Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Tom King's Mister Miracle

Wow!

I read King's The Vision comic from Marvel a little while back & absolutely loved it, agreeing with the many critics who called it The Best comic of 2016. It was groundbreaking for me & felt like something special that only comes around every once in a while like the original Miller' Dark Knight or Gaiman's The Sandman or Cooke's New Frontier. Now, with only 1-issue down, I'm not prepared to put Tom King's take on Mr. Miracle in that category, but I will say that this 1st issue feels different & important. No spoilers, I know that you all may not have cracked it yet, but it's intense & centers around Scott Free's attempt at escaping from something beyond challenging. It has the same vibe I found w/ King's Vision ... that sense of foreboding & tension akin to a great horror novel or comic. Plenty of old, familiar New God & Apokolips faces ground the book. Pick this one up!

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I PICKED THIS UP TODAY AND LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. A GREAT CHARACTER THAT HAS NOT BEEN GIVEN HIS DUE IN YEARS
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

+ Barda's in it & I just love Barda. She & Dr. Strange's Clea are my 2 favorite female comic-book characters.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
ftrez
Nightwing

A very non-traditional super-hero story to say the least.

I give it a thumbs up!
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I hope it will turn out as good as The Vision. I'm a trade waiter so i will get the Deluxe HC, if they make one.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Wow, my LCS is sold out but they think they'll get more copies.

I did pick up the New Gods and Newsboy Legion specials, though.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Spoilery review

http://www.cbr.com/mister-miracle-to...-mitch-gerads/
Old 08-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
Babytoxie
Ghost

I'll definitely pick up the collected edition, but primarily because of my love for anything involving the New Gods. I'm not a fan of King's. I heard nothing but raves for his Omega Men limited series, but it didn't do much for me, and to have the story focus primarily on Kyle Rayner was a huge disservice to the other characters. Looks like this one will actually focus on the title character, so that's a step in the right direction...
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
I'll definitely pick up the collected edition, but primarily because of my love for anything involving the New Gods. I'm not a fan of King's. I heard nothing but raves for his Omega Men limited series, but it didn't do much for me, and to have the story focus primarily on Kyle Rayner was a huge disservice to the other characters. Looks like this one will actually focus on the title character, so that's a step in the right direction...
I've never read his Omega Men, but, as I mentioned, I adored his Vision book. His Batman stuff going on over at DC right now has yet to blow my mind, the few issues I've read. BT, flick thru King's Vision trade the next time you're at your LCS. I think you'll like it. This Mr. Miracle feels akin to it. & by the way, there's a New Gods One-Shot out now, focusing on Orion that I pointed out over in the "Recommend Trades & Comics" thread that you may wanna pick up. Lot's of cool Kirby stuff happening right now.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I've never liked King's writing with the outsized exception of his Vision book. To me, that was like Morrison's All-Star Superman which was a staggeringly brilliant piece of work from a writer who's bored or angered me with everything else he's done.

I'm grabbing up all the Kirby stuff DC is doing now, most recently their New Gods and Newsboy Legion one-shots.