Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #1081
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I think its more than just that as there has been a rise in Chinese manufacturing pretty much across the board, not just with high end statues.

'Made in China' isn't so cheap anymore, and that could spell headache for Beijing

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/27/chin...p-anymore.html
Yep, my cousins/uncles used to make no more than $100/month 15 years ago, now they are making 4 times that now.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #1082
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

I've been buying stuff from Sideshow since roughly 2004 so I guess you could say I was around for the OG stuff. Except for a few exceptions, most of the OG stuff was just ok compared to the stuff we get now in my opinion. Back then, we were excited for the stuff released because Sideshow was pretty much the only game in town for 1/4 scale stuff and we desperately wanted our favorite characters in statue format. Now you have multiple companies competing and everyone is trying to bring their A game in order to sell their product to potential buyers which is great for the buyers. The OG stuff back then was alright but for me, there's never been a better time to be a collector than now. I look at some of the older stuff I bought and now think to myself, "There's no way I'd buy that now given the stuff currently (or will be) available". I think people bring up the older stuff because they liked the idea of old school hand-sculpted pieces with lower edition sizes.

It's like anything else I guess...take cars for example. There are those out there that love the classic cars and those cars have their charm, but for me, I'd take a brand new Ford GT350R, McLaren 675LT, or Ferrari 488 GTB any day of the week. Only thing I wish that carried over from back then are the lower prices.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #1083
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
"People like you"?! JK
Yes, people that share your opinion. People like you.

Quote:
Were talking about DC, not Red Sonja. DC's are much more simplistic. Theyre all museum poses for the most part so nothing extravagant. And like I said, ALL my pieces have been great so comparing MY Poison Ivy to this I see no difference in paint app and def no more "detail". Each character has its own outfit so if it requires more "detail" that isn't because SS developed it and deserves some kind of credit.
No, I was talking about Sideshow statues in general. Nowhere in any of the discussions I have seen regarding these topics have I ever seen anyone suggest that they were only talking about DC statues from Sideshow. And the idea that DC characters are more simplistic to make into statues than Dynamite characters, or any other characters for that matter, is nothing short of comical. How easy a statue is to create depends entirely on the design and DC characters can have just as extravagant of designs as any other characters on the market.

Quote:
I think your level of improvement from 2 years ago to today is over exaggerated. And China being the blame for the hikes, sure, a little but not as much as its going. EACH new PF has a higher price (ODD). Show where pricing has leveled out with ANY PF.
Again, your entitled to your opinion. In my opinion its not exaggerated in the slightest. Again the difference between the 1st Red Sonja and the 2nd and 3rd is a perfect example. The difference is night and day. And by all means, please show me the link that gives you the abiity to specify that the rise in price for Chinese manufacturing and the rise in costs for shipping only amount to a "little" bit of the total price hikes we have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Yep, my cousins/uncles used to make no more than $100/month 15 years ago, now they are making 4 times that now.
I know people who deal with Chinese manufacturing regarding golf gear and even those prices have risen dramatically in recent years. As that article states, its pretty much Chinese manufacturing in general that has skyrocketed, not just manufacturing dealing with statues or other collectibles.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #1084
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
That's like, just your opinion man.

You must really be upset, because everyone of your posts just bashes on SS.

Completely disagree that people are settling for less. SS is pumping out some of their best work ever. Now, do you get the same value for money is a different argument, but the landscape has changed. Point being, you can gripe about pricing all you want, but to bag on the pieces themselves? Cmon man!

Some have responded to my post I heard what they said I respect their opinion and all previous post but we will have to agree to disagree.

As I have stated in my past "bashing" post 90% of my collection is ss. I have NO problem with people liking the way things are glad they are happy with their statues but I stand by what I say in my opinion people have settled for less. You give people a certain overall quality (they get used to it) and the quality in my opinion is not on par with their prices. in my opinion the prices don't warrent the pAintjob, the edition size, weight, packaging etc. I'm not saying they are stagnant they have made improvements due to other companies pushing them but it still not again in my opinion the hungry ss that was the past.

Price does warrent sculpt and that's one area they can't be touched in but surly paintjob weight etc warrents price and that is sorely lacking for me.

I await to see huntress in person and see if she's has the skin tone of one of my pvc anime figures that cost $80.00 but cost $470.00.

i don't agree that old school ss was mainly pricing and edition size old school ss was quality paint, sculpt, overall representation of character, great packaging.

I leave with this
(Although massively dropping in price what isn't) the prices people are willing to pay for the old school stuff speaks volumes of itself vs dishing out 5-700 on new ss stuff. Enjoy paying for the art print as well that used to come standard and does with other companies.

Also anyone have a 1/4 toothbrush and dental tools I need to fix wolverines teeth. Hulk is not happy about his teeth.

I also need some more materials to bring killer croc up to size the monster that is killer croc is now a small child compared to the batman pf but cost more.

Has anyone seen supergirls face it's love at first sight right. Oh and where have I seen that base before surly not the same concept again.

Also anyone know what my doctor doom new pf base is? They went from doom to throne to that. Also the green on his armor is that mold effects they were going for?

Congrats on bane, captain marvel, Phoenix, those are what ss is about for me.

Unfortunately more misses then hits for me anyways.

I can't wait to see surfing venom in person that's the one I'm dying to see. Meanwhile the price of the comiquette you know the small one where he looks like he's taking a dump cost more then this new one.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #1085
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmaster View Post
I've been buying stuff from Sideshow since roughly 2004 so I guess you could say I was around for the OG stuff. Except for a few exceptions, most of the OG stuff was just ok compared to the stuff we get now in my opinion. Back then, we were excited for the stuff released because Sideshow was pretty much the only game in town for 1/4 scale stuff and we desperately wanted our favorite characters in statue format. Now you have multiple companies competing and everyone is trying to bring their A game in order to sell their product to potential buyers which is great for the buyers. The OG stuff back then was alright but for me, there's never been a better time to be a collector than now. I look at some of the older stuff I bought and now think to myself, "There's no way I'd buy that now given the stuff currently (or will be) available". I think people bring up the older stuff because they liked the idea of old school hand-sculpted pieces with lower edition sizes.

It's like anything else I guess...take cars for example. There are those out there that love the classic cars and those cars have their charm, but for me, I'd take a brand new Ford GT350R, McLaren 675LT, or Ferrari 488 GTB any day of the week. Only thing I wish that carried over from back then are the lower prices.
Nothing beats the SS OG Hulk...nothing.

And I know what you mean about those fast cars, I rather have the new ones compared to the classics. I love my Ferrari Enzo.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #1086
jimjimmyjones85
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuhayabusa6787 View Post
But your right I can take my money elsewhere my only issue is I truly feel people have settled for less that's why they keep doing what they are doing.

Wonder where you might go?

Most of those in the industry are about this in cost or more, or don't even do 1/4 mixed media and are bigger and more expensive.

jimjimmyjones85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #1087
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHaiMark View Post
700 sit ups a day.
You truly are a Huntress fan.

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #1088
nearmint
Phoenix

Like any other business, Sideshow charges what they believe the market will bear. Sure, factory and licensing costs are part of the equation, but they're not going to leave money on the table when collectors are willing to spend it.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #1089
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Yes, people that share your opinion. People like you.

No, I was talking about Sideshow statues in general. Nowhere in any of the discussions I have seen regarding these topics have I ever seen anyone suggest that they were only talking about DC statues from Sideshow. And the idea that DC characters are more simplistic to make into statues than Dynamite characters, or any other characters for that matter, is nothing short of comical. How easy a statue is to create depends entirely on the design and DC characters can have just as extravagant of designs as any other characters on the market.

Again, your entitled to your opinion. In my opinion its not exaggerated in the slightest. Again the difference between the 1st Red Sonja and the 2nd and 3rd is a perfect example. The difference is night and day. And by all means please show me the link that gives you the abiity to specify just how much the rise in price for Chinese manufacturing and the rise in costs for shipping only amount to a "little" bit of the price hikes.

I know people who deal with Chinese manufacturing regarding golf gear and even those prices have risen dramatically in recent years. As that article states, its pretty much Chinese manufacturing in general that has skyrocketed, not just manufacturing dealing with statues or other collectibles.
We are in a Huntress thread albeit DC thread so... And what DC statue can you compare to any of the Red Sonja statues in terms of details, the "chain mail" the severed head, the gutted snake... DC pales in comparison. Keep apples to apples and so on.

Look I'm not bashing SS in terms of quality, I'm saying I don't see vast improvements over pieces that were already good to justify hikes. How is Huntress better than Ivy in terms of paint app and sculpt for example? As far as QC, well that should've been in place long ago not something collectors asked for and then get charged for. That's a business cost to keep your name reputable.

As far as China is concerned, each PF has a new price tag, are you honestly going to tell me China hits SS with a new fee on every new statue, c'mon. I 1st believed the China increase in the beginning of the hikes, but now... no way.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #1090
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
We are in a Huntress thread albeit DC thread so... And what DC statue can you compare to any of the Red Sonja statues in terms of details, the "chain mail" the severed head, the gutted snake... DC pales in comparison. Keep apples to apples and so on.

Look I'm not bashing SS in terms of quality, I'm saying I don't see vast improvements over pieces that were already good to justify hikes. How is Huntress better than Ivy in terms of paint app and sculpt for example? As far as QC, well that should've been in place long ago not something collectors asked for and then get charged for. That's a business cost to keep your name reputable.

As far as China is concerned, each PF has a new price tag, are you honestly going to tell me China hits SS with a new fee on every new statue, c'mon. I 1st believed the China increase in the beginning of the hikes, but now... no way.
I think the varying increase in prices can be for the most part explained by what comes with the statue. More switchout parts, the more it will cost. Add lighting? Add more dollars. More complex and bigger base? More dollars. You may argue other companies do this and you're right, they do, that is why their statues cost more.

When you campare pricing SS is generally cheaper than other companies.

Now, about this Huntress? Where is my tracking notice?!!!