Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 05-15-2011, 05:00 AM   #11
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Never had that problem before, but one tip I picked up (from Danno I believe) is to spray on the alclad gloss black, let it dry for half an hour, then spray on another coat till it's "slimy' glossy then immediately apply the chrome etc. over it. That way the chrome sticks in the wet black and won't rub off if handled.
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_fan96 View Post
i had a problem one time with Alclad paints. I primered it with duplicolor, let it dry for about an hour, sprayed with Duplicolor Gloss Black, let it dry overnight, and then sprayed with Alclad. The Alclad wouldn't stick to the gloss paint and I got a terrible cracked bubbly look.

You ever had that happen?
I honestly think you worked to fast, i have had issues when i first started to mess with alclad trying to get it all done in one day.

For example: One morning i primed up a item, sanded it down got it smooth and then reprimed it, let it sit for 40min and then gloss coated it a few times, Later that night i did my alclad and it came out all messy and spotty. Not that i did the alclad heavy, that the gloss coat seemed react to the alclad. Seemed that when ever i tried to get it done in a day or so it never came out smooth.

I have had better results priming up a item on a saturday, then on a sunday sand it all down and primer seal it. Then the following weekend i would gloss coat it and have that sit on my shelf for a week.
Then when i went to alclad it came out super smooth, and i was able to buff the alclad without any issues with the gloss coat.

These duplicolor paints are car paint and car paint really never truly dries in 20min like the can says. If you want a nice gloss coat, its best to let it dry for a few days. This gives it a nice hard shell and dries to the point where nothing else should react to it.

These are my findings with gloss coat and alclad, and i rather work on a item for a week or two to get a super shinny chrome look then try and bang it out in one day having to redo it all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voshizle@gmail. View Post
Never had that problem before, but one tip I picked up (from Danno I believe) is to spray on the alclad gloss black, let it dry for half an hour, then spray on another coat till it's "slimy' glossy then immediately apply the chrome etc. over it. That way the chrome sticks in the wet black and won't rub off if handled.

Ive never run into a issue with alclad waiting a week for my gloss coat to dry and harden with it not sticking to the paint.

I mist alclad, buff, mist and buff and mist and buff, takes me 3 coats to get my shine. Once thats done i always use the future floor polish to seal it so handling the alclad area wont rub off. Some say you dont need to seal alclad but i do and it works.

Just never use testors gloss coat on alclad, that stuff will react to it in a very very bad way.

Hope this all helps.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote