Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #21
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
It really doesn't bother me. If they can't be bothered to sketch, I just move on to the next artist that will.
Is that to say you don't bother with artists who aren't sketching?

Royd, Stuart's "50" book almost scared me out of ever wanting to be a guest at a con LOL. Almost. It's also hilarious.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #22
BeerNutta
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post

Royd, Stuart's "50" book almost scared me out of ever wanting to be a guest at a con LOL. Almost. It's also hilarious.

I like the one where the guy wants Stuart to draw his gf as Princess Leia. Or the guy that once him to draw the same character in the same pose year after year. Fans can be so messed up.
BeerNutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #23
Royd
Producer
Producer

Mate, thankfully those fans are in the minority. It's just that Stuart has attended a lot of cons over the last 15 years or so that he's seen them all!

If you'd managed to get to SDCC this year, you could have hung out with me and the Playboy Playmates I went out to dinner with *big grin* Hanging out with Steve (Hef) Morger equals a bonzer time!

And if you ever get to Oz, Paul and I will look after you! Best,

Royd

Quote:

Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #24
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:

Something like that. No I'll still talk to them as they did travel to the show to see me.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 AM   #25
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Brom wasn't doing sketches at ECCC this year, but I enjoyed talking with him for quite some time, and ended up buying a book of his... which he surprised me with not just a signature within.. but a quick sketch as well.

I was stoked.

I think they should offer sketches only if they want to, and should feel no qualms about charging for them. Conventions have GOT to be death on an artist's drawing hand.. I wouldn't blame them for not doing sketches pro bono.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:14 AM   #26
Scottsdale Saint
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Short answer to the question...absolutely not.

However, when Crossgen was in business and they paid their artists to go to shows, the artists did killer sketches and we were ecstatic to be part of that process. That was when I got my first sketch, a Black Widow bust shot from George Perez.
Scottsdale Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:13 AM   #27
patman
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

Disappointing I guess if they are not sketching but I guess it is their call on what they intend to do at the table.

Jay Anacleto is doing a signing on Saturday for Marvels 2. The announcement clearly stated that he won't be sketching, which is expected since he doesn't do anything less than the detailed quality you have come to expect of him (otherwise, he might only be able to do 1 the entire afternoon ). Hopefully, he will be willing to sign more than a couple for each fan.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #28
risingstar
Jedi Order

Back in the early days of cons, sketches were practically unheard of. People were happy just getting signatures. I remember a time when artists looked somewhat surprised when asked for a sketch. Then again, I remember the outcry of fans when artists began to charge. For example, Steve Rude used to charge $20 for a detailed sketch and people thought that was highway robbery.

The only responsibility I feel an artist should have at cons is to be polite, respect the order of commissions (if he/she is doing any), and try not to do ten commissions for one fan at once, at which point there's only time left to do a few more for others. It would also be nice if artists didn't do the same looking sketch over and over again but that one might be pushing it as some artists literally do hundreds of sketches a year...
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #29
outlikealight
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

No.
outlikealight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #30
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

I occasionally wish one would step out of the mold and actually work on a real page while at a show. Marvel and DC should both encourage this so they can get more of their books back on schedule! Plus it would be cool to watch.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote