Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 12-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
I haven't looked at the particulars of Canada's gun laws since I gave up my own firearms in 2008, but I would expect them to be not terribly different from the laws in NY.

As such, it isn't gun control that reduces these types of incidents in Canada.
I think its just a general disinterest in guns that most Canadians share.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I wish some American's were not as violent anyways.
Our culture has a lot of problems beyond the weapons issue.
We are failing to instill enough values and morality. And no
I am not religious about that, I'm not religious personally.
America has it's own unique problems in regards
to crime that does not map onto other nations well.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
by tougher gun laws I guess I meant more along the lines of "When is the USA going to wake up and realize that every man, woman and child does not have to be armed 24/7?"

I know the country has a right to bear arms (or a right to arm bears...one of those) but when does it stop?

What percentage of Americans have a gun in their house? Check the same stat for Canadians. Significantly lower on Canada's side and significantly less violence (although it still happens occasionally).

While cops in Canada put their lives on the line each day, they aren't fearing for their lives with every call they take. They can do a routine traffic stop without thinking they're about to get shot.

On my honeymoon this past August, my wife and I were in St Lucia. We met a young couple from Texas on one of our day trips. 99% of the time they opened their mouths it was about how many guns they have and how they will happily shoot someone dead if they step foot on their property.

On a trip to Florida the year before, we met a couple from New York who sleep with a gun on their bedside table.

So ultimately, what I mean is...where does it end?

A few days ago it was a classroom full of kids, yesterday it was a firefighter...what will it take to realize that the biggest problem in the US isn't that there isn't enough protection, but that the sheer quantity of the weapons is the problem. When you put a gun (legal or illegal) in every citizen's hands, it'll never lead to anything positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
I think its just a general disinterest in guns that most Canadians share.

I have a general disinterest in french fries topped with gravy & cheese curds and watching hockey. In case you haven't noticed, we may be closely located geographically, but that's where the similarities end between our countries. I fail to see the point in comparing the amount of gun ownership between the two nations when you fully admit one nation has little interest in them and the other is quite enthusiastic about them. Again, just one of numerous differences between our nations. But just to educate you on the subject, a little under 40% of American households have at least one gun. Not exactly a gun "in every citizen's hands" as you put it.
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I'll just wait til te NRA comes out and says that the firemen should wear semi automatic Uzis to each fire. Yep. More guns, that's the answer.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I found it interesting that that NRA suggested after the recent tragedy of the school shooting that armed security should be provided at every school. Who's is going to pay for that? Them?

No doubt they will now call for firefighters to carry guns also.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
This guy beat his grandmother to death with a hammer, and was let out of prison.
The usual extremists will all come out salivating over gun control, and ignore this utter failure of our justice system. Notice a pattern emerging here?
Just like they ignore the fact our OWN government supplied guns to drug cartels in Mexico and were responsible for the deaths of many people. All in the pursuit to blame the 2nd amendment and strip our rights away.
It's not a conspiracy when it's a fact.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I found it interesting that that NRA suggested after the recent tragedy of the school shooting that armed security should be provided at every school. Who's is going to pay for that? Them?

The Teachers Unions and ultimately the tax payers.
We already pay for billions of dollars to invade foreign countries
and wage illegal and unconstitutional wars. I think the least we can do is put some of that towards securing our schools.
I'm sure returning vets will be ready to be employed and jump at the chance, since finding employment these days is growing slimmer.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

But why isn't the NRA contributing?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #19
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:

Society doesn't blink at a liquor store owner being armed or court houses, or sporting events having armed security. The school where the DC bigshots kids go has armed guards as normal policy.

We need not spend a fortune on this. These kooks tend to give up the ghost upon being confronted with a gun.
A few volunteers at a school that are willing and already work there agree to be trained and granted access to secured fiearms and also less lethal solutions as well would work.

People learn CPR, the schools have fire drills and extinquishers. It's called being prepared.
A few trained people can make all the difference.
Emergency drills can be different types. We all learned earthquake and fire when I was in school, a security drill would be good to do to.
School shootings are very very very rare however.
Childrens deaths by firearm is like 1% of the causes of death of kids.
It's a very tiny percentage of what kills kids, but obviously like a plane crash extremely dramatic and emotional. It launches a political debate every time.
But in the time I have typed this, kids have died because of other preventable things.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
But why isn't the NRA contributing?
They pay taxes like every taxpayer. I'd say that makes them contributors.
The average soldier's salary? I don't know what it is...but I don't see why they can't be trained and deputized then placed within a school.
Can we really not find soldiers who are not actively engaged. Our money already goes to them to sit on ships or whatever else they are doing while they're not doing anything.