Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 03-10-2022, 10:54 AM   #891
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
I received mine today and feel the opposite of Xenoburger on the overall piece. While it's not a perfect paintjob, it's cohesive and clean enough to read well and the presence is jaw-dropping. I don't think I've ever been more in awe of a collectible and I've seen other Prime 1 pieces in person. Just a great design and format for this particular Predator.

My gushing stops there. I noticed tiny cracks all along the forehead decals, hands, and even thighs (which are glossed). Some spots have even begun to chip.

I'm infuriated at this point. I thought the cracks on the head were due to the lack of gloss coat, but when I saw them on the thighs I knew this was futile. Dammit, why do these characters get the short end of the stick in the high-end world? They're either sculpted poorly, painted poorly, sealed poorly, or not made at all! Meanwhile Prime 1 puts out twenty Batmen a year and Hot Toys fills their release schedule with Disney merch.

How can we expect the 1/3 to be without issue? And at that ridiculous size and weight, even with exchanges available, what customer (or retailer) would want to deal with packing and shipping those things back and forth?
I'm with you here. I'm just getting exhausted worrying about my 1/3 JH PO. If they want to use decals, fine, I've already said it. But if they don't know how to properly use/apply them, what's the point.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:45 PM   #892
Halcyon
Loki

Quote:
Is it worth trying for a head replacement or do they all have these little slivers and cracks?

What are the chances I can prevent further damage by applying Mod Podge? Looks like even the glossed legs are vulnerable, but I don't know if it's because
1) the decal was applied over the gloss
2) the decal itself is prone to flaking, sealed or not
3) the surface was improperly primed

My principled side would rather return it and be done with the whole thing. My practical side isn't saying much different because I'd either be taking a chance on a modification OR shipping a giant box back and forth hoping to get a copy with fewer issues (which will still probably need to be sealed anyway).

EDIT: Looks like mine has the same issue as Ronny Haze's Big Game in some areas. The decal didn't fully set into the grooves on the bumpier parts of the thighs, so it hovers just above the surface of the sculpt and is prone to coming off.
No I don't have those small cracks on the head. And you have it all over (even on the crown blades). Looks like yours has been applied to dry and brushed to hard afterwards (not fixable, needs a full repaint).

Did you order direct from Prime1 or local in the US?
Reading your posts, I would suggest returning this one for full refund and buy a new one. 95% you get a better one.

Quote:
...vulnerable, but I don't know if it's because
1) the decal was applied over the gloss
2) the decal itself is prone to flaking, sealed or not
3) the surface was improperly primed
Answer:
1) Yes I think decals are applied on top of the main layers (which is a semi-gloss paint).
2) It is the thinnest type of foil decal and not sealed. If they had sealed it after good application, there would be no real risk for us.
3) No that is not the case with this statue.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:57 PM   #893
Blade3327
Nightwing

How's the finish on your statue's head, Halcyon? Is it matte or does it have a bit of gloss? Mine's completely matte, probably the driest looking part of the statue.

I guess I'm open to exchanging the head, but I'm still debating whether this statue is worth simply touching up, completely repainting, or returning altogether. If more problems arise in the future, the simple touch-up route won't be acceptable and a full repaint will be the most sustainable fix. In that case, I'd want to get a partial refund on this thing.

This is frustrating. I get that Predators are difficult to paint and mass-market companies will take shortcuts where possible, but how can they fail in the application of their shortcuts?
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:37 PM   #894
Halcyon
Loki

My heads have bit of gloss to it (the right amount).
Both bodies are quite matte especially at the areas of the decals.

I thought i had some closeup photos, but can't find them. Will make some new ones.
One of the bare heads I gave a small touch up.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:15 PM   #895
Blade3327
Nightwing

Got my replacement from Secret Compass today, number 97. I guess matching the year the film takes place was a good omen; only a few minor gripes with this one. Thighs have some spots where paint or decals look particularly dense, those will be trouble later if not protected. The planted left hand isn't sealed and looks to be developing a small crack, but fortunately hasn't chipped yet.

Head looks good and that was my biggest concern with the previous one. Glad to report there are no cracks or slivers of missing paint on the head. Finish is nice and glossy, too.

Overall, it's an improvement and one I'll stick with. Damn Prime 1 for coming up with such a great concept at such a low point in their manufacturing career.

Found it amusing that the instructions warn not to touch the netting for fear of damaging the paint on the skin. Why don't Hot Toys Predators come with such a warning? Makes you think.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:54 AM   #896
Halcyon
Loki

Thumbs up

Quote:
Got my replacement from Secret Compass today, number 97
Glad you have a decent one.

Sounds about the same as mine. Think there are only a few of these that came out (bit) better.
But yes, only touch the armor parts when lifting the body and I put my fingers around the hairs when placing the head. My head magnets are not that strong, but enough when at its place.

This statue on the wall looks even better than next to others on shelf.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:59 PM   #897
Python
Omega Red

Good to hear you've got a new one Blade. Still love mine. I think I'm going to wall mount it and just sell my Sideshow P2 maquette. That one is nice but I prefer this one and I have two very large statues heading my way so could do with the added floor space. The 1/3 Big chap is on route now with the 1/3 JH whenever it's ready...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:19 PM   #898
Blade3327
Nightwing

Looked at it this morning in proper light with fresh eyes. Noticed more cracks on the arms and feet and the netting is torn on the knee.

This is getting old. I guess this one would be easier to fix in some ways? But the experience is just demoralizing. I dunno what a fair price for something like this would be, but $900 doesn't seem right.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #899
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Ask for a partial refund and have a professional fix it up for you.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:44 AM   #900
marker2037
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Blade, but as has been said before, this piece needs to be gloss sealed basically as soon as you receive it. Doesn't matter if you see glossy areas already, you need to seal it or risk damaging the decals when you touch the statue.

I'm not too big of a stickler for minor imperfections on statues as I have come to learn that they are par for the course and just part of the hobby, but I can understand being pissed off at the execution on this guy. I will add that once you do properly gloss seal it, the minor imperfections become far less noticeable to the eye as the gloss tends to blend everything better together.
marker2037 is offline   Reply With Quote