Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 08-12-2022, 06:36 AM   #91
KiDD
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
There is one thing that's bothered me from the start - NO ONE who uses a sword, and understands swords, would EVER rest a sword like this - on its tip. This is something you see in a lot of fantasy artwork, because the Artist is completely ignorant of proper sword handling. This is the equivalent of leaning a rifle on the dirt, muzzle down....or worse, stuffing dirt in the muzzle.
Very true, but if you look closely you can see (at least in the attached pic) that the sword isn't quite touching the ground In the first few promo pics it's jammed into the ground, so it might not be keyed in though.
KiDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 03:26 PM   #92
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
There is one thing that's bothered me from the start - NO ONE who uses a sword, and understands swords, would EVER rest a sword like this - on its tip. This is something you see in a lot of fantasy artwork, because the Artist is completely ignorant of proper sword handling. This is the equivalent of leaning a rifle on the dirt, muzzle down....or worse, stuffing dirt in the muzzle.
I appreciate obsessive, detail-oriented observations.

Possible explanation though...

It's Valerian steel. Magic. Maybe it doesn't get blunted/dulled?
ZenLogikos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:40 PM   #93
marker2037
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I think we can all imagine that there are moments in time where someone wouldn't mind putting the tip into the floor, perhaps knowing they were planning on sharpening it anyway afterwards. The Valerian steel argument also works...

As for the figure, I do feel this still looks pretty good and everyone who sees it would immediately recognize John Snow.
However, the features definitely did seem to get exaggerated or rather compressed somewhat, particularly the nose. I see a bit too much of the "Hot Toys" look going on, where the sculpt gets shrunk in production to a slightly smaller size, which could explain why the now, mouth, eyes seem so much closer together and exaggerated now.

Overall though, it's still pretty good.
marker2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:55 PM   #94
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I appreciate obsessive, detail-oriented observations.

Possible explanation though...

It's Valerian steel. Magic. Maybe it doesn't get blunted/dulled?
To be fair, I would hardly call it a "detail-oriented observation" - as it's right there in front of the statue - and one of the first things a person will see.

For most people - I imagine it won't be a topic, but - as I mentioned - for anyone who understands swords, knives or any weapon really - they'll immediately see the ridiculousness of ever doing what he's doing.

Even if a sword was made from some wonder material, you would still never treat it like a walking stick or a crutch to lean on......unless you were badly wounded and needed a crutch, and the sword was all you had....but even in that extreme scenario, you'd leave it in the scabbard at least, and let the scabbard take the damage and not your sword.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:54 PM   #95
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

How many people really have knowledge of bladed weapons though?

Not many of us, I propose. That's why I referred to it as more of an obscure detail most wouldn't even think about.

Similar complaint over at PCS regarding TMNT Raphael. They (and almost every other artist/statue) have no knowledge of sai. He's holding it incorrectly almost 100% of the time. Very few care, because very few know.
ZenLogikos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:26 PM   #96
azurepred
The Masters of Evil

I think it turned out great. I agree with the sword observation, but it still looks cool.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:05 PM   #97
Kovacs
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Talking

Quote:
Its valyrian steel. It doesnt even need to be sharpened. I would do the same if sit on the throne. Doing the same pose and looking down over the peasants.
Kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #98
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
Its valyrian steel. It doesnt even need to be sharpened. I would do the same if sit on the throne. Doing the same pose and looking down over the peasants.
Welcome to the forum!
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:29 PM   #99
Kovacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Haha thanks mate.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:50 PM   #100
Kovacs

Got charged and being shipped. Anyone has gotten theirs yet?