Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 05-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
Storm Lover
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

What Prime for Chrome spray paint?

I am clearly an amateur at painting, and need some advice. What shade/color works best as a prime underneath a silver chrome spray paint.

Thanks in advance,

SL
Storm Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

All depends on what you are looking to do.

I used Duplicolor black Primer on all my items that are fine sanded and ready to be painted.

I used Tamiya Chrome silver paint on a lot of my items but when i use that i use a few coats so primer never is seen thru it, but sticks well to the dulicolor primer.

When i use Alclad chrome, you have to use a gloss paint, but i use Duplicolo white gloss on that to get it buffed up to a super mirror shine and the white tends to make it brighter then black gloss.

But if you are going for misting of chrome paint and want a color to show thru, can experiment on it.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Listen to Vince!

Never thought of using gloss white with Alclad before...now I wanna try it...
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
Storm Lover
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
All depends on what you are looking to do.

I used Duplicolor black Primer on all my items that are fine sanded and ready to be painted.

I used Tamiya Chrome silver paint on a lot of my items but when i use that i use a few coats so primer never is seen thru it, but sticks well to the dulicolor primer.

When i use Alclad chrome, you have to use a gloss paint, but i use Duplicolo white gloss on that to get it buffed up to a super mirror shine and the white tends to make it brighter then black gloss.

But if you are going for misting of chrome paint and want a color to show thru, can experiment on it.
Thanks for your expertise my friend; I think I'll try the White gloss primer. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks again,

SL
Storm Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voshizle@gmail. View Post
Listen to Vince!

Never thought of using gloss white with Alclad before...now I wanna try it...

Ya i found out that when buffing alclad on black gloss you sometimes get the black showing thru and its a deep chrome look. But when i want a nice super bright chrome using white makes it really shine. Plus when i mist some thinned tamiya clears over it, it comes out like a super colored aluminum you see on bikes etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Lover View Post
Thanks for your expertise my friend; I think I'll try the White gloss primer. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Word of advice, i found out if you prime a piece and get it super smooth and then use a dulicolor gloss paint you will get a reaction and wont be smooth or may get bubbles.

Pick up Duplicolor Primer Sealer, that stuff goes on smooth and thick and i dont get a reaction to other primer when i use the gloss paint. I know its extra steps, but reason why i go thru all this is what i learned from my father and cousins who do auto body work. So i more or less took pages out of their books on how to get a smoothed surface and proper way of getting a car ready for car paint.

So my process for Alclad chrome is this.

Duplicolor Filler Primer (grey) - helps me fill scratched and find mistakes. Prime and sand, prime and sand.

Duplicolor Primer (black) - when all the filler is done i give my piece a coating of this and use a super fine sponge sanding cloth like thing i got at home depot. They look like SOS pads, but thin and good at smoothing up a primed piece.

Duplicolor Primer Sealer - nice even smooth coat, let it sit for a day or so, dont want to gloss coat right away. Stuff is thick so you want it to get dried up.

Duplicolor White Gloss - Spray on even coats, not to thick not to thin. Let this sit for a week. I know the can says its dry in 20min, but the layer on the bottom is still moist or wet. So if you are gonna alclad and buff it up, dont want to smush the paint up. This point the piece should look like it a plastic toy if you got it all smooth and even.

Last Alclad - thin first coat, let it dry for 15-20min, buff it up using a camera lens cloth, repeat till you get it super chrome look, dont over do it, or it will become metallic paint. Maybe 3 coats at the most.

So thats what i do for my alclads, lot of work but the results are like it just got dipped into a chrome bath. Took me a few pieces and experiments to get it to this level, first time i did alclad i messed up bad, had to redo it all over. Best to try on a item or something to just get the process down, and you may find a different one then mine that works for you. All about having fun and finding out what works.

So good luck with it.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
Voshizle@gmail.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of that Vince. My first couple of tries with alclad ended up looking just like metallic hobby point so I definitely know what you're talking about. Once you get the hang of it the results are fantastic though. Do you by chance have a link to a piece you did with the gloss white underneath? Or would you mind just throwing a pic in this thread? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
boons88

thanks for the tips

so,, to get metallic version of other colors, i should be able to mist the allclad over an existing color? did i read that right?
boons88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voshizle@gmail. View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post all of that Vince. My first couple of tries with alclad ended up looking just like metallic hobby point so I definitely know what you're talking about. Once you get the hang of it the results are fantastic though. Do you by chance have a link to a piece you did with the gloss white underneath? Or would you mind just throwing a pic in this thread? Thanks.
my Step by step section on my web site shows what i did for my Quasar bands.

http://web.me.com/ficchi/Ficchi_Illu...p_by_Step.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by boons88 View Post
so,, to get metallic version of other colors, i should be able to mist the allclad over an existing color? did i read that right?

No you get the alclad chrome done first, then you mist a color over the alclad like i did above in tamiya clear yellow.

So far it seems tamiya clears go on smooth compared to other clears i tired and just would bleed.

I use tamiya paint thinner to thin out the clears and go evenly and no to thick. i dont over spray right away cause im not sure what would happen if that tamiya thinner got to heavy on the alclad. Shin coats to build up the color and keep that reflective chrome.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #9
Voshizle@gmail.

Sweet thanks so much for the in-depth explanations.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
DD_fan96
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

i had a problem one time with Alclad paints. I primered it with duplicolor, let it dry for about an hour, sprayed with Duplicolor Gloss Black, let it dry overnight, and then sprayed with Alclad. The Alclad wouldn't stick to the gloss paint and I got a terrible cracked bubbly look.

You ever had that happen?
DD_fan96 is offline   Reply With Quote