Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
Hulk5150
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
I know some collectors feel that if they share pieces publicly it reduces the value.

Just out of curiosity, why is that?
Hulk5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk5150 View Post
Yeah - I never heard of that either... what's the reasoning behind that?
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Really? I've had numerous requests and never had an issue when I told them the art wasn't for sale. You must bring out the worst in people.

You'd think!

I would imagine that some people just don't take "no" for an answer very well. Also, I think (perhaps that's changed recently) that some people seem to view CAF as an all-out marketplace. As a result, some people get their hopes thinking a deal could be made. Again, not everyone deals with disappointment well either.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I pretty much show all the pieces I have. The only one I held off on showing for a good long time was for legal reasons.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk5150 View Post

I would imagine that the more one sees a piece, the less marketable or coveted it seems to become in the eyes of a beholder. Think of it as a house. The longer a house remains on the market, the more some people start to think it's either overpriced or not worth having in some way...
Old 11-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
ecthelion
Hydra

Yeah but you just said that CAF is not an all-out marketplace, so the pieces are not on the market, even though you post it on CAF.
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #17
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

There are some pieces yes , some are personal and I don't feel the need to share them and some because the artist doesn't want it placed online (because it's not published or people make prints of it )
It's a tricky question that's been on my mind lately , In my opinion it's nobody's business what I spend on something so why showcase it all over the internet . The only site I post stuff is comic art fans and I've been thinking of shutting down my Comic art Fans account too , but I like to see what other people share so I still try to do the same . But in the future I think I'm only putting up convention sketches or stuff like that . I posted a cover on the site and I thought to myself , it's published so people can see a quality pic of it everywhere online or in a comic book shop . What's the use in posting it online again ??
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #18
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecthelion View Post
Yeah but you just said that CAF is not an all-out marketplace, so the pieces are not on the market, even though you post it on CAF.

It's just a theory. Besides, the simple idea of seeing something that often may give someone the idea (or illusion) that it's available, even when it might not be. That might be enough for something to lose some of its luster for some people.

P.S. Speaking for myself, I've seen quite a few Perez and Finch commissions that looks near identical to one another in that generic type portrait or pose way. It makes them look all the more more dimeadozen to me and sadly, less coveted. Are the pieces any less pretty? Not really. While this might not be a direct example to what you're referring to, it likely still plays a role in either lowering values or decreasing demand in a particular artist's work. Also, some people might get the sense that there are lots more of these things around than originally thought.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #19
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I would imagine that the more one sees a piece, the less marketable or coveted it seems to become in the eyes of a beholder. Think of it as a house. The longer a house remains on the market, the more some people start to think it's either overpriced or not worth having in some way...
This assumes that the artwork is for sale, in which case, this theory would apply. Merely showing a piece you have shouldn't affect it's market value what so ever.

The ONLY reason this may be legitimate is if there's a piece out there that no one has seen for a long time. It's value has been guessed at a 1000 times. It shows up and the price of the piece gets out and happens to be 50% less than the guessing. In that case, the percieved value may drop. But again, I think this is silly at best.

My theories for people not showing artwork is:

1) Embarrassed by it. Not because it's bad, but because they feel embarrassed about how much they may have spent and what people will say. Frankly, who cares.

2) They're paranoid that people are going to hunt them down and steal their artwork. Is this a legitimate concern? Possibly, but then you probably shouldn't bother to show anything.

3) It's just not "worth it". Its like people said, sometimes you have something goofy or some tiny little sketch that you think is neat, but just not worth the space on CAF. Again, while I understand this since there are a few things I've never posted, in the long run, it's kind of silly. May as well show it, no reason not too.

Personally, if people are going to bother showing their art at all, why wouldn't you want to show your best? That's like having a nice car, nice clothes or nice jewelery, but only putting everything on and going for a drive at 2:30am on a Tuesday night so no one knows???
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #20
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post

Personally, if people are going to bother showing their art at all, why wouldn't you want to show your best? That's like having a nice car, nice clothes or nice jewelery, but only putting everything on and going for a drive at 2:30am on a Tuesday night so no one knows???

That's the thing. Not everyone experiences their hobby in that manner. You'd probably be astounded how many people like to remain anonymous with their possessions. It's not a character flaw. It's a choice they're extremely comfortable with.

For them, simply owning it is likely reward enough. Some might view the showing off of it all as unbecoming, petty, and attention-seeking. While privacy is clearly not the case with many collectors, it is for some. Who are we to judge what they wish to do with their collections?