Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

inked with pen and brush or ink with markers and brushpens ?

anyone have any preference ?
i know some artists use purely brush pens to ink with as opposed to traditional ink with crowquill pens and brushes.Supposedly modern brushpens and markers ink is as lightfast as india ink, does it matter to anyone what method their art is inked with ?
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
SunnyLee
Doodler and Pencil Scratcher.
ArtistProducer

I guess that depends on the collector's tastes. If they want permanent, never fade, dark as midnight black, (probably a "grail" piece) then they're probably going to get it inked "professionally" with india ink via the traditional inking method. If they wanted a quick sketch or have something done grey markered, then I would guess a brush-pen would suffice. (I have yet to determine if those brush-pens black fade over time - I do know Sharpie's do).
SunnyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

thanks for answering . . .is it even a factor when commissioning someone ? do people ask how its inked ? i know i do, im very interested in the evolution of anything i commission from prelims right up to the finished piece.
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
SunnyLee
Doodler and Pencil Scratcher.
ArtistProducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryT View Post
thanks for answering . . .is it even a factor when commissioning someone ? do people ask how its inked ? i know i do, im very interested in the evolution of anything i commission from prelims right up to the finished piece.
Well, in my case, whenever I get commissioned, if they ask me about inking (usually because my pencils are so tight anyway), I'll usually steer them in the direction of a professional inker. (All my friends are egging me on to just start inking - especially Dustin Nguyen - who won't shut up about it ). At a pro commission full size spread, I will more often than not slide step the conversation toward a pro inker. In my mind, it just finishes off the piece better than my brush-pen ever could.

If they do get an inked something from me - it'll most likely be a "sketch" range piece so I would assume they'd know it's not going to be brush india inked and be brush-pen inked - probably with Copics.
SunnyLee is offline   Reply With Quote