Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
wow you guys are pretty harsh on arh, considering some of the crap paint & lazy eye sideshow has been churning out lately... I actually like arh, their paint quality has always been good and i am very picky. Got the leonidas, athena, and thor, all look very good (despite the piss poor packaging).

And i dont see the sculpt as been simple, they are going for the conan look not the diablo barbarian with all the fancy armor. As i said the sculpt is a bit more japanese anime feel than the traditional american fantasy. Guess that's what is throwing off some of you, but i love it. Will look great next to my bloodbath leonidas & diablo barbarian.

to each his own..
I can't recall much said here in the negative about ARH's Medusa or Leonidas. Athena is another one that I don't recall much said here that was negative. The latest pieces from ARH, - vampire queen and barbarian are definitely imo, not in the same league as the aforementioned pieces. I think barbarian was an interesting idea that in the end did not quite measure up. It seems to be a bit "gimmicky" to me with the piles and piles of skulls. Some people may really like it, and that's great for them. In the end it is all about collecting what makes you happy, not what makes someone else happy.

I might get the barbarian down the line if I can get it for less than retail, but it isn't going to the top of the list of "wants" anytime soon. Actually, I'd be more likely to get the Medusa.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #22
sith_apprentice
The Avengers

Personally I love what ARH is doing, kind of a mixture of historical and fantasy pieces. God knows we have enough statues of Boba Fett, Darth Maul, Wolverine, The Hulk, Alien, Predator, Batman, Terminator, Iron Man and Wonder Woman... it's nice to have something original. Personally, I'm in love with ARH's Athena and Genghis, but haven't bought them yet.
sith_apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #23
SKORPIO8
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
I think it would have worked much better with the blood on the sword, and then very minor drops here and there under the sword running down on a FEW skulls.
I totally agree ,thereafter i would go for regular one
SKORPIO8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
skorpsta
Ghost

if it was 1/6th id get the reg version, i love how this came out i like the fact that he has barbarian paints on..looks real nice!!
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #25
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
I can't recall much said here in the negative about ARH's Medusa or Leonidas. Athena is another one that I don't recall much said here that was negative. The latest pieces from ARH, - vampire queen and barbarian are definitely imo, not in the same league as the aforementioned pieces. I think barbarian was an interesting idea that in the end did not quite measure up. It seems to be a bit "gimmicky" to me with the piles and piles of skulls. Some people may really like it, and that's great for them. In the end it is all about collecting what makes you happy, not what makes someone else happy.

I might get the barbarian down the line if I can get it for less than retail, but it isn't going to the top of the list of "wants" anytime soon. Actually, I'd be more likely to get the Medusa.
In sculpt? Or in composition? Big difference to me! It is one thing to not like a statue because it is a bad sculpt (this is not the case with Barbarian or QoV). However, it is more plausible if one does not like the total composition (a case can be made for any statue in this regard).

I've always been one that prefers action poses or poses that convey a characteristic of the character (Athena, Thor, Silver Surfer Comiquette, Lara Croft PF etc.). But there are some museum type poses that are also done really well (Medusa, Queen of Vampires, Gladiator from Hard Hero, etc.). And to me the sculpting of these statues are nicely done.

Now I can understand if one doesnt prefer Barbarian or QoV in their poses. Thats fine and understandable. Maybe some wanted QoV to be walking over dead bodies of victims she just drank from; maybe they wanted Barabarian in an action pose hacking and slashing or whatnot, but to say the sculpts are poor is just unwarranted. The sculpts are in the same league.

To me, I agree that Medusa and Athena and the Thor are better compositions as a whole than Barbarian or QoV, but thats mostly due to their phenomenal bases. If one was to compare the Valkyrie to the QoV, at least in my case, I would go for the Valkyie because of the awesome boat base and pose which give it a more action type feel. However, ARH states in the video that QoV was not about action or domination over others, etc. He says he was going for a sultry Queen that is lord of her castle kind of feel to it (not in those exact words). So when he explains what he was going for, the statue absolutely works. Sure, one can think of other ways to convey this with a different composition, but it also works here as well.

In any case with the Barbarian, I absolutely am a fan of the composition and the sculpt. When I see it, I just get the feel that he has just come back from a massive battle and has brought all the skulls of his kills with him. In this regard, I kind of am leaning toward the Blood version which makes more sense. If he has just battled and have skulls in hand, there would be blood and dirt all over him, his sword, and the ground.

So I am leaning toward the blood version. Oh boy decisions, decisions.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #26
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I'm sorry, I simply don't understand how you think the Queen of the Vampires sculpt and pose is so incredibly fitting of the character, when it looks like it was lifted directly from the pose of Cleopatra.

To me, it simply looks like they are trying to save time and money by re-using Cleopatra's sculpt and pose and adding Pocahontas' hair.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #27
dechirico7
The Flash

I'd rather save up and get the Moore Conan The Conqueror or Conan the Barbarian. They are both classic statues that have excellent sculpts and paint jobs. This looks flat imo. It doesn't look like there is even any detail/paint added to his face. I still think it is a solid piece, but it just doesn't look finished to me. I am conflicted on the shadowing of his skin too. I like it, but I also think it looks kind of amateurish.

I really wish ARH would release Ares, that was an incredible piece. Hopefully his paint will be more like Thor or Leonidas. Those two pieces came out great.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #28
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
I'd rather save up and get the Moore Conan The Conqueror or Conan the Barbarian. They are both classic statues that have excellent sculpts and paint jobs. This looks flat imo. It doesn't look like there is even any detail/paint added to his face. I still think it is a solid piece, but it just doesn't look finished to me. I am conflicted on the shadowing of his skin too. I like it, but I also think it looks kind of amateurish.

I really wish ARH would release Ares, that was an incredible piece.
Yeah, but it seems that's what ARH does. They scrap the greatly designed statues for more boob statues.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #29
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Yeah, but it seems that's what ARH does. They scrap the greatly designed statues for more boob statues.
Huge tits with huge nips must sell.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #30
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Simple answer to their problems.

http://youtu.be/wSReSGe200A
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote