Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-16-2023, 09:27 AM   #1
Mister H
Green Goblin

The 2023 Halloween Horror Comics Thread

Protector 2814 is taking a well deserved break this year so I will pick it up. This won't be anything close to his quality but here it goes:

I'm starting with a couple of Omnis that I have recently bought, Lobster Johnson. Easily my favorite Dark Horse character. He packs heat (literally) with his hand guns and his burning hand that brands a lobster claw into the flesh of evil-doers. His story has a crime-noir feel and he is actually a comic character in the Hellboy universe that Hellboy himself likes to read about. I particularly like his corny, "taste justice!" cry when in battle.

Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 09:56 AM   #2
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Very nice! Thanks for stepping in and picking this up!
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 03:42 PM   #3
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Here is one from me. Royal Zombie Ottoman Dudes cover of Baltimore by Mignola.

The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:19 PM   #4
Mister H
Green Goblin

Keeping with the Dark Horse Omnibus theme, I'm present The Nocturnals. I'll admit the main reason I like these Omnis is for the art, although I do like the stories as well. Dan Bremerton is one of those artists that likes to paint his work. Gotta give respect to anyone who works that hard at this. The Gunwitch, an undead bodyguard/hitman is my favorite character from these books. There are few team-ups I would like to see someday more than Punisher/Judge Dredd and a Gunwitch/Lobster Johnson team up is one of them.

Old 10-18-2023, 11:49 AM   #5
Mister H
Green Goblin

Next is Marvel Horror omnibus volume 1. I love the old Marvel horror stuff and this is a great collection of some of those. My favorite story from this is easily the Simon Garth Zombie tale. Makes me want to get the Bowen Designs Zombie statue. The Living Mummy is great as well.

Old 10-18-2023, 12:05 PM   #6
protector2814
Phoenix

While you're discussing Monsters as Heroes, a great topic by the way, I have to 2nd your thoughts on just how damn cool the Marvel Monsters were back in the day. Horror comics happened to be my gateway into the whole genre & when, as a kid, I stumbled from the DC horror anthologies into the Marvel Horror heroes, I just flipped! My absolute favorite has to be Werewolf By Night!

But really, the other Marvel Monsters were just as good. Especially loved it when you'd catch one in a Team-Up or Two-In-One -

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 09:15 AM   #7
Mister H
Green Goblin

Another Marvel omnibus and then I'll move on. This is the Tomb of Dracula omni volume 1. I've heard a lot of fellas say that this is one of the best runs from Marvel. I've had the omni for a few years now but still haven't read it. I do remember a few issues from when I was a kid but I was just looking at the pictures then. (sort of like I do with statue announcements here) Anyway, I still love the art and hopefully they re-release the other Omnis soon.

Old 10-20-2023, 01:40 AM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Another Marvel omnibus and then I'll move on. This is the Tomb of Dracula omni volume 1. I've heard a lot of fellas say that this is one of the best runs from Marvel. I've had the omni for a few years now but still haven't read it. I do remember a few issues from when I was a kid but I was just looking at the pictures then. (sort of like I do with statue announcements here) Anyway, I still love the art and hopefully they re-release the other Omnis soon.

Brother, to many including me, this is the single greatest comic book series of the 1970s! Tom Field, in fact, makes this argument in the intro to this omnibus. It starts slow, changing writers three times over six issues. But when Marv Wolfman takes over the writing with issue 7 and, later, Tom Palmer joins Gene Colan as the permanent inker, it takes off and never looks back.

I?m dead serious, if the Lee/Kirby/Sinnott Fantastic Four is the best, most important and most ground breaking series of the 1960s, the Wolfman/Colan/Palmer Tomb of Dracula earns the same titles for the 1970s.

Also, keep in mind, this was the series Gene Colan literally BEGGED Stan Lee to let him draw. And he pours his heart and soul into this art. He was so great on so many Marvel titles (Iron Man, Sub-Mariner, Daredevil, Captain America, Avengers, Dr. Strange, Howard The Duck), but Tomb of Dracula is Gene The Dean’s absolute masterpiece!

Though I own all three omnibus volumes I also hope for people like you that Marvel re-releases the other TOD omnibus volumes soon!

Last edited by wktf; 11-07-2023 at 11:38 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 09:12 AM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

Couldn't agree more. (With Master of Kung-Fu coming in a close 2nd).
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 10:02 AM   #10
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Ah....love that series.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote