Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 04-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #201
qz33
Doctor Doom

Maybe the new customers from the smaller scale business can still enable the 1/4.

A business based on solely selling big statues seems like a tough tow.
Of any of the major companies Kotobukiya seems best prepared to handle any future market changes.

Still none at all what I wanted to hear from my favorite company.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #202
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
When it comes to a lot of licenses it feels like theres still quite a few "a listers" left to do imo. Sorry zen i think youre right about SF though
The bigger licenses, yeah. Marvel, Star Wars, etc.

I like A listers, but my remaining SF list is like, 2/3 B and C listers (in fact, I think the SF license pretty much breaks down in that kind of ratio), and I'm personally not interested in smaller scales to satisfy a character desire.

What I will consider smaller scale statues of though, is for my favorite characters, but only to supplement other larger statues already made (Akuma, Gouken, Sagat, Guile, Oro, (would love to put Gen here)). So that doesn't necessarily fall in line with 'producing lower tier characters in smaller scales because that's the ONLY way to get them produced'. It would always feel like a stop gap to me. I may be in the minority on that.

Basically, I'd fall in line with #2. But of the three, there is an additional assumption there, that doesn't necessarily have to apply to PCS and Street Fighter, i.e. the assumption that the consumer is SO selective to a point where certain characters aren't viable. Only Jerry has the numbers, so he's led to believe this cause and effect, but I'll hope they continue to take chances on B and C listers.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:11 PM   #203
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Maybe the new customers from the smaller scale business can still enable the 1/4.

A business based on solely selling big statues seems like a tough tow.
Of any of the major companies Kotobukiya seems best prepared to handle any future market changes.

Still none at all what I wanted to hear from my favorite company.
That'd be great if possible, but based on prior conversations, I don't think PCS is set up that way. At most, I think the successes they do have helps Jerry do those passion projects (e.g. Goro 1:3) where success isn't guaranteed; not necessarily lower tier characters in different lines.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #204
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
That'd be great if possible, but based on prior conversations, I don't think PCS is set up that way. At most, I think the successes they do have helps Jerry do those passion projects (e.g. Goro 1:3) where success isn't guaranteed; not necessarily lower tier characters in different lines.
Currently no but if sales of other lines and licenses continue to trend up I don't see how it couldn't be/ Obviously a reduction in yearly 1/4s will be in order but kinda like what Kotobukiya has been doing with their Fine Art line over the years.

PCS has been getting by on 2 licensors really with a pretty niche overlapping market for 10 years (except for MOTU starting in late 2013 which was stated as not very profitable).

Also I would imagine printing directly from game files would help reduce design costs considerably.
Somebody's gonna be printing SF statues from game files and it might as well be PCS especially if they have enough other business to give them the clout and ability to not have all their income put in two very specific baskets. Make no mistake they'd still be profitable even with reduced ES.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #205
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Not sure I'll be a buyer, but definitely excited to see all these licenses PCS just acquired.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #206
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Maybe it's just me, someone who hasn't quit the hobby but rather one who has taken a step back...I think the more time goes by the worse and worse the projection of the hobby looks.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #207
Darth Madden
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
Maybe it's just me, someone who hasn't quit the hobby but rather one who has taken a step back...I think the more time goes by the worse and worse the projection of the hobby looks.
I have taken a HUGE step back and to be honest I kind of agree.. there is so much out there and so much inflated prices that it just can't go on forever. I'm even selling off some of my stuff now while I can still get decent prices.
Darth Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #208
craigcliff1
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
With statues having more than doubled from when I started and shipping having at least tripled
and resale market keeps going down and what Jerry wrote I think the same thing.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:29 AM   #209
ukshaun
Hercules

Given their never ending appetite for new new reveals, Prime 1 appear to be at the top of their game.
I sense the words 'hobby' and 'dying' don't figure in their vocabulary

Price must be an issue for many though. I guess the hobby might be dying for those that want to 'collect'em all'
With prices on the up, it simply means collectors will pick and choose, buying fewer.
There are many statues i want, and pass on, as my budget isn't limitless.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #210
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I think price is the key but the hidden issue is space. I mean even the average upper middle class collector only has so much space and disposable income.1/6th and 1/5th is really going to come back strong. 1/4th and 1/3rd will struggle. rising cost and collectors generally not living in palaces will put a major dent in those markets. Also while I'm not in this for resale at all I find it hard to believe people will be able to get just there money and shipping back in the aftermarket. That becomes an issue especially as space becomes and issue.
Commander0Zero is online now   Reply With Quote