Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 07-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #111
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Hope things were better today for those attending?
Much, MUCH better mate. Many of the issues from Day One were corrected and\or improved, and much more care was taken with VIP, Platinum and Excelsior! ticket holders. Today was a much roomier, stress free environment
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #112
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

ugh, I lost my thumb ring at the convention
No biggie though, it wasn't super-valuable or anything, I was quite happy with my art though, hopefully I'll be able to post it up sooner rather than later.
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #113
Royd
Producer
Producer

Good to hear although the extensive negative word of mouth will be difficult to counter even with the deleting of comments at the Facebook page!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Much, MUCH better mate. Many of the issues from Day One were corrected and\or improved, and much more care was taken with VIP, Platinum and Excelsior! ticket holders. Today was a much roomier, stress free environment
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #114
mez
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Just saw something on the Oz Comic Con Page that was interesting.

At Oz-Comic Con day 1 (saturday), Stan Lee signed 1,000 autographs in 4 hours. That works out to be just over 4 a minute. Autographs were $30, which is $30,000. He also did photos, which were more expensive.

Add in the entry of those getting autos/photos plus whatever else they buy (and everything again on day two) and you have a huge, huge total.

I heard someone say (hearsay, take with a grain of salt), that his daily apperance fee was at least $50,000. I think it's safe to say that both he and Oz Comic Con made a fair bit of money off of his apperance.

And as a note, I see nothing wrong with actors charging for autos and photos nor artists charging for sketches and I think they're normally having a working holiday when they come down to the cons. The math was just an interesting look at behind the scenes.
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #115
Woody
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Back home tonight after a short holiday in Vic after the con.

Now, I'm stoked and totally grateful that I got a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet Stan Lee. That was my goal for the con, and I achieved it (despite the odds at times). Meeting and shaking The Man's hand was awesome, a childhood dream come true.

But aside from that.... I thought the con was a complete debacle. Complete misinformation from volunteers, terrible disorganisation, unbelievable problems with routing of queues, it was really quite laughable at times. I feel for those people who paid heaps for VIP tickets and really were no better off than anyone else, from what I saw.

I understand that queues and crowds are a part of all cons, that's fine. But the issues here were incredible, and really tarnished my experience of the con. On Sunday I took my 4 year old, arrived 45mins before doors opened, waited until 9:45am to get in, and left after 30 mins after I almost lost him three times in the pushing and shoving crowd. It was just too packed to enjoy.

I even got a refund on my pre-paid Stan Lee Sunday photo token because I couldn't face being there all day again.

As Royd said above, I think the organisers have some real work to do to reverse the negative feeling that's out there after this.

Bring on Supanova Adelaide, and (hopefully) a more relaxed vibe!?!
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #116
Rocket
Art of Mod

Well looks like you'll be seeing us in Adelaide again Woody there's no way in hell Steph and I aren't coming over for William freaking Shatner!!!!!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #117
Woody
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Well looks like you'll be seeing us in Adelaide again Woody there's no way in hell Steph and I aren't coming over for William freaking Shatner!!!!!
Good to hear Rod! I gotta hand it to Oz Comic Con, they sure pull the big names! (now they just have to fine tune the organisational problems and it will be an awesome experience).

I have zero interest in Star Trek myself, but I'm looking forward to the comic guests being announced (got any tips for me?)
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #118
jollyskeleton
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

They just announced Khal Drogo (Jason Momoa) too! On top of already mentioned Amanda Tapping!
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #119
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
How awesome was that news!
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #120
Royd
Producer
Producer

Oops, Amanda Tapping has cancelled but........ Richard Dean Anderson will now be attending!!!

I might be at OzCC Perth as an exhibitor, more on that later if it works out.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote