Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 09-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #21
RC212
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Anything in the Valdemar series by Mercades Lackey... there are some touchy subjects in those and some things that I am just like man you could have done with out that but hey outside of the anything by Tolkien, Jordan or Brian Jaques you can never go wrong with
RC212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:04 AM   #22
k9ziggy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

David Eddings (2) series, the Belgariad and the Mallorean. A total of 10 books, and a modern masterpiece. I have read the full series 4 times, and still look forward to the next time.

Elizabeth Moon - Deeds of Paksenarion (sp?) Haven't read this trilogy for a while, but remember that I really liked it the first time.
k9ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:57 AM   #23
DDura711
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just read "THE BAD TWIN" in like three and a half hours. It's written by a Ghost Writer that died in the plane crash that went down in the lost TV show. It's just a book that has NOTHING to do with the show but a tie in to make money.
With that said, it was really a pretty good mystery story. Very quick read, only 257 pages long and easy to follow, read like a movie most of the time. Worth $20? Meh.... but it was worth the time reading.
DDura711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #24
sellin71
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

One of my favorite books of all time is "Fools Die" by Mario Puzo. It has a little mafia and alot of Vegas.
sellin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:26 PM   #25
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

"The Big Nowhere" and "The Black Dahlia" both by James Ellroy. Pulp fiction that's harder boiled than a 20 minute egg.
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #26
Underdog07
Hercules

Zurb (and everyone) - The Alchemist is a truly inspiring book. I read it for the first time about 10 years ago and since then have re-read it at least 5 times. Definitely a must read.

Coehlo's other books are also worth a look.

On the lighter side, I am a sucker for James Patterson stories. These I always get on CD and listen to them on road trips.

Also, Brad Meltzer's first book - The Tenth Justice - is an entertaining thriller.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:54 AM   #27
stormshadow007
Death is hereditary.

Hey Zurb, can you fill me in on the latest on what happened to Richard and Kahlan from the Sword of Truth series? Last book I read was when Richard duked it out with his evil son and then I think Richard disappeared or something like that. A man picked up something in the rubble of the destroyed palace/citadel that Richard's son built .....read it a while back so my memory might not be that good. I'll have to ask my sister if she got the latest book yet.
stormshadow007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #28
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Yes man by Danny Wallace
Are you Dave Gorman by Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace
Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Nathaniel's Nutmeg: How One Man's Courage Changed the Course of History by Giles Milton - I LOVE this book and would reccomend it to anyone

Mr Benn's Little Book of Life (one of my favourite shows as a kid - and an adult!)

I second the Life of Pi

To kill a Mockingbird by harper Lee
of Mice & men by John Steinbeck
Kingdom Come by Elliot S. Maggin
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:55 AM   #29
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormshadow007 View Post
Hey Zurb, can you fill me in on the latest on what happened to Richard and Kahlan from the Sword of Truth series? Last book I read was when Richard duked it out with his evil son and then I think Richard disappeared or something like that. A man picked up something in the rubble of the destroyed palace/citadel that Richard's son built .....read it a while back so my memory might not be that good. I'll have to ask my sister if she got the latest book yet.
Your memory is shot. Richard doesn't have a son. He's been duking it out with a lot of evil folks though.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #30
zatoichi
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Location: Tucson, AZ. - a hundred miles from anywhere and three feet above Hell
I have a few that I jump back and forth from, I usually read for a while in the evenings when I get home after work.
Just finished the 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail', then 'DaVinci Code', I liked them both because I treated them both like fiction.
Currently reading a few non-fiction works: 'See No Evil' from Robert Baer. It was the basis for the George Clooney movie "Syriana". Very good book.
Also have in que, 'The Guns of August' by Barbara Tuchman, about the opening days of WW1. '1421- the year China discovered America', by Gavin Menzies, 'Collapse' by Jared Diamond. I highly recommend all of these.
Also, when I want to alternate into fiction, I am reading through the last Conan collected stories by from Robert E. Howard. That series is incredibly good.
If someone is into crime/noir fiction, everything done by Raymond Chandler and James Ellroy.
For historical fiction of the Roman era, I highly recommend 'I, Claudius' and 'Claudius the God' by Robert Graves.
Also, being a fan of the Ridley Scott/ Harrison Ford movie 'Bladerunner', I recommend "Future Noir - the making of Blade Runner"
The last great sci-fi I read was 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card, and 'Lord of Light' by Roger Zelazny.
Last great war fiction I read was the short novel 'The Short Timers' -- this is what Stanley Kubric's based his movie 'Full Metal Jacket' on. The book is twice as outstanding as the movie.
More mainstream-ish fiction, I highly recommend 'Life of Pi', and for those craving deep, dark, black humor, 'Ghosts' by Chuck Palanuk.
For graphic novles and manga, I highly recommend 'Lone Wolf and Cub', 'Akira', 'GTO', and 'Initial D'. 'GTO' is a narrow stand out -- I have never read a comic series I have laughed out loud at. Worth every penny.
I'd recommend the manga books over the anime on those titles (no anime is out there for 'Lone Wolf'.
For the VERY adult/action oriented manga, 'Crying Freeman'. Not for the kids, along with 'Lone Wolf and Cub'.
zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote