Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-19-2014, 02:11 AM   #61
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
can any one tell me if the battle of the five armies is the same battle that we see at the beginning of LOTR - FOTR?

N?
No, they're an age apart (3000-ish years).
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #62
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

aahh ok, thanks man.. was hoping to see Sauron.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #63
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Am I going to get to see Galadriel being badass?
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:51 AM   #64
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
can any one tell me if the battle of the five armies is the same battle that we see at the beginning of LOTR - FOTR?

N?
No, it's not. The battle at the beginning of LOTR is called the Battle of Dagorlad. It's the last alliance of Elves and Men, but of course in the cinematic Two Towers, Peter Jackson has Galadrial send an army of elves to the Battle of Helms Deep to fight the orcs with the men of Rohan, which never happened in the book.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:56 AM   #65
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

A new rumor indicates that the first ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ teaser will play in front of The Hobbit.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #66
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
No, it's not. The battle at the beginning of LOTR is called the Battle of Dagorlad. It's the last alliance of Elves and Men, but of course in the cinematic Two Towers, Peter Jackson has Galadrial send an army of elves to the Battle of Helms Deep to fight the orcs with the men of Rohan, which never happened in the book.
aahh i see. and yeah i should have known that it wasn't the same battle due to Bilbo having the ring.. :duh:

you know what would be really cool? is if they made a movie about that story, about Sauron and how he manipulates the kings and creates the ring. and then have the battle of elves and men. would really love to see Sauron in action through out that battle.
wonder if they would even be able to do that. is there a book for that story?
Old 11-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #67
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
A new rumor indicates that the first ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ teaser will play in front of The Hobbit.
that would be awesome
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #68
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
aahh i see. and yeah i should have known that it wasn't the same battle due to Bilbo having the ring.. :duh:

you know what would be really cool? is if they made a movie about that story, about Sauron and how he manipulates the kings and creates the ring. and then have the battle of elves and men. would really love to see Sauron in action through out that battle.
wonder if they would even be able to do that. is there a book for that story?
You're looking for the Silmarillion. Less narrative and more encyclopedic though.

Sauron is a chump. Small potatoes. Read about Melkor/Morgoth. He's the "big bad". Sauron is just a disciple.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #69
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
You're looking for the Silmarillion. Less narrative and more encyclopedic though.

Sauron is a chump. Small potatoes. Read about Melkor/Morgoth. He's the "big bad". Sauron is just a disciple.
aahhhh, so then there is a whole story behind Sauron..thats cool. would love to see a film about that.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:24 AM   #70
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
aahhhh, so then there is a whole story behind Sauron..thats cool. would love to see a film about that.
As Zen Logikos mentioned, Sauron's origin and his early years as Melkor/Morgoth's lieutenant are described in the Silmarillion. Sauron began as a Mair, which is a type of lesser Valar. The Valar were the first spirits sent to Middle Earth by Illuvatar, who is God in the Tolkien mythos, the creator of all things. His first creations mentioned in the Silmarillion were the Valar. They were sent to Middle Earth to be it's guardians and caretakers. One of them, (Melkor) goes bad, and in time he convinces many of the Maiar who were created after the Valar to join him, Sauron is one of them and becomes his chief lieutenant. The Balrog's and Dragon's were other Maiar as well. Another interesting fact is that the Istari, (Wizards) Gandalf, Saruman, and Radagast were also Maiar as well, but they didn't show up on Middle Earth until later, and they chose good instead of evil.

And, having a series of Silmarillion films is one of my fondest desires. I love that book, and a seven movie series would be needed to cover the material to any effective degree. The Silmarillion covers the beginning of creation, the first and second ages, the rise and fall of Numenor, and the beginning of the third age. Even seven films couldn't cover it all, but I think that number would be sufficient to cover the most important aspects. It would be massive and spectacular if done with the kind of care and attention to detail that Peter Jackson has given to the LOTR films, and the Hobbit films. I would love it so much, but unfortunately Christopher Tolkien is upset with all of the films that have been made, and apparently he's not going to allow Jackson to do any Silmarillion films. Hopefully he'll change his mind...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote