Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-31-2018, 04:51 AM   #11
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

Fabric will fade long before paint does so above all else, keep mixed media statues away from sunlight as best possible.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #12
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnShinNoi View Post
Fabric will fade long before paint does so above all else, keep mixed media statues away from sunlight as best possible.
True, mix media statues would be affected before sculpted statues would...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:22 PM   #13
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnShinNoi View Post
Excellent point. Not just fade, but deteriorate - due to humidity, many forms of pollution, insects, etc.

I prefer to keep my mixed-media statues behind glass.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #14
Gothamite
Phoenix

Buddy Bradley, light does indeed affect paints on statues, especially flesh tones.

Mera turned red.

Wonder Woman turned red.

Bombshells Wonder Woman turned red.
http://www.statueforum.com/showpost....97&postcount=2

These three busts/statues were exposed to sunlight or displayed under hot lights.

As others have observed, I also suggest sticking with blackout curtains and LED lights. UV coating will still allow sunlight into the room, thus discoloring statues (albeit gradually).
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #15
blackbat
Frackin!

It's almost like they got sunburned.

I also have no windowless rooms and recently bought Filmvantage UV tint film to supplement my blackout curtains.
blackbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:40 PM   #16
built2shred
Phoenix

The window tinting blocks 98% of UV light so 2% still gets through, that said I have statues that are 9+ years old that show no signs of fading..

I have all LED lights in my house and display cases so that helps also..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #17
Buddy Bradley
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
You've made some factually incorrect statements here, but the rest that is opinion (which no one is really debating here) is completely valid, of course.
The only thing I stated as a fact was the difference between fugitive and lightfast pigments. Are you disputing that there is such a thing as a lightfast pigment?

I never said that light won't have any effect on any statue ever. That's why I keep my blinds shut.
Buddy Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #18
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Bradley View Post
The only thing I stated as a fact was the difference between fugitive and lightfast pigments. Are you disputing that there is such a thing as a lightfast pigment?

I never said that light won't have any effect on any statue ever. That's why I keep my blinds shut.
Geez, delayed reply...haha.

But yeah, that was essentially the issue - your portrayal of pigments being in one of two categories.

"When it comes to resistance to fading, there are two types of pigments. Lightfast and fugitive."

Regardless of how they're advertised, no pigment is lightfast. It's a scale, not a guarantee, and just indicates that certain pigments are more lightfast than others. All will eventually fade.

"The cost of the pigments shouldn't be a factor. More lightfast does not equal more expensive."

Also, organic pigments are typically less expensive than inorganic, and organics tend to be less lightfast, so yes, there could be a cost difference if lower quality paints are used.

I tend to believe though, that that isn't an issue here. The quality of paints used in the industry seem to be fairly lightfast, but that's just opinion based on observation of my collection and others.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:56 PM   #19
Buddy Bradley
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Geez, delayed reply...haha.

But yeah, that was essentially the issue - your portrayal of pigments being in one of two categories.

"When it comes to resistance to fading, there are two types of pigments. Lightfast and fugitive."

Regardless of how they're advertised, no pigment is lightfast. It's a scale, not a guarantee, and just indicates that certain pigments are more lightfast than others. All will eventually fade.
Of course it's a scale, but that doesn't make my statement inaccurate. Pigments rated ASTM I (excellent) or ASTM II (very good) are commonly referred to as lightfast. Pigments with an ASTM III rating are commonly referred to as fugitive. The word lightfast isn't used to imply that a pigment cannot fade, only that it is highly resistant to it. Having said that, most objects painted with pigments considered to have excellent lightfastness would have to be stored in very harsh conditions for a very prolonged period of time to fade.

Quote:
"The cost of the pigments shouldn't be a factor. More lightfast does not equal more expensive."

Also, organic pigments are typically less expensive than inorganic, and organics tend to be less lightfast, so yes, there could be a cost difference if lower quality paints are used.
There are plenty of inorganic pigments that are among the least costly out there. Likewise, there are organic pigments that are equally permanent. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the idea that one must use highly fugitive paint in order to keep costs down.

Again, my original point was not to say that paint can't fade when exposed to light. My point was that I would suspect (I don't know) that the paints used on most statues can stand some indirect light. The room my statues are in is dark enough in the middle of a sunny day that I would need to turn on a light to read comfortably. If that causes a statue to fade, the statue is not worth paying for in my opinion. And I promise if I notice my statues fading, I'll come back here and admit I was wrong.
Buddy Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote