Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #4841
Alpha_Flight
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Looks more like Brendan Fraser than Ryu.

I think the exaggerated SF4 / SF5 iterations of Ryu look very mutant like all around. I think SF2 and SF3 definitely have the best designs for Ryu. Really wish Capcom completely went the other way regarding design of SF5... looks to me like a tweaked SF4 model of Ryu.

Can't mess with Alvin though, his skills are top notch. Still the best Street Fighter artist around. He should work for Capcom, never mind Riot lol.
Alpha_Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #4842
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Flight View Post

I think the exaggerated SF4 / SF5 iterations of Ryu look very mutant like all around. I think SF2 and SF3 definitely have the best designs for Ryu. Really wish Capcom completely went the other way regarding design of SF5... looks to me like a tweaked SF4 model of Ryu.

Can't mess with Alvin though, his skills are top notch. Still the best Street Fighter artist around. He should work for Capcom, never mind Riot lol.
Hey Alpha,

I know you're a fellow SF art aficionado, so I respect your opinion.

But I think you're making a few snap judgments with your above comment.

For one, SF4 and SF5 (other than both using 3D models) look nothing alike.

Maybe you haven't seen enough SF5 yet to make a proper assessment?

Honestly, SF5 looks like a 3D rendered version of SF3. Check out Chun Li and Ryu's animations. Many of them are even returning from 3s!

IMHO.....

SF4 looks like a 3D rendered version of the Alpha series. Seriously, go take a look at the massively exaggerated muscle of the Alpha series. Even Ken and Ryu are He-Man size. (I'm all good with that)

SF5 looks slimmer, sleeker and more fluid and refined. Just like the SF3 series.

And I'm sure that's no accident! Because SF5 seems to be set after 3s! So it is the actual successor to the 3 series. So it should appear to be a semi natural evolution.

Take a few more peeks at SF5 and watch the animations. If you've spent as much time as I have staring at SF games, you'll see what I mean.

Have a good one
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #4843
darkdealx
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Watched!

Nicely put and makes sense in every way possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornFreeSF View Post
I haven't watched it yet but this is all the cutscenes from SF4-USF4 edited into some kind of canon movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZQwV7Gvwcs
darkdealx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #4844
rgm501
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
Hey Alpha,

Honestly, SF5 looks like a 3D rendered version of SF3. Check out Chun Li and Ryu's animations. Many of them are even returning from 3s!

IMHO.....

SF4 looks like a 3D rendered version of the Alpha series. Seriously, go take a look at the massively exaggerated muscle of the Alpha series. Even Ken and Ryu are He-Man size. (I'm all good with that)

SF5 looks slimmer, sleeker and more fluid and refined. Just like the SF3 series.

And I'm sure that's no accident! Because SF5 seems to be set after 3s! So it is the actual successor to the 3 series. So it should appear to be a semi natural evolution.

Take a few more peeks at SF5 and watch the animations. If you've spent as much time as I have staring at SF games, you'll see what I mean.

Have a good one
I gotta disagree jop,
First off, saying sf4 looks like a 3d version of the alpha series..? Do disrespect but WTF are you serious dude? That's a ridiculous statement.

I've watched the comparison videos and watched the trailer a few times myself and I gotta say I think streetfighter 4 and Street fighter 5 do look different when comparing the face models.
But that huge exaggerated anatomy is still there, I think They need to tone down the street fighter 5 models.

Everybody knows Street fighter has always been exaggerated when it comes to the muscles and anatomy but Street fighter 4 and 5 are way over the top..

Personally I think streetfighter 5 ryu looks nothing like 3rd strike ryu, maybe the hair but that's it.
But more worrying is the animation for ryu's moves, especially his sweep it looks so awkward and clunky. I can see they are trying to make it look like sf3 but sh!t they need to try a lot harder than that.

On the bright side when the first footage for street fighter 4 came out, it looked pretty crap.
By the time it was released it looking much different, so let's hope the same will happen with sf5.
rgm501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #4845
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgm501 View Post
I gotta disagree jop,
First off, saying sf4 looks like a 3d version of the alpha series..? Do disrespect but WTF are you serious dude? That's a ridiculous statement.

I've watched the comparison videos and watched the trailer a few times myself and I gotta say I think streetfighter 4 and Street fighter 5 do look different when comparing the face models.
But that huge exaggerated anatomy is still there, I think They need to tone down the street fighter 5 models.

Everybody knows Street fighter has always been exaggerated when it comes to the muscles and anatomy but Street fighter 4 and 5 are way over the top..

Personally I think streetfighter 5 ryu looks nothing like 3rd strike ryu, maybe the hair but that's it.
But more worrying is the animation for ryu's moves, especially his sweep it looks so awkward and clunky. I can see they are trying to make it look like sf3 but sh!t they need to try a lot harder than that.

On the bright side when the first footage for street fighter 4 came out, it looked pretty crap.
By the time it was released it looking much different, so let's hope the same will happen with sf5.
It's cool brotha,

I value (and respect) your opinion as well. IMHO SFA and SF3 have roided out muscle just the same as 4-5. But less prominent in pixilated form

I agree that we should reserve judgement until we've seen a bit more.

Side note: The sweep animation may have looked "clunky" to you because for the first time ever there are different animations for the attacker depending on Hit vs Block.

I.E Hit = traditional follow-through vs Block = a stunned recoil effect animation.

Perhaps you witnessed a blocked sweep?

Edit: It may also be noteworthy to mention that all of the alpha characters in SF4 are based directly off of their SFAlpha designs (with some tweaks like rose's costume).

Overall I think SF4 did a great job of bringing together characters (and art styles) from every Street Fighter game.

And I expect even more polish from SF5.
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:12 AM   #4846
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
It's cool brotha,

I value (and respect) your opinion as well. IMHO SFA and SF3 have roided out muscle just the same as 4-5. But less prominent in pixilated form

I agree that we should reserve judgement until we've seen a bit more.

Side note: The sweep animation may have looked "clunky" to you because for the first time ever there are different animations for the attacker depending on Hit vs Block.

I.E Hit = traditional follow-through vs Block = a stunned recoil effect animation.

Perhaps you witnessed a blocked sweep?
Appropriate (i.e. more realistic) physics in character model interactions is what has me most excited for the PS4/Xbone generation. 90%+ of my gaming is spent on NHL and Street Fighter.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #4847
Alpha_Flight
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Hey Alpha,

IMHO.....

Have a good one
Hey Jop,

It is not so much the anatomy of SF4 characters that bothers me, so much as some of the character faces. Ryu, Ken, Akuma and Guile mainly. The bug eyes / short hair and weird mouth of Ryu really get to me.

I am all for classic Ryu:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...7/Ryu_face.gif

I personally love the exaggerated anime like proportions, as to me, that defines Street Fighter characters. Alpha has some of the best character designs IMHO, including one of my favourites - Beefy Bison. The art of Bengus and Alvin Lee (Especially during his UDON SF comic run) really plays on the exaggerated anatomy.

From what I've seen in the SF5 trailer - Ryu still looks off (To ME at least). l I am not so sure that it takes place after SF3 or before, as Ryu still has the SF4 style gloves. SF3 Ryu had the classic style gloves with no symbols.

Anyway, to each their own I am looking forward to further model tweaking and character reveals for SF5! Let's hope they bring back Bison, I've always wanted to see a Bison vs. Gill showdown
Alpha_Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #4848
BornFreeSF
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Pretty cool. Samurai Cammy depiction.

BornFreeSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #4849
akumakiller
I am da law!

Cammy and chunners!
akumakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #4850
darkdealx
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

That's a nice picture indeed of Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornFreeSF View Post
Pretty cool. Samurai Cammy depiction.

darkdealx is offline   Reply With Quote