Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 08-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #301
WolverineFan
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I won't even consider this piece if it is that hideous pearl/pure white color like the Bowen.

I already hate the boots on this piece (the flaky, crusty texture) and the prostitute heels they added. If it's white, that is the nail in the coffin for me.

Not to mention, the sculpted renders pale in comparison to how awesome the original artwork was for this piece. I was stoked when I saw the artwork, and really let down when the sculpted pics started showing up.
I agree with everything you said. I'm not sold on this either but I really want to be
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #302
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I agree with everything you said. I'm not sold on this either but I really want to be
That being said, the other thing I keep thinking about is this. It's supposed to be based on the Jim Lee costume, but with all the changes they've made, it looks so far from Jim Lee's Storm, it's not even funny.

The portraits and hair have no JL in them at all, the costume was smooth, metallic silver, the boots were flat soled, and in general, the costume didn't have all these ribbed/flaky textures, etc. I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

I just don't get it.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #303
HBK83
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
It is silver/grey. A polished gunmetal. NEVER white in the comics though. Cartoon, yes. Comics, no. Her hair and suit were never intended to be the same color. The FOX cartoon did that.

Which makes me wonder if Disney would want ties to a cartoon that doesn't make them money.....

I see nothing white other than her hair, and eyes, in comic images. And the MPQ image (the last) is from a currently running game that marvel approves. And for the record, those comic images span many years and many different artist/colorists.
To be fair those are your examples. The last picture you posted for example it's white with deep shading. The only ones that are silver/grey are the middle 2 the other are white with black and very light blue shading.
And there is no way to pull this off on resin. If would look like a straight silver if they used silver paint. They would have to do base white with deep shading around it. But like you said moon knight is a good example.
HBK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #304
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
That being said, the other thing I keep thinking about is this. It's supposed to be based on the Jim Lee costume, but with all the changes they've made, it looks so far from Jim Lee's Storm, it's not even funny.

The portraits and hair have no JL in them at all, the costume was smooth, metallic silver, the boots were flat soled, and in general, the costume didn't have all these ribbed/flaky textures, etc. I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

I just don't get it.

With XM you either get a modern version of their outfits (IE: Magneto) or they go comic book (IE: Phoenix). I do wish XM would keep it consistent but they seem to bounce back and forth, they also do this with portraits, either it's realistic looking or it's more simple comic book looking.

They need to pick a style and stick with it for the entire line.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #305
rjszar
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK83 View Post
To be fair those are your examples. The last picture you posted for example it's white with deep shading. The only ones that are silver/grey are the middle 2 the other are white with black and very light blue shading.
And there is no way to pull this off on resin. If would look like a straight silver if they used silver paint. They would have to do base white with deep shading around it. But like you said moon knight is a good example.
I have always been a fan of the white suit because I loved the cartoon, but I'm with Demona on this. Silver is accurate. I don't agree with your assessments of what colors are represented in those pictures. The artists probably chose those particular colors to represent as best they could they reflective nature of silver. You say that the first picture is of a white suit yet it's done nothing like Storm's hair or Iceman's body. Why would you draw a white suit where 80% of the colors used are something other than white? White is the accent in this case, not the primary.

What exactly can't they pull off? Shading? You can shade a silver color just as well as you can shade any other color. Shading, tinting or toning requires adding various amounts of either white or black or both to a color. Even just using gray by itself would be an appropriate way to shade the statue, but there are plenty of different silvers you could use anyway.....Aluminum, stainless steel, platinum.
rjszar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #306
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I haven't seen the printed images. Got any to PM me? I have never minded the added texture or the heels. She flies and uses elements to fight. If she were Pyslocke or Rogue, yea the heels would tick me off. I think you wouldn't mind the modified costume so much if the "crusty hooker boots" where gone and they were just smooth.

As for her in general -- my concern was the hair. She should NOT have medusa hair. She controls the wind that touches her, not the other way around. Therefore, her hair should have movement but all in a similar direction and together. As detached tendrils the implication is there is a bunch of uncontrolled wind around her which makes no damn sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK83 View Post
But like you said moon knight is a good example.
Moon knight is perfection on that paint. I'm envious of people who will get to look at that beast.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #307
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
With XM you either get a modern version of their outfits (IE: Magneto) or they go comic book (IE: Phoenix). I do wish XM would keep it consistent but they seem to bounce back and forth, they also do this with portraits, either it's realistic looking or it's more simple comic book looking.

They need to pick a style and stick with it for the entire line.
Problem is that they have yet to master a female portrait. They have all looked comic bookish. Which, I'm fine with. However, if you collect all statues then it looks odd.

I think the Spider-Man Rogues all have a nice similar look of modern, but still comic in the face. Then you go to the Thor line where, male or female, they look all realistic.

Mag and Wolverine are "real" while Jean is the only stand-out for not being realistic. And that's mostly because of her face paints being so basic. I'm OK with the sleek costumes if the faces all match. STGCC should be the tell-all as to the direction of the X-Men line.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #308
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
I doubt Storm will be painted...if it even shows up in unpainted statue form at all at STGCC. She may be ready for the other relatively decent sized show XM frequents after STGCC.

For the record, I DO NOT WANT A STRAIGHT DARK SILVER STORM costume. There is a happy medium and i think it should fall in the pearlescent / silverish color tone similar to Moon Knight.

Demona you posted a couple pics showing her in a dark silver / gray color and I DO NOT WANT that. But believe me, I and a few others have made mention to Ang about making her costume silverish in tone. At the very least, he has heard your, my and others various opinions on the matter, so whatever color / tones they decide to do is purely on them at that point.

However, until someone else does a Storm (licensed), you will get no better one in the 1/4 collectible world IMO...crusty boots, funky hair, color choice and anything else one can mention.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #309
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Well what the hell have they been doing over at XM if not slaving away on best XMan ever?

The Joe Mad gatefold cover (middle image) is the best rendition of the costume versus her hair color. And THAT was what I was really going for. To show that no matter how dark or light, the suit is NEVER white. I'm with you -- use those Moon Knight paints. I'm really hoping he is at STGCC so we can get a ton of pics of him.

But if she doesn't look like Storm, what's the point of having her in 1:4? That's the thing. Putting a tornado under her doesn't make it Storm. There are all the little elements (no pun intended).
Old 08-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #310
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

As of right now, this piece has almost no comic accuracy to Jim Lee's design. I also don't really like the tornado either. It would have looked much better done in a similar manner to how they did Mysterio.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote