Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 03-04-2006, 05:17 AM   #1
JohnCleary
Sculptor
Sculptor

DIXIE ART - anyone order airbrush supplies from them?

Hi everyone. At long last I am getting my new airbrush. I have narrowed it down to the Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH. I figured for general kit airbrushing work it should suit me fine.

I was shopping around and I see that www.****blick has the HP-C model for $240. The same airbrush is sold at Dixie Art for only $160. **** Blick didnt have the HP-CH but Dixie Art wants $190 for that one. Does anyone know why the huge price difference? I was wondering why Dixe Art's prices are so much cheaper. Maybe DB just over prices?

ANyway I was wondering what everyone thinks of Dixie Art. Are they a good company?

Thanks!
JohnCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

ive ordered from dixie a few times no complaints here
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Great company, great prices, and super fast shipping.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Danno; 03-04-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
JohnCleary
Sculptor
Sculptor

Thanks guys! Thats what I'll do then. I appreciate it!

John
Old 03-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
StatueItis
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I have ordered from them many times, nice folks and great prices. The Iwatas are super but I still like my Sotar better. With a medium tip and needle it is more forgiving of water based paints. If I were spraying lacquer or ink I like the Iwatas better.
StatueItis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
JohnCleary
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatueItis
I have ordered from them many times, nice folks and great prices. The Iwatas are super but I still like my Sotar better. With a medium tip and needle it is more forgiving of water based paints. If I were spraying lacquer or ink I like the Iwatas better.
Hmmm. Is it the Sotar 20/20? Maybe I should look into that one then. I am looking for a single brush for now that will give me fine detail but also be good for painting large areas. I want to start painting some of this stuff I sculpt.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
StatueItis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCleary
Hmmm. Is it the Sotar 20/20? Maybe I should look into that one then. I am looking for a single brush for now that will give me fine detail but also be good for painting large areas. I want to start painting some of this stuff I sculpt.
Yes, the one with the large cup. The only downside of the Sotar I have found is the handle that if you drop the brush is easy to bend and the parts are expensive. I have several different airbrushes to choose from and it is always my first choice. It comes with two needles and tips, large and small. Of couse I like the medium best and that is an additional expense.

I forgot what Danno said he uses but who could argue with the results that he gets!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatueItis
Yes, the one with the large cup. The only downside of the Sotar I have found is the handle that if you drop the brush is easy to bend and the parts are expensive. I have several different airbrushes to choose from and it is always my first choice. It comes with two needles and tips, large and small. Of couse I like the medium best and that is an additional expense.

I forgot what Danno said he uses but who could argue with the results that he gets!

i use the sotar 20/20 danno turned me onto it and i believe thats his main brush as well.,...
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
Tattoo-S
Mrs. Wookie~'Venger's Girl~GORE Princess~Silly Sister~Beast Lover

I have been going to learn how to Airbrush for quite some time. I will definately check out the Dixie Art site....I have an airbrush, but need a compresser, any suggestions on sizes to begin w/ ?
Tattoo-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
StatueItis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo S
I have been going to learn how to Airbrush for quite some time. I will definately check out the Dixie Art site....I have an airbrush, but need a compresser, any suggestions on sizes to begin w/ ?
I tend to paint in one room and clean the airbrush in another so I use a small compressor that is easy to tote around, but it really does not matter. My best advice that if it does not have a big tank get a quiet one. Be sure though to put a water trap on it especially with acrylic based paints.