Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
Babytoxie
Ghost

If you're currently reading Valiant Comics, I have a question for you

I fell behind on their trades about a year ago. I was enjoying them but ended up choosing other books.

This week, I saw a trade of The Valiant at the LCS and was wondering if it was worth getting back into their various series. I checked Amazon and was surprised/amused by the fact that, even though this book was released on May 21st, there are already 57 reviews up, the majority of which are 5-stars and read like they were written by shills. I'm wondering if anyone here has read it, and what you thought of it.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

It was pretty good, but not insanly amazing like some may make out.

Riveras art is great, and it does a good job of laying down some mythos and serving as a good intro to the universe for new readers.

I was a bit miffed it was all basically a setup story for Bloodshot Reborn though. And it was a bit underwhelming for the first major universe-wide teamup.

But overall, id recommend it.
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
Babytoxie
Ghost

Cool - thank you!
Old 06-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
whd
Suicide Squad

I've enjoyed most of the new Valiant. I thought Armor Hunters had way too many tie ins, but overall I like the majority of what they're trying to do. I haven't read the new The Valiant trade, as it's sitting in my to be read pile.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I'm thinking of picking up a hardcover deluxe edition (I'm biased against tpb) and was thinking Bloodshot looks totally badass. Can anyone endorse this? Other recommendations?

edit - yes I'm resurrecting a super old thread
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I'm kind of at the begining with The Valiant books.

I read Harbinger vol. 1-2-3 and Bloodshot vol. 1-2 so far. They were pretty good. I follow The Valiant books as tpb in turkish. They started to publish them around here and i was like ''why not, lets check them out'' and checked them out. They started to publish with Harbinger so that was what i started with and Harbinger is probably the begining so i recommend stating from Harbinger.

Bloodshot is mega bad ass, dude. He's probably the most bad ass and wronged Valiant character. I'm at the first Valiant cross over The Harbinger Wars right now. I started to The event with the 3rd Harbinger trade: The Harbinger Wars. There is also a Bloodshot vol. 3: The Harbinger Wars and there is a The Harbinger Wars trade on its own so even if you start with Bloodshot, you better check Harbinger out before Bloodshot vol. 3 to better understand what's going on, they crossover like this pretty early. (and you better grab The Harbinger Wars trade too) I just got the newly pusblished Harbinger vol. 5 yesterday. and i can't wait for what they will publish next from The Valiant. I hope it's X-O Manowar, everyone says it's amazing. I really liked The Valiant universe that if Valiant ever publishes Omnibuses of their titles, i will be allover them. I actually would be all over the deluxes too, if i wasn't too late to the party, so many oop books.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #7
MrJones

Yes from my first post a few hours ago I did some research and read that to get into the Valiant universe it's best to start with Harbinger or XO Manowar. I didn't realize the deluxe versions were OOP! So hopefully I get some luck if I can find some as I don't like to collect tpb.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Babytoxie
Ghost

I recommend Bloodshot. I found it to be one of the worst of the original Valiant titles, but under the new Valiant, his potential has been fully realized. Great stuff!

I got back into Harbinger & X-0 as well, and I liked what I read; however, I haven't kept up with them for the past half-year or so.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
MrJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
I recommend Bloodshot. I found it to be one of the worst of the original Valiant titles, but under the new Valiant, his potential has been fully realized. Great stuff!

I got back into Harbinger & X-0 as well, and I liked what I read; however, I haven't kept up with them for the past half-year or so.
I have heard that the company went under and was rebooted in 2012 and since then it has been pretty damn outstanding.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #10
Babytoxie
Ghost

Yes, that's correct. The Valiant characters have been rebooted under all-new ownership, out of necessity.

In my opinion, nothing beats the first two years or so of original Valiant... when they also had the license to Solar, Magnus, and Turok. But under new ownership, their own characters are back in the spotlight again. The new company is doing what they can without those licensed characters that played such a big role in the original stories, and they're doing a good job.