Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Infinity: Marvel's Most Confusing Mini-Series Ever?

So, I've just read the 5th issue of Marvel's new space opera, Infinity .... & I gotta say ... I'm just not sure what the hell is even happening. For once, I promised myself not to buy into the hype & purchase all the tie-ins, I've been financially burned by that ploy too many times, & was I wrong? Were the tie-ins to Infinity the key to following this tale? I swear to god, I've seen supposedly established characters in this book that I've never even heard of before. Thor on some planet talkin' to some guy with a huge hole thru his stomach, which, I guess, Thor did with his hammer, dead Inhumans, Thor & Cap drinking alien brews celebrating a victory that I couldn't even follow.
Gorgeous art by Opena & Weaver, so that end's cool ... but I've been reading comics a long, long time & this tale is just confusing the the crap outta me. Anyone else boggled? Or am I just old & easily confused? Did Hickman drop the ball?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Personally, I've enjoyed this series. Reading only the crossovers in Avengers and New Avengers, in addition to the Infinity books, I've found it to be pretty cool, and not your usual superhero tale.

I've enjoyed the scope of the fighting, I like all that army/ship to ship combat that Hickman has been able to write very well...seems like I'm reading/watching an old WW2 movie, watching war room conversations and tactics except with a space setting.

The only complaint I would have is how quickly the tide turned to the side of the heroes. I mean if it were THAT easy, seems like it shouldve happen before issue 5!
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
Personally, I've enjoyed this series. Reading only the crossovers in Avengers and New Avengers, in addition to the Infinity books, I've found it to be pretty cool, and not your usual superhero tale.

I've enjoyed the scope of the fighting, I like all that army/ship to ship combat that Hickman has been able to write very well...seems like I'm reading/watching an old WW2 movie, watching war room conversations and tactics except with a space setting.

The only complaint I would have is how quickly the tide turned to the side of the heroes. I mean if it were THAT easy, seems like it shouldve happen before issue 5!
I agree with everything you said.

And to the OP, the Avengers and New Avengers books are must reads to understand what's going on--I think that was made clear in the flow chart in the back of each book. All the other tie-ins (like Captain Marvel and Avengers Assemble) are not necessary.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

And this is why I don't read events anymore from Marvel. I'm fine with tie-ins as long as they aren't mandatory reading
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

Every core Marvel Event Book has a flow chart on the inside back cover, at least for the past few years. I found out the hard way that it wasn't necessary to read all the connecting stories (Age of Ultron is a good example), so I chose not to spend my hard earned dough on these Infinity tie-ins. Looks like that's where I made my mistake.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Every core Marvel Event Book has a flow chart on the inside back cover, at least for the past few years. I found out the hard way that it wasn't necessary to read all the connecting stories (Age of Ultron is a good example), so I chose not to spend my hard earned dough on these Infinity tie-ins. Looks like that's where I made my mistake.
No, every core Marvel Event Book has not had a flow chart in the inside back cover, only a checklist. I just looked at A vs X, Fear Itself and Siege--no flow chart.

Infinity has a clear flow chart showing which order to read the core books (Infinity, Avengers and New Avengers) and then a separate tie-ins section listing all the non-essential titles released over the next month.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #7
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
That's why I like TPBs. They kinda put it all in one place for you so you read it as one story, no?
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

Check-list, that's what I thought you meant by flow chart. I'm sorry for screwing that one up. (Imagining you shaking your finger at me like a mad old lady w/ response )
Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Yes, it's a train wreck of a series. I made this comment from the beginning in a different thread. I just cannot follow what's going on. I get the premise of The Avengers' being pulled off Earth to lead the universe in a battle against a major invasion and, while gone, Thanos has come to Earth to wreak havoc and kill his remaining son, and now The Avengers have to rush back to Earth to save it. But, the execution, story, writing and characters have all confused the hell out of me.

But I bailed on Hickman's FF early on for the same reason. Like Matt Fraction, I think he's seriously overrated.
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I agree with everything you said.

And to the OP, the Avengers and New Avengers books are must reads to understand what's going on--I think that was made clear in the flow chart in the back of each book. All the other tie-ins (like Captain Marvel and Avengers Assemble) are not necessary.
If this is true, then this was my mistake. I am reading New Avengers but not Avengers. Like Jerry, I'm tired of getting burned by useless money-sucking tie-ins, but I guess I should have kept reading Avengers
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote