Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-23-2006, 10:45 AM   #1
stoneindian
Sculptor
Sculptor

armature stands?

where can I find an armature stand like this one?

http://www.electrictiki.com/classic%...s/lobster.html

or where do you get the parts to make it?

thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Saurons I
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I bought mine from d i c k b l i c k . c o m.
Saurons I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Location: California, the world's largest outdoor free-range insane asylum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurons I
I bought mine from d i c k b l i c k . c o m.
Hi Sauron I:I checked out **** Blick's website and I couldn't find it. Did you have a link you could share with Stoneindian? In the meantime, I'll continue the search elsewhere.

Stoneindian: Perhaps you can e-mail Tracy Lee over at Electric Tiki Designs and ask him yourself. Quality armature stands like the one in that photo are a rarity. One thing is for sure: it's a manufactured item, not a custom fabricated unit. Let us know what you find out.
Curt Chiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
stoneindian
Sculptor
Sculptor

thanks guys. I've been making my own for some time and they can get alittle wobelly after awhile. the one in the picture looks like a quality armiture stand
Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #5
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Hi Guys:

A progress update: I just received a very cordial reply from Tracy Lee over at Electric Tiki Designs. It would appear that I was incorrect about the source of the adjustable armature support - they weren't manufactured at all, but custom created by Ruben Procopio's dad, Adolfo, who's a 35 year veteran Disney sculptor and mold-maker! Superb craftsmanship!
Old 01-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Chiarelli
Hi Guys:

A progress update: I just received a very cordial reply from Tracy Lee over at Electric Tiki Designs. It would appear that I was incorrect about the source of the adjustable armature support - they weren't manufactured at all, but custom created by Ruben Procopio's dad, Adolfo, who's a 35 year veteran Disney sculptor and mold-maker! Superb craftsmanship!
no wonder it loooks so damn sturdy and nice. Ruben's dad is a craftsman fromt he old school. Ruben has shown me some of the stuff his father has done and it is incredible.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
Curt Chiarelli
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinSD
no wonder it loooks so damn sturdy and nice. Ruben's dad is a craftsman fromt he old school. Ruben has shown me some of the stuff his father has done and it is incredible.

Ruben, outside of being an excellent sculptor, is also a true gentleman in taking the time to answer my inquiries. Craftsmanship, like professional courtesy, has become a rarity nowadays.

By the way, those supports were designed by Adolfo and machined by an in-house machinist over at Disney Imagineering during the 1980's.

You know CK, I'm so frustrated by the shoddy quality of sculpting tools available nowadays that I'm almost tempted to design and manufacture a line of affordable, premium-quality tools and studio hardware myself.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:16 AM   #8
Saurons I
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

The armature in that link looks really solid. The one I bought from Blick is certainly not as good, but it's ok. Blick has 2 different ones. Here's what they look like. I have the second one.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

Curt,

looking at Ruben's armature support and the one's D.blick has you can see the obvious differences.

If you could make a high end armature support like that I'm sure folks would buy them. something that would last for 20 years is worth some $$ for sure.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
Saurons I

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinSD
Curt,

If you could make a high end armature support like that I'm sure folks would buy them. something that would last for 20 years is worth some $$ for sure.
Yeah, I agree. The one from Blick swivels where the main rod meets the base. It's not supposed to, I assume, but it's actually proved quite useful. Sometimes I'll actually swivel my sculpt off of the base in order to get at hard to reach places on the legs or something. It's really pretty handy.