Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 02-28-2014, 12:01 AM   #11
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs1162 View Post
+++Chris Ivy. Chris is great to work with and affordable. Emberlin will look great over these pencils. I didn't know he took commissions. How are his rates?
The Grummett Superman is a $200 commission. He also inked a Darryl Banks He-Man for me a few years ago for $65:

He's always been a favorite of mine, and I'd been wanting to commission him again. When it came to this, he was the first guy I thought of. That said, there might be a bit of a wait, as he has a graphic novel and a few other commissions on his plate. But I think it'll be well worth the wait to see what he does with Grummett's pencils.
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:30 AM   #12
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Randy is an outstanding inker(your He-Man is proof of that). No surprise that the Superman would run that much with the detailed background,plus like you said,he is still getting regular work. I would put both Ivy and Almond in the $150 range for that piece.

Another inker who would kill this would be Ordway if you could get him.Just thinkin!
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 AM   #13
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Ordway inking this would be kind of a fun reunion of the two; he wrote some of Grummett's Adventures of Superman run back in the '90s. Then again, so would Breeding or even Karl Kesel (if the latter would be possible).

There's also a couple artists who frequent a lot of my local comic cons, Michael Peters (http://mlpeters.deviantart.com/) and Terry Huddleston (http://thuddleston.deviantart.com/), who I might try to bring into this.

I noticed JP Mayer sometimes does commissions, so I might look into asking him to join in.

The one thing I've noticed about all the names that have come up as possibilities for this is that they all have very distinct styles. Emberlin is slick and fluid. Gary Martin is all about textures and fine detail. Rob Hunter is hatchy and gritty. John Beatty is old-style traditional. Bob Almond is all about simplicity and letting the pencils do the talking. James Taylor is smooth and super-clean. Ordway deals in roundness and soft details. And so on.

No matter who I end up going with altogether, I'm not going to get the same ink job twice. It's going to be different every time, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it all goes.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
Mfinn123
Hydra

Joe Rubinstein, Bob Almond and Chris Ivy are all great choices
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #15
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Another inker to consider: Al Gordon just expressed interest in inking this on the Yahoo CAF group. So that'll be something else to look into in the future.

This little experiment promises to be fun.