Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-06-2017, 11:38 PM   #1481
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Just the fact that we will have other options now.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #1482
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
Just the fact that we will have other options now.
You mean possibilities? I don't see any new options yet, not even a WIP.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #1483
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

There are 3 different companies right now. One is a possibility, but almost a certainty, considering that they just announced the Alien license. One other one made an announcement a few months ago, but they may be more artistic interpretation than screen accurate. The third just previewed a Dog Alien at a Con, and has confirmed at least twice that they will be doing Predator maquette-type statues. And their dog alien is superb, so I'm stoked.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #1484
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
You ain't wrong fella . . .
  • Here's hoping Prime 1 confirm their Pred licence soon
  • XM stuff is non-movie-based but is well underway.
  • CoolProps have already proved themselves, and are continuing in the right direction.

Thank Lemmy . . . and Sideshow can then (hopefully) go the way of the dinosaur as far as I'm concerned

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #1485
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
There are 3 different companies right now. One is a possibility, but almost a certainty, considering that they just announced the Alien license. One other one made an announcement a few months ago, but they may be more artistic interpretation than screen accurate. The third just previewed a Dog Alien at a Con, and has confirmed at least twice that they will be doing Predator maquette-type statues. And their dog alien is superb, so I'm stoked.
I will believe it when I see it. Rumors and possibilities are not options.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #1486
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post
  • CoolProps have already proved themselves, and are continuing in the right direction.

Thank Lemmy . . . and Sideshow can then (hopefully) go the way of the dinosaur as far as I'm concerned

That Cool Props Alien I saw at the Wondercon was amazing! XM's concept for their first Predator character is frikking amazing!! Prime 1 one can assume will be of a high quality as well. Maybe now I can justify myself paying over a grand (or maybe less) for anything involving a 1/4 or 1/3 Predator / Alien statue.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #1487
HeavyMetalSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
That Cool Props Alien I saw at the Wondercon was amazing! XM's concept for their first Predator character is frikking amazing!! Prime 1 one can assume will be of a high quality as well. Maybe now I can justify myself paying over a grand (or maybe less) for anything involving a 1/4 or 1/3 Predator / Alien statue.
The sculpt will be more so

Old 03-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #1488
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post

I'm so excited to see what Prime1 and Coolprops can do with this license. I really am!! But at the same time, while Sideshow unfortunately haven't done much to shout about with it since the original SWS maquette (the overly expensive Wolf LSB being an exception) I certainly wouldn't wish them any ills. I'd much rather see them step up their game to try and compete with all of this long over due competition, we know they are more than capable of making awesome statues as we've seen them do so with other licenses. All Alien and Predator is fine by me, wherever it comes from.

The Coolprops Dog alien is shaping up to be something special, I hope they ditch the useless second head and keep the price grounded. And Prime 1 will be spectacular whatever appears although I'd love to see them make the ultimate 1/4 P1 & P2. I look forward to seeing if Sideshow can indeed match these new players, they certainly have the talent in house and the contacts in the business to do things properly if they wish to do so. Ultimately, the more competition there is, the better the results and pricing should be anyway, better for all of us, good times
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #1489
HeavyMetalSpike

I don't want to be even TEMPTED to deal with Sideshow - it's that simple.

What will help:
  • New blood entering the Pred & Alien production world (as noted above).
  • Sideshow continuing their half-hearted art direction and sculpting.
  • Sideshow continuing a generally poor approach to quality control & a sometimes dismissive cookie-cutter Customer Service.
  • Sideshow's price increases.
  • The recent shipping rate hikes.
  • The new Canadian import duty (added another 6%).
  • The crappy CAD:USD exchange rate.

Some of the above are COMMON concerns with Sideshow, and the others mean most of us have to be more selective than we have been in the past.

I do hope that the upcoming Pred & Alien stuff from XM / Prime1 / CoolProps will draw me in though

Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #1490
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Sideshow doesn't have to worry about outside competition. They are their own worst enemy. No matter what, they always find a way to sabotage themselves. "Have an almost perfect Jungle Hunter? Move the thigh armor from the correct position to the front of the thigh and then blame it on cut-and-sew." Even when they have fans offering free advice to help steer their Predator projects in the right direction, they still screw it up. When companies are putting more care and attention into their $200 figures than you put into your $1,200 statues, it is time to start questioning your existence in that license.