Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Old 12-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #231
dfchang
The Riddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottorino View Post
Looks amazing congrats.
Thanks bro. Raffy normally does honors but poor guy is sick so I decided to step up for him. If you want you can post my images for the gang over at cbd, I'd appreciate it!
dfchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:38 AM   #232
dfchang
The Riddler

By way she looks MUCH better in person these pictures taken with iPhone 6s camera in crappy lighting. In person you feel like Medusa came out of Greek mythology book into your living room. Lol.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:50 AM   #233
ottorino
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchang View Post
Thanks bro. Raffy normally does honors but poor guy is sick so I decided to step up for him. If you want you can post my images for the gang over at cbd, I'd appreciate it!
Yeah poor RAF .
Will post on CBD.
ottorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:51 AM   #234
bigwallys
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Wow! That's very nice. Great pics. I think I prefer the closed mouth version. Seems creepier. Congrats on a beautiful piece. Looks like the box got beat up a bit. Glad it arrive in good condition. Mine should be here today.
bigwallys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:15 AM   #235
dfchang
The Riddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwallys View Post
Wow! That's very nice. Great pics. I think I prefer the closed mouth version. Seems creepier. Congrats on a beautiful piece. Looks like the box got beat up a bit. Glad it arrive in good condition. Mine should be here today.
Yep punctured near top but ECC uses best styrofoam. This thing isn't going to break on way to you. It's so heavy, damage to the brown shipper is almost inevitable as the delivery guys try to maneuver this beast in and out of the trucks . . .
Old 12-02-2016, 02:33 AM   #236
dfchang
The Riddler

So pics really speak for themselves but a few brief highlights.

Very heavy. Box is 90 pounds but the statue itself has to be around 70 or so cause the empty box felt very light to me.

Medusa herself is all translucent resin. Base is very plain and paintjob there is a little sloppy but it is very heavy and very broad which is important. More on that later. The snakes of course are rubber with inner wires so you can pose them.

The translucent resin for her is very important since she is a snake and the paintjob really delivers. She looks INCREDIBLY lifelike in person and the effect coupled with her eyes is pretty eery. The cost of casting this much translucent resin and the painting of it really justifies the cost in my mind.

She has acrylic teeth which is awesome. Her eyes are amazing. I don't know whether they are glass or acrylic or decals or painted or what but obviously one of the central aspects of Medusa is her gaze and Steve Wang definitely spent a lot of time on those eyes. It's magnificent and hypnotic. The light up is not over the top, very elegant bilateral pinpoint lights but just sets off the entire effect perfectly.

The hair is another story in and of itself since initially they had sculpted each of the 30 snakes in resin for the initial prototype unveiling at SDCC I believe. That was INSANE. They quickly realized that was impossible to ship and produce and moved to rubber versions by Monsterpalooza earlier this year. Now rubber snakes SHOULD look like a crappy plastic toy but somehow these guys managed to sculpt and mold it so well that they look AWESOME. The snakes come in two types. 23 closed mouth, 7 open, and 1 spare of each. Each snake is hand numbered and each slot on Medusa's head is hand labeled as well. You slot each in and then slowly and carefully bend and style the snakes. The booklet has some general advice but the cool thing is that no two Medusa busts will be the same because each collector will style them differently. It's genius really.

The jaws take a bit of care since you have to angle them a certain way and the magnets are strong.

There's no right way to display her. The open jaw creature look is pretty scary and the beauty one is gorgeous. Those with younger kids might go with the beauty look as she isn't as scary but the full effect is achieved with the creature look.

Overall, the presence of the bust can't be overstated. With the snakes, she is simply massive and dominates any room she is in. You feel like Medusa stepped out of the pages of Greek mythology into your living room and the result is both breath-taking and a bit terrifying. Steve Wang really outdid himself with this piece, it's a spectacular and unique mix of sensual beauty and horrifying spectacle all mixed into one. You really do feel like she has the power to turn you to stone when you look on her face and eyes. It's magical. I think this is Steve Wang's best work and that is saying something.

I am not a monster fan, a horror collector, a Medusa enthusiast at all. But I saw it a Monsterpalooza in person and the presence it has was so overwhelming I had to pre-order it. I almost cancelled because I just have no room for this but the memory of that impression at Monsterpalooza stayed my hand.

At almost 2300 including tax and shipping, my expectations for her were sky high. I can't believe I'm saying this but they were exceeded. Worth every penny and I DO NOT say that easily about 2k collectibles.

For the fortunate 500 collectors world wide who's going to have this museum piece of art in their homes, a big congratulations to all. Prepare to be blown away.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:14 AM   #237
Ranz
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Great photos and excellent review you got me really excited to get this
Ranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:00 AM   #238
Phil the sixth
Nightwing

Such a glorious piece!
Phil the sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #239
FROBAY
Phoenix

Very nice. Congrats to those that got her!
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #240
qz33
Rescue

Super quality.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote