Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-17-2017, 11:39 PM   #6521
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky View Post
Sideshow prints will continue to sell out because most buyers are uneducated in terms of knowing the value of prints. There are much bigger-named artists, of all types, who sell their prints for much less. Don't get me started on the frames.

I'm still amazed how much they're getting for these prints, even with signatures. I'm more amazed by how many are so eager to overspend to this degree, but it's their money. SS is making a massive killing, profit-wise, on these things, but they're not forcing anyone to buy them.
Of course they will continue to sell out as the edition sizes are 1/4 to 1/2 what they used to be and its clearly been demonstrated over the last 12+ months that there are enough collectors out there that dont care about the signature issue to support edition sizes in the 200-350 range for most prints.

Again, the real question at this point is can the print line recover and get back to the popularity it had before signature gate first hit and again I believe it can if Sideshow switches over to signed prints for most of thier releases. If they don't and they continue issueing a lot of automated signature prints then edition sizes will likely stay in the 200-350 range for most prints.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:34 AM   #6522
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I would be surprised if all prints were hand signed in the future. The recent prints were signatures seemed to have been signed at San Diego Comic Con since the artists like Olivia and Adam Hughes also attended. Not sure if Sideshow will ship prints to artists to get signed. If the artists live in Southern California it wouldn't be hard them to send an employee to hand deliver and pick the. up.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #6523
BMW///M3
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
I would be surprised if all prints were hand signed in the future. The recent prints were signatures seemed to have been signed at San Diego Comic Con since the artists like Olivia and Adam Hughes also attended. Not sure if Sideshow will ship prints to artists to get signed. If the artists live in Southern California it wouldn't be hard them to send an employee to hand deliver and pick the. up.
well the artist are profiting from the sales of these prints. So in my opinion they go to SS to sign the prints
BMW///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:03 AM   #6524
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Quote:
It's not so far fetch, look how many comic book pencilers work with inkers across the country on monthly comics. I know DC have the artist send the actual penciled pages to the inker overnight FedEx.

And that's hundreds of pages of original one off art on a very tight schedule being physically shipped monthly. Shipping prints would be a breeze in comparison. Look at what happen to the cover of Metal #2 last month, a poor JR JR original lost forever. I'm sure Richard would have love to have JR JR hit "Print" when it was lost, no such luck.
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #6525
BurningRage
Inhumans

SS could get some artists at NYCC to sign prints too.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #6526
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestNight View Post
It's not so far fetch, look how many comic book pencilers work with inkers across the country on monthly comics. I know DC have the artist send the actual penciled pages to the inker overnight FedEx.

And that's hundreds of pages of original one off art on a very tight schedule being physically shipped monthly. Shipping prints would be a breeze in comparison. Look at what happen to the cover of Metal #2 last month, a poor JR JR original lost forever. I'm sure Richard would have love to have JR JR hit "Print" when it was lost, no such luck.
It's not so much the logistics of shipping, just the cost. What would it cost to ship 300 18x24 inch prints in a heavy duty crate/box? If it is to an artist in New York, is probably $150+ each way via UPS ground. Not impossible, but just added cost. Prints have a huge profit margin, so it's not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
SS could get some artists at NYCC to sign prints too.
Does Sideshow regularly exhibit at the NYCC? If so, it would be a good opportunity if they are already going to be there.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:56 PM   #6527
BurningRage
Inhumans

They were at NYCC last year and going this year. Their booth is a lot smaller though.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #6528
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestNight View Post

Absolutely. As I have stated many times, shipping prints out to get signed is an extremely easy thing to do. Again, all Sideshow needs to do is buy some quality hard sided shipping cases and the proper supplies to secure the prints (some quality portfolio boxes, chip board, and shrink wrap). Thats it. That all they need to start shipping out prints and as long as they did it properly, the prints would arrive back at Sideshow in mint condition.

Thats what makes this entire topic so frustrating for me as I really love a lot of the prints Sideshow has been producing and really want to buy them and I know first hand just how easy it would be to solve this problem and get all of the prints hand signed, but they just refuse to do so. And I would have no problem spending the additional money to cover all shipping costs, which would only be a few dollars a print.

Only time will tell what Sideshow winds up doing. I still hope they will come to their senses on this topic as from the very beginning this line of prints really had the potential to be something special in the limited edition comic print market as there is really no other print line like it. And the artwork has only gotten better and better IMO. The automated signatures really just ruin the overall potential of this print line, both in regards to reputation and potential value.

Quote:
It's not so much the logistics of shipping, just the cost. What would it cost to ship 300 18x24 inch prints in a heavy duty crate/box? If it is to an artist in New York, is probably $150+ each way via UPS ground. Not impossible, but just added cost. Prints have a huge profit margin, so it's not impossible.

Does Sideshow regularly exhibit at the NYCC? If so, it would be a good opportunity if they are already going to be there.
Actually, the cost would only wind up coming out to be a few dollars a print and I am fairly certain most people would be more than happy to spend like $3 more per print to have real signatures. In all honestly, given the MASSIVE profit margin Sideshow is seeing with these prints, they could EASILY cover all shipping costs and they would still be making an absolute killing on these prints so if it is the cost that is making Sideshow hold back on getting these prints signed, it just makes this whole topic a 1000 times worse IMO. As if a couple percentage points makes a difference when your seeing profit margins in the 80%+ range. This entire print line is like a printing press for money for Sideshow so to opt for automated signatures so they can make just a few more dollars per print, as opposed to raising the quality of the print line by having real signatures....well, again if that truly is the case then it just makes sideshow's choice not to go with real signatures just so much worse.

And when you factor in the fact that they would likely sell significantly more prints if the prints did have real signatures, even if Sideshow decided to cover all shipping costs they would still come out making significantly more money then they are right now. Considering they have basically had to cut edition sizes in half because of this signature issue, thats like sacrificing $15,000-$20,000 per print in potential profits just so they dont have to spend a few hundred dollars on shipping prints. Just doesnt make any sense.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #6529
Sathis
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I know the SS prints are overpriced, but I had enough rewards to snag a free Red Sonja Print, and I will just pay shipping.

I love the print honestly, and I know I will just get it locally framed, and love it MORE. I have to be super strict on which specific prints I get now due the prices going sky high on everything in this hobby. I would love to have everything, but only the exceptional pieces in my eyes Print/Statue can make the cut anymore.

I love this hobby, but it is getting pretty crazy lately!
Sathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #6530
ALF_1
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Absolutely. As I have stated many times, shipping prints out to get signed is an extremely easy thing to do. Again, all Sideshow needs to do is buy some quality hard sided shipping cases and the proper supplies to secure the prints (some quality portfolio boxes, chip board, and shrink wrap). Thats it. That all they need to start shipping out prints and as long as they did it properly, the prints would arrive back at Sideshow in mint condition.

Thats what makes this entire topic so frustrating for me as I really love a lot of the prints Sideshow has been producing and really want to buy them and I know first hand just how easy it would be to solve this problem and get all of the prints hand signed, but they just refuse to do so. And I would have no problem spending the additional money to cover all shipping costs, which would only be a few dollars a print.

Only time will tell what Sideshow winds up doing. I still hope they will come to their senses on this topic as from the very beginning this line of prints really had the potential to be something special in the limited edition comic print market as there is really no other print line like it. And the artwork has only gotten better and better IMO. The automated signatures really just ruin the overall potential of this print line, both in regards to reputation and potential value.

Actually, the cost would only wind up coming out to be a few dollars a print and I am fairly certain most people would be more than happy to spend like $3 more per print to have real signatures. In all honestly, given the MASSIVE profit margin Sideshow is seeing with these prints, they could EASILY cover all shipping costs and they would still be making an absolute killing on these prints so if it is the cost that is making Sideshow hold back on getting these prints signed, it just makes this whole topic a 1000 times worse IMO. As if a couple percentage points makes a difference when your seeing profit margins in the 80%+ range. This entire print line is like a printing press for money for Sideshow so to opt for automated signatures so they can make just a few more dollars per print, as opposed to raising the quality of the print line by having real signatures....well, again if that truly is the case then it just makes sideshow's choice not to go with real signatures just so much worse.

And when you factor in the fact that they would likely sell significantly more prints if the prints did have real signatures, even if Sideshow decided to cover all shipping costs they would still come out making significantly more money then they are right now. Considering they have basically had to cut edition sizes in half because of this signature issue, thats like sacrificing $15,000-$20,000 per print in potential profits just so they dont have to spend a few hundred dollars on shipping prints. Just doesnt make any sense.

Not every customer cares about having an original Autograph on a massed produced Print? Does it really matter to have an authentic signature on "PRINTED" Art work that is not original?

The times I care to have an Authentic signature is if I am buying the Original art, one of a kind and not some reprint of the art.

Authentic autographs are fine to get on prints and photos of famous people that you might be a fan of, but it's really not necessary for Sideshow to have to have every print released with an authentic signature.

If you want it authentically signed then bring it to a convention where the artist is and tell Sideshow not to auto sign yours.

For me, if I am buying a print with a real autograph or Automated it doesn't really matter because no REPRINT IS REALLY RARE if you think about it and just because a print has a real autograph does not justify to me that it should have a higher value... The main value of the print is when it's a great print from a reputable artist creating amazing art and that there were not many printed for production keeping the demand high resulting in more value added to it.

Authentic Autographs are better on true Rare items and 250 Prints are not RARE! Think about it, every second some new collectible is being created with some low ES.... THESE DAYS companies make everything collectible and reproducing art work is not RARE compared to originals. So why is it such a big deal to get an authentic autograph on art that is not really authentic? Buy the Original Art and then yes an authentic autograph is a must, but these prints from Sideshow is to appreciate the art work and having an automated Sig takes nothing away from the value of Sideshows prints...

I get Original art work signed and for these reproduced prints if they want to Sign some prints authentically and some automated it is totally fine with me.

My Batman and Bane was authentically signed, but my Poisen Ivy was not and to me they still both hold good value!
ALF_1 is offline   Reply With Quote