For some reason, this doesn't sound good to me. Nothing in that line says anything about gameplay. If you removed "console generation" you would think they are talking about a movie. Which is probably the point to help sell the game.

Still, I'll check it out eventually. I only saw the release trailer from a while back.
well it is only one quote from the whole review which, in full, obviously discusses gameplay more indepth
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Funny, I think everything about that description sounds amazing.
I'd have to agree. This is a game that's being commented on, so obviously the game play has to be great. I don't see them making that statement and then ending with... "but the game play sucks."
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
ComputerFly
The Phantom

I played the demo. The graphics are really well done and the voice dialog seemed movie quality. The play action was nice with the ability to build some in-game inventory items out of other items you find. I did find these beginning 'monsters' to be rather lackluster in design, and not scary, but these are probably the most basic of attackers. It gets fun when you have a crowd of the 'walkers' come after you at once. There is a lot of running and hiding involved.

I'm definitely going to give the full version a try.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
well it is only one quote from the whole review which, in full, obviously discusses gameplay more indepth
But see the most important thing in a videogame is the gameplay. When I see quotes like this I know they are going after a certain market. The market that wants "Interactive Entertainment." That failed miserably back in the 90s with early CD-ROM systems. The only reason it's successful now is because of the graphics and the fact that people pick up videogame systems for reasons other than videogames now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I'd have to agree. This is a game that's being commented on, so obviously the game play has to be great. I don't see them making that statement and then ending with... "but the game play sucks."
I believe the last quote on one of Edge's Assassin's Creed reviews was something like it's not a game you'll want to play again after finishing it. But they still gave the game an 8 or 9...That sort of game deserves a 6 or 7 at best. But we know what happened the last time a videogame magazine gave Assassin's Creed a 6...

This is why I don't read magazines or reviews anymore. Next Generation/Edge gave Ico I think an 8 (or 4 out of 5) if I remember correctly. That was the last time I actually got a magazine. Ico is a 10 game but they didn't realize it and thought it was just a Prince of Persia type that had simplistic gameplay and was probably too short. I've played Ico more times than I can remember. Of course Ico is still being referenced today in a game like Last of Us. One of the designers just mentioned it. Also Resident Evil 4, which many don't give it due credit. That is a basically a 10 videogame too. Although I give it a 9.5 because I think the story should have been about the fall of Umbrella. Especially after the events of Resident Evil: Code Veronica.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post

I believe the last quote on one of Edge's Assassin's Creed reviews was something like it's not a game you'll want to play again after finishing it. But they still gave the game an 8 or 9...That sort of game deserves a 6 or 7 at best.
I guess the scores are usually subjective, and it can be hard to get an unbiased review sometimes.

For me replay value doesn't weigh very heavily. I want the game to be really fun and engaging to play, as well as look and sound great, but when I finish it I'm usually done with it. Unless I don't have another game waiting for me to get into, which I usually do. Maybe it has to do with me not really playing too many shooters or fighting games, those kinds of games do rely more on replay value.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I guess the scores are usually subjective, and it can be hard to get an unbiased review sometimes.

For me replay value doesn't weigh very heavily. I want the game to be really fun and engaging to play, as well as look and sound great, but when I finish it I'm usually done with it. Unless I don't have another game waiting for me to get into, which I usually do. Maybe it has to do with me not really playing too many shooters or fighting games, those kinds of games do rely more on replay value.
I agree for the most part. While I won't say replay value isn't important, the initial experience on the first play through is FAR important to me than whether or not I'll play it again later. Blow me away with a strong narrative and engaging gameplay the first time, and I won't care if I'm going to immediately run through it again or not.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote