Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #131
FeistyMidget
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

But you would call a Hot Toys a toy right? If so, would a Hot Toys Hulkbuster be consider a toy? Would the Sideshow Man of Steel or a 1/10 Artfx statue be considered art? I personally don't take the use of the word Toy to describe these things as an insult. Some people will refer to a sports car as a their "toy" - and they actually "play" with it. They're not saying that to diminish the impact of someone insulting them.
FeistyMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #132
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyMidget View Post
But you would call a Hot Toys a toy right? If so, would a Hot Toys Hulkbuster be consider a toy? Would the Sideshow Man of Steel or a 1/10 Artfx statue be considered art? I personally don't take the use of the word Toy to describe these things as an insult. Some people will refer to a sports car as a their "toy" - and they actually "play" with it. They're not saying that to diminish the impact of someone insulting them.
People call sports cars "toys" in a joking manner. They obviously understand they're not playthings for children.

Hot Toys, despite the name of the company, are not "toys." They are collectibles targeted at adults. People don't buy them to play with them. The static items that you mentioned could be considered art, yes.

I honestly can't tell if you're being purposefully obtuse or if you genuinely don't know what a toy is...
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:11 AM   #133
FeistyMidget
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

So you think I'm using the word Toys to describe my collection because I think they are play things for children? I'm not being obtuse just because I don't classify things the same way you do. A static item can be considered a toy as well - plastic dinosaurs, soldiers - they are more toys than art for me. A $30-$40 Marvel Gallery statue - more toy than art for me. And a lot of people do "play" with their Hot Toys. They pose them up, change up their outfits, etc. An adult can play with things, just like a child plays with things. Is a Hot Toys in the hand of a child who plays with it a toy, but when in the hands of an adult a piece of art? For me, a Hot Toys is just as much a piece of art as it is a toy.

Look, I'm not trying to turn this into some sort of argument. Thought it could be a fun discussion, but looks like this topic can be taken a bit too seriously, so I'll just stop here.
FeistyMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #134
chronos1919
Nightwing

Obviously plastic soldiers and dinosaurs are toys. Quite a stretch to compare them to $600+ statues. No one was drawing that comparison. Dressing up and posing something does not make it a “toy.” That’s just manipulation of an object. A toy is quite literally a plaything for children. Now, you can call something whatever you like but that doesn’t make it so.

I can’t understand how misclassifying an item would make for a good topic of debate.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #135
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

This thread is something else. If you classify these statues as toys your either trying to ruffle feathers or just unappreciative of the effort, time and skill put into them. An insult to this hobby.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:34 PM   #136
Incrysis
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I guess BBTS $4 shipping is looking good unless you want the exclusive.
Incrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:39 PM   #137
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4XCollect View Post
This thread is madness...
It really is, god. But I expected nothing less considering the original subject.

A lot of people just crave getting emotional about things. Every single thing that happens has to be either the greatest thing in the world, or the worst thing in the world. It's exhausting.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #138
B_dub345
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Maybe this was already answered but is it true that items ordered before this year but on a payment plan or will be shipped this year, will NOT be taxed?
B_dub345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #139
chronos1919
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_dub345 View Post
Maybe this was already answered but is it true that items ordered before this year but on a payment plan or will be shipped this year, will NOT be taxed?
It's been mentioned here, though you could always contact SS to verify.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #140
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
It really is, god. But I expected nothing less considering the original subject.

A lot of people just crave getting emotional about things. Every single thing that happens has to be either the greatest thing in the world, or the worst thing in the world. It's exhausting.
Then you must be very tired. Because that’s how this world works, in case you didn't notice. Every life on this planet has its own share of big or small things.
A simple smile or a $10 bill slipped into a pocket can be the greatest things in the world. And the peremptory assertion that a Superman statue is not art can be the worst thing in the world...
It’s just a matter of perspective and priorities.
Rest well.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote