Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #6601
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
What's this new Collector Edition WW PF?

I'm not sure I understand the difference.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collecti...tibles-300115/
Remember, "collector's edition" is just Sideshow's new term for regular edition.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #6602
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Remember, "collector's edition" is just Sideshow's new term for regular edition.
"Collectors Edition" has to be the single most worthless label in the entire world of merchendising. Its now used with video games, movies, books, board games, watches, knives, flashlights, playing cards, prints, and the list just goes on and on and on. Pretty much every collectible market on the planet now uses the term. Its really become just a meaningless term meant to signify that a particular item is being aimed at colllectors. At this point they should just label everything as a "Limited Special Collector's Ultimate Edition!".
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #6603
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
There's very few things that are collectibles anymore. Statues used to be back when their Edition Sizes were very low but now there's so many companies that are mass producing them in large amounts it seems misleading to say it's a collectable.

I know it comes down to each persons personal definition of what a collectable is as I know some people think anything you collect is a collectable regardless of how many they make.

But for me a true collectable is something that is fairly rare. A few hundred at most... Something like the Wonder Woman PF that had like 9000 made is not a collectable in my book. But it is a nice looking piece of art.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:03 AM   #6604
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

You have a very low ES for the new Black Cat. You can still buy the EX (350 pieces) or CE (500 pieces).
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #6605
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
"Collectors Edition" has to be the single most worthless label in the entire world of merchendising. Its now used with video games, movies, books, board games, watches, knives, flashlights, playing cards, prints, and the list just goes on and on and on. Pretty much every collectible market on the planet now uses the term. Its really become just a meaningless term meant to signify that a particular item is being aimed at colllectors. At this point they should just label everything as a "Limited Special Collector's Ultimate Edition!".

I'm sticking with "Regular".
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #6606
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
There's very few things that are collectibles anymore. Statues used to be back when their Edition Sizes were very low but now there's so many companies that are mass producing them in large amounts it seems misleading to say it's a collectable.

I know it comes down to each persons personal definition of what a collectable is as I know some people think anything you collect is a collectable regardless of how many they make.

But for me a true collectable is something that is fairly rare. A few hundred at most... Something like the Wonder Woman PF that had like 9000 made is not a collectable in my book. But it is a nice looking piece of art.
So you're saying that Comic collectors had it wrong for 80 years.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #6607
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
So you're saying that Comic collectors had it wrong for 80 years.

Comic books for the most part have been worthless since the late 70's as everyone decided to collect them instead of just read and toss them like the generations before them, once people saw that ultra rare copies of the original superman were worth a ton of money everyone started holding on to their comics... But when you have tens of thousands of copies of the same thing then it becomes worthless.....

Besides the point of a comic book is entertainment, reading a story, it's a bit different then statues.

If you want to use the loosest term in regards to "Collectible" then yeah anything you buy is a "Collectible"

Quote:
Originally Posted by equi-nox76 View Post
You have a very low ES for the new Black Cat. You can still buy the EX (350 pieces) or CE (500 pieces).
Might be a collectible, but one that nobody really wants which diminishes it's value.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:29 AM   #6608
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Comic books for the most part have been worthless since the late 70's as everyone decided to collect them instead of just read and toss them like the generations before them, once people saw that ultra rare copies of the original superman were worth a ton of money everyone started holding on to their comics... But when you have tens of thousands of copies of the same thing then it becomes worthless.....

Besides the point of a comic book is entertainment, reading a story, it's a bit different then statues.

If you want to use the loosest term in regards to "Collectible" then yeah anything you buy is a "Collectible"

Might be a collectible, but one that nobody really wants which diminishes it's value.
Actually what made comics rare in the 40's was the war. Parents would take the comics to be pulped during war time. Thats why you see more issues surviving in the 50's and 60's. Comic collecting has been around a long time an c silverage issues, Starting in the mid 50's, have jumped in price, it's what I collect and it's made drastically harder to collect them. Statues are also for entertainment, its just of a different sort.

My entire point however, is that collecting one thing over another doesn't make the collecting better or worse, it's all collecting. Just because one person likes rare objects and another collects easily attainable items one is not less than the other. Its just preference and circumstance.

I've never understood why some of the statue collectors see these as "rare" objects. They're factory produced and when it started back in the 90's rarity was never the chief concern. That really only happened with Sideshow in the mid-2000's.

Either way you like pop culture enough to buy them or you don't high ES or not. If all your concerned with is the number made there are tons of other collectibles that suit that far better.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #6609
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Actually what made comics rare in the 40's was the war. Parents would take the comics to be pulped during war time. Thats why you see more issues surviving in the 50's and 60's. Comic collecting has been around a long time an c silverage issues, Starting in the mid 50's, have jumped in price, it's what I collect and it's made drastically harder to collect them. Statues are also for entertainment, its just of a different sort.

My entire point however, is that collecting one thing over another doesn't make the collecting better or worse, it's all collecting. Just because one person likes rare objects and another collects easily attainable items one is not less than the other. Its just preference and circumstance.

I've never understood why some of the statue collectors see these as "rare" objects. They're factory produced and when it started back in the 90's rarity was never the chief concern. That really only happened with Sideshow in the mid-2000's.

Either way you like pop culture enough to buy them or you don't high ES or not. If all your concerned with is the number made there are tons of other collectibles that suit that far better.
Well said. Regardless of edition size, the factories are pumping out these pieces at alarming rates and if you miss a piece you'll likely get a new one for the same character shortly after.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #6610
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Comics are printed just as these statues are produced, to meet the desired demand at the time of production. Neither are produced with "scarcity" in mind.

Supply and demand, if your in line day 1, your getting one.
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote