Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 02-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Checkmate: Emma Frost - White Queen FS by Bowen Designs (Modern Version)

Being an X-Men means a lot to me. But it doesn't always agree with me.
- Emma Frost, Astonishing X-Men #2

Hi guys,

I am currently working on a review of the Emma Frost - White Queen FS by Bowen Designs (Modern Version)
The review is far from finished yet but I have already posted the pictures which I have taken of this majestic statue.
Emma is easily one the most powerful, dangerous and unpredicatble X-Men and for those of you who still believe women
play second fiddle to men, I believe that one look at Emma will make you realize who delusional and wrong you have been all along.
Emma is the embodiment of 'girl power' and she is a perfect example of a woman who does what she wants, takes what she wants and says
what she wants, when she wants it and how she wants it.
Rub Emma the wrong way and you will find out sooner than you like that there is a price to pay for such foolishness...
No one mocks the White Queen and gets away with it!

My Verdict

About Emma Frost a.k.a. the White Queen:
1) Awesome writers loved her. When you have Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon really pushing you as a character, chances are you're going to stick.
2) She's such a power-house character from X-Men past. She was hugely important as a villain and as a hero in the past.
3) She's a strong woman and there's a history of those in X-Men.
4) She's a perfect foil for Scott. She's a grey to his black and white. She pushes him and challenges him.
5) You never know 100% if you can trust her, and that's just so interesting.

- Nick Lowe, CBR's X-Position 13

Statue number: 877 / 1,200
Statue size: the statue stands over 12 inches tall
Sculptor: Mark Newman
Prototype painted by: Dan Cope
Box Design: Jeremy Perkins
Art Direction: Randy Bowen

Sculpt: 8.5 - Very impressive
I have always imagined Emma to be a very beautiful, dangerous woman with a sometimes intimidating presence.
She will never enter a room unnoticed and when she wants your attention she never has to ask for it but simply demands it by being in your vicinity.
Besides, Emma is also a very powerful woman: not only because she is a very powerful mutant and an important member of the X-Men, but also because she
she is the White Queen, one of the highest ranking members of the influential Hellfire Club.
Emma is all about power and she is never hesitant to use that power any way she sees fit to accomplish her goals.
The sculpt captures all of this in a very convincing way: Emma is portrayed as a confident and beautiful young woman who is well aware of her position, her role,
her powers and her goals she wants to achieve.
This is girl power all the way: talk about women being the weaker sex to Emma and she might wipe your mind before you have finished your sentence.
Not only because you annoyed her and because she can, but also to prove how outdated and wrong this belief from the dark Middle Ages is.
But the sculpt provides more than just an impressive attitude and posture.
The sculpt also delivers the goodies when looking at small details like the beautifully sculpted X-symbol in Emma's belt, the way her hair is flowing behind her
while she striding forward and the delicate wrinkles in her handkerchiefs and her pants which add realism and dynamics to the statue.
And of course let's not forget about the beautiful way Emma's cape is flowing behind her. It's really impressive and it makes you realize
Emma is one classy lady who knows how to make an appearance.
Emma's essence is captured in the sculpt and when looking at her you can see what she is all about: she truly is one of the Bold and The Beautiful
with the power to make her help achieve her goals.

Paint & Mixed Media: 8.0 - Impressive
At first sight, the statue looks to have a relatively simple paint scheme consisting mainly of the silver/white color of Emma's costume and the color of her skin.
The paintjob looks impeccable however and Emma looks as fabulous as she intended to.
The silver/white is a fitting reference to her role as White Queen and I really like the fact that same color is reflected in Emma's lipstick, necklace and the
surface of the base.
Emma knows how to make a breathtaking impression and how to ensure all eyes are on her.
Emma's costume looks expensive and fashionable and when looking at her she looks healthy and in shape; Emma is clearly someone who takes
good care of herself and the paintjob honors her lifestyle and efforts in an incredible way.
The statue does not include mixed media but you do not really miss anything when the paintjob is as satisfying as is the case here.

Design: 8.5 - Very impressive
When thinking of the design of this statue three words spring to mind: simple, sexy and elegant.
Emma is not displayed in a complicated, action pose and the base is also not particularly complicated.
This statue however does not need any 'special effects' to show Emma in all of her glory: as a beautiful, confident and
incredibly powerful young woman who knows what she wants and is out to get all of that and more.
The design is spectacular in a mostly reserved and modest way and the longer you look at it, the more you will appreciate the presence and
look of the statue.
The big exception to this statement is Emma's clear and apparent beauty: Emma has the looks and body of a topmodel and it is great to see her astonishing
beauty is captured so well.
The White Queen rules divine and this statue is a tremendous homage to one of the most powerful and dangerous women in the X-Universe.

Production & Build Quality: 8.0 - Impressive
This statue is not particularly fragile but I would advise to take a little bit of caution when you pick it up or want to move it.
Emma's cape, fingers or hair will not break or get damaged just like that but I would definitely recommend showing a little TLC to Emma in this regard.
That being said this however also applies to many other statues.
When treated with a bit of care and common sense, you will be able to enjoy this statue for a long time to come however after you have added it to your collection.
The statue can be easily attached to the base and once you have done this Emma stands firm, ready to show the world who she is and what she is made of.
Emma is no pushover and neither is this statue.

Overall rating: 8.5 - Very impressive
Bowen Designs has released an impressive statue with this modern version of the White Queen.
Emma looks pretty, self-assured and strong-willed and by looking at her it's easy to understand why she became the White Queen of the Hellfire Club.
In the game of chess, the Queen is one of the most powerful pieces and Emma is a real Queen, able to dominate the people around her andmake the most
of the situation she finds herself in.
The statue managed to capture Emma's power, beauty and attitude, it has an impeccable paintjob and it is constructed well.
If you are looking for a smaller scale statue of White Queen to add to your collection, this statue should definitely make it to your short list.
It really is that good and as such I can wholeheartedly recommend it to any fan and collector out there.
Two thumps up for Bowen Designs and Emma!

Background Information

You can't have the Hellfire Club without Emma Frost. She is sexy and scary.
- Bryan Singer

Aliases: The White Queen of the Hellfire Club
Identity: Frost is known to have been a leader of the Hellfire Club, but her past criminal activities are not public knowledge
Citizenship: U.S.A.
Place of Birth:Boston, Massachusetts
Occupation:Co-headmaster of Xavier Institute for Higher Learning, adventurer, Chairman of the Board and CEO of Frost International,
former Chairman of the Board of Trustees and headmistress of Massachusetts Academy

Physical Attributes:

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 144 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Brown (dyed ash blonde)

Emma Frost was born into a wealthy old Boston mercantile family that arrived from England in the 1600s.
The second of three daughters, Emma also had an older brother named Christian who had turned to substance abuse as an escape from the drudgery of his life.
Unknown to their family or themselves, the three Frost sisters were mutants whose telepathic abilities matured upon reaching puberty.

When it came time for their father to choose a worthy heir to the family fortune, Christian was automatically dismissed due to his drug problem.
Whilst the older sister Adrienne seemed the most obvious choice, the father chose Emma. Surprisingly, she refused, choosing to make her own way through life.
Emma ultimately inherited a good deal of wealth, but most of her large fortune resulted from her professional success.
She ascended rapidly to the upper echelon of the business world on the strength of her intelligence, drive, and personal charm, as well as the secret use of her mental powers.
Also, at some point, the Dark Beast met Emma, and helped her rise to wealth and power.

Eventually, Emma became majority stockholder of a multi-billion dollar conglomerate principally involved in electronics and transportation - both the building of ships and aircraft,
and their use for freight and passenger conveyance.
Despite her relative youth, she was named chairwoman of the board and chief executive officer of the rechristened Frost International.
She also became headmistress and chairwoman of the board of trustees of the Massachusetts Academy - a college preparatory school for students in grades seven through twelve located
in the Berkshire Mountains in Snow Valley, Massachusetts.

Emma's success caught the attention of the Hellfire Club, an elite social organization consisting of the world's wealthiest and most powerful figures.
When she learned that the club was hiring dancers, she promptly auditioned and used her telepathic talents to enhance her performance in their eyes.
Unlike the other females in the Club, Emma was never uncomfortable with the strict dress code that required female members to wear lingerie at all times.
She believed her revealing wardrobe to be one of many weapons in her arsenal, one that gave her an instant advantage over men.

She was Shaw's partner - in terms of the Hellfire Club; they weren't business associates. They might have had a relationship at some time,
but the point was that they were equals; maybe he stood a little higher since he was the Black King. But I think the thing with Emma was that
the reason she was the White Queen (and he was the Black King) was that to be the Black Queen would imply she was somehow subservient,
a little subordinate to him.
Her point was, 'I am not subordinate; I am equal. My White King will not be my superior any more than your good guy.'

- Chris Claremont, Classic Marvel Figurine Collection #47

Powers
Emma Frost is a mutant who possesses various telepathic talents. Emma can read minds and project her thoughts into the minds of others, project psionic force bolts
which have no physical effects but which can affect a victim's mind so as to cause the victim pain or unconsciousness.
Emma can also induce mental pain merely by touching the brow of her victim.
She can furthermore telepathically "sedate" her victims so that, if already rendered unconscious, they remain so for as long as she continues to "sedate" them.

Furthermore, as a consequence of continued mutation, Emma can now transform her skin and hair into a diamond-hard form at will.
In this form, Emma is nigh indestructible, however, in this form Emma's telepathic abilities are suppressed.

Abilities
Emma is highly skilled in electronic theory and electronics and has learned how to build devices that can amplify psionic energy and utilize psionic energy for various effects.
She devised the mechanism by which her Hellfire Club cohort Mastermind projected his illusions directly into the mind of the Phoenix Force.
Emma is furthermore an above average athlete and has had some training in hand-to-hand combat.

Weapons
Emma once designed a gun-like device which she once used to exchange minds for a period of time with Storm of the X-Men.

Forgive me. Because I know...I never will.
- Emma Frost, Uncanny X-Men #314

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Superpowers, a scintillating wit, and the best body money can buy...and I still rate below a corpse.
- Emma Frost, Astonishing X-Men #1

Rainer
Old 02-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

I deserve sympathy for the sins of my sordid past, not scorn. Those were difficult days; I was probably very confused and out of my mind on drink or drugs.
It's not always about "good" and "evil", Scott dear.

- Emma Frost, New X-Men Annual 2001

Old 02-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

I've had quite enough of these painful emotions.
I have no telepathic powers in diamond form.
And no empathy, no compassion, just a cruel sense of humor and a cold, hard heart.

- Emma Frost, New X-Men Annual 2001

Rainer
Old 02-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

I was thirteen. When I think about evil, whenever I think about the concept of evil, yours is the face that I see.
- Kitty Pryde (to Emma), Astonishing X-Men #2

Rainer
Old 02-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Of course I'm a threat. Why? Did you think for a moment I wasn't?
- Emma Frost (to Banshee), Generation X #23

Rainer
Old 02-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #7
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Everyone just remembers the boobs and the outfit and the hair, but (Emma Frost) is not only telepathic,
she turns into a diamond and it takes a lot of people to take her down.
So people just need to remember that!

- January Jones