Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 10-05-2019, 04:41 AM   #1691
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
Nerd News Today has a video of the DC Collectibles Panel and the moderator states the Joelle Jones line ends with the Catwoman wedding dress.
We've been aware of this since at least SDCC 2019, though I much prefer the Joelle Jones statues over the Chos. I think the Supergirl is flat out ugly.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:48 PM   #1692
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
We've been aware of this since at least SDCC 2019, though I much prefer the Joelle Jones statues over the Chos. I think the Supergirl is flat out ugly.
Now, see, I’m just the polar opposite. I like the Cho line (based on the protos) infinitely better than Jones’. I’ve graciously read and accepted your and a few other’s posts about how fabulous she is and how pissed you are that the line ended too soon. Tragic. But for all intents and purposes her time on the series is at an end. Get over it, please? Hughes lasted for 13 and Lau for nineteen. Jones barely made nine. I don’t know the behind the scenes particulars, but the cancellation of the line was likely due to comparatively poor sales (as in most cases, the profit is the bottom line and holds sway) and a lack of support. I liked a select few of her offerings (Supergirl, Wonder Woman and Black Canary) and disliked most others (Batgirl, Mera, Harley, Huntress, Catwoman I… Catwoman II is nice but doesn’t fit the superheroine theme in my collection). I also view the return to 1/8th scale as an advantage over the departure to the 1/7th scale of Jones. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the constant sniping, carping, hand-wringing or championing of lost causes gets a tad old. If Cho’s line tanks, then I’ll likely be disappointed, but I won’t drone on about it.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #1693
chrismhk
Luke Cage

It’s too soon to say, but for now, I prefer Cho line better too, which is weird because I like Joelle’s art much much better than Frank Cho. Somehow her art don’t translate well to statue whileas Cho’s statues actually look better than his art.
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #1694
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Double
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #1695
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
I also view the return to 1/8th scale as an advantage over the departure to the 1/7th scale of Jones.
Although DC has been using the 1/8 number in their advertisements, Cho's statues are likely 1/7 as well. DC still refers to the Bombshells as 1/8 even though they've been 1/7 from the start.

Quote:
I don’t know the behind the scenes particulars, but the cancellation of the line was likely due to comparatively poor sales (as in most cases, the profit is the bottom line and holds sway) and a lack of support.
This comment needs to be addressed. You begin by stating that you don't know what caused the switch from Jones to Cho, and then you bloviate about sales and "support". Lots of things have been happening at DC during the past two years. First, DC Collectibles is no longer part of DC Comics but is now under Warner Consumer Products due to AT&T buying Warner. This means that Jim Fletcher has less independence to greenlight products -- hence why some of his whimsical endeavors, such as the Engines of Chaos statues and Lucha Libre action figures, were canceled. Second, DC editorial has already replaced many characters' Rebirth costumes, so in terms of cross-platform synergies, it makes no sense to ask Joelle Jones to keep designing "Rebirth" statues when Batman, Batgirl, Superman, Supergirl, etc. have switched to costumes that are callbacks to the pre-New 52 era. Finally, if you want to discuss sales/"support", there are plenty of Artgerm statues still available for less than MSRP on the primary market (sold as new/sealed by retailers, not end-use consumers getting rid of unwanted possessions). Clearly the Artgerm wave shouldn't have lasted as long as it did by your rationale.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #1696
Hunter Frost
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Smile

Quote:
Although DC has been using the 1/8 number in their advertisements, Cho's statues are likely 1/7 as well. DC still refers to the Bombshells as 1/8 even though they've been 1/7 from the start.

This comment needs to be addressed. You begin by stating that you don't know what caused the switch from Jones to Cho, and then you bloviate about sales and "support". Lots of things have been happening at DC during the past two years. First, DC Collectibles is no longer part of DC Comics but is now under Warner Consumer Products due to AT&T buying Warner. This means that Jim Fletcher has less independence to greenlight products (hence why some of his whimsical endeavors, such as the Engines of Chaos statues and Lucha Libre action figures) were canceled. Second, DC editorial has already replaced many characters' Rebirth costumes, so in terms of cross-platform synergies, it makes no sense to ask Joelle Jones to keep designing "Rebirth" statues when Batman, Batgirl, Superman, Supergirl, etc. have switched to costumes that are callbacks to the pre-New 52 era. Finally, if you want to discuss sales/"support", there are plenty of Artgerm statues still available for less than MSRP on the primary market (sold as new/sealed by retailers, not end-use consumers getting rid of unwanted possessions). Clearly the Artgerm wave shouldn't have lasted as long as it did by your rationale.
Hunter Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #1697
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Round and round…. But thanks for being obtuse and totally predictable and making my point for me. The primary point was to appeal to you and your fellow cheerleading sycophants to stop wallowing in pity and making snarky comments (and dim bulb GIFs) with regard to Jones’ CANCELLED body of work versus others’, for whatever reasons or speculative rationales (your theories are no more factual or definitive than my admitted generalizations in explaining why the line went away). And here you are back again (after stewing in your indignation) with a tacked-on follow-up response offering excuses and self-righteous justifications. Like a junkyard dog with a bone, you just won’t let go and have to have the last word. Fine, continue to caterwaul about it here and denounce other artists, but I’ll bet that doesn’t get the line reinstated. Meanwhile, I’ll still have my 19 Artgerms, 4 Jones and single Hughes.

Quote:
Yeah, I just hope people jump on these deals as they happen so that DC gets the message -- we want more Joelle Jones Cover Girls!!!
So while I was bloviating about "sales", I guess the volume of items moved out the door does matter somewhat, huh?
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:46 AM   #1698
Hunter Frost
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Talking And I... Oop!

Quote:
your fellow cheerleading sycophants ... making snarky comments (and dim bulb GIFs)

Guilty!

Last edited by Hunter Frost; 10-07-2019 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Because I felt like it. And what about it?!
Hunter Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:20 AM   #1699
Lavario007
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Frost View Post

Guilty!
I'm here for all these memes 🙌🏾
Lavario007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:32 AM   #1700
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

I haven’t collected Cover Girls since Hughes. I did not care for Artgerm or Jones’ runs. Boring and generic for my taste. I’m a big fan of Cho since Liberty Meadows so I’ll keep my eyes open on this line.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote