Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 06-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #131
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hey Alex,

Sorry to hear that Supanova Sydney 2014 was your second worst con experience I understand you weren't in the best of health, and the artist/creators represented weren't amongst your faves in addition to a fave cancelling.

However, I hope we'll be able to replicate your enjoyable past Supanova experiences (which featured mutual fave creators like Terry Dodson, Jim Cheung, Mike McKone Leinil Yu etc.) in the near future

As an aside, my best (and only) Armageddon experience to date was when I met you, Rod, Belinda and Steph in person for the first time! Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
Sydney supanova 2014 was my second worst con experience
It was a successful con for those around me so I'm happy for them
The company was great to surround the misery lol
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #132
Royd
Producer
Producer

Well, the Supanova June tour (Sydney and Perth) has come to a close and I am exhausted but delighted with the wonderful attendance at both expos (final numbers have yet to be crunched but preliminary estimates are very pleasing and Sydney Supanova was huge)! Re the new venue in Perth, I’ve attended other shows/expos held at the same venue (Oil & Gas, Mining, Comics etc.) and the Supanova Perth expo (which used up every hall – there was no unused space) was packed. I’ve been going to Comic-Con International in San Diego since 1994 and the crowds at Supanova Perth (through both days) this year reminded me of a mini-CCI!

I was very pleased with how things worked out (at both expos) in the little “patch” that I’m largely responsible for in that the comics creator guests had a great time and the fans who came to see them were also very happy with their interaction and acquisition of sketches/original art/sketchbooks etc.

I had the opportunity to catch up with virtually all of the comics creator (and some of the other) guests at different times during both shows and was pleased that they had an enjoyable and overall profitable experience during the tour. The IDW Talent Search and Portfolio Review sessions were a big hit with local creators wanting to submit their work to a major publisher and the IDW reps were impressed with the quality of the work they saw.

It was great to sit down over a meal (even though our first attempt to sit down for a meal wasn’t successful and resulted in our moving restaurants) on the final night (Sunday) in Perth with Tristan Jones, Nicola Scott and David Yardin. (Paul & Linda Ryan were catching up with some friends and Alan & Heather Davis had an early flight so they decided to return to the hotel for dinner). It was great that Cem, Jody and Aaron joined us at the restaurant – thanks for sticking with us through the change of restaurants guys!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #133
MrSinister
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I haven't stopped since the weekend, but I wanted to take the time to THANK YOU, Royd (as well as the Tim McEwen, and the other Supanova organisers), for all your hard work over the months and days, organising this Supanova, which was extremely epic for me (I'm still surprised I'm back behind a desk, and not staring at OA work).

And another BIG thank you for inviting us out for Dinner afterwards; we had a truly fantastic time and really appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
It was great that Cem, Jody and Aaron joined us at the restaurant – thanks for sticking with us through the change of restaurants guys!
MrSinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #134
Royd
Producer
Producer

Just a couple of pics of a delightful young cosplayer named Ellie who looked stunning as Mary Marvel (black costume):

Old 06-24-2014, 12:41 AM   #135
fred flintstone
Jedi Order

Quote:
Hey Alex,

Sorry to hear that Supanova Sydney 2014 was your second worst con experience I understand you weren't in the best of health, and the artist/creators represented weren't amongst your faves in addition to a fave cancelling.

However, I hope we'll be able to replicate your enjoyable past Supanova experiences (which featured mutual fave creators like Terry Dodson, Jim Cheung, Mike McKone Leinil Yu etc.) in the near future

As an aside, my best (and only) Armageddon experience to date was when I met you, Rod, Belinda and Steph in person for the first time! Best,

Royd
Thanks

Combination of people, head cold and losing sketch
No shopping extras that I was hoping for outside sketches
But as I said I got to catch up with Nicola, David and Jon
And Paul Ryan was nice as well as his wife

Got to hang out with Nik Bella Rod and Steph so that was good

Sketches aren't the only thing that make a con good
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:41 AM   #136
Underdog07
Hercules

Royd - why is it you never take pictures with the male cosplayers?

Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #137
Royd
Producer
Producer

You know, I never realised that my photos with cosplayers were so gender specific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post

Old 06-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #138
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post

Quote:
You know, I never realised that my photos with cosplayers were so gender specific!
Note I wasn't complaining. Just making an observation.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #139
Royd
Producer
Producer

Great to see that Supanova June 2014 guests, IDW CEO Ted Adams and Editor-in-Chief Chris Ryall) have selected the first of the Australian artists whose work they reviewed in Sydney and Perth for an upcoming cover gig on an IDW book!

The first Australian artist identified from the review sessions is Mark Sexton who will be making his debut with a stunning cover on Judge Dredd #26. Well done Mark!

You can see more details including the fantastic cover image at the IDW Facebook post - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Here's the pic -

Old 07-12-2014, 01:59 AM   #140
MrSinister
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Awesome cover! Congrats to Mark.
Quote:
The first Australian artist identified from the review sessions is Mark Sexton who will be making his debut with a stunning cover on Judge Dredd #26. Well done Mark!
MrSinister is offline   Reply With Quote