Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 04-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #21
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight. View Post
Yeah, the whole appeal of these 1/10 lines were multiple characters at a decent price. When I started collecting these, I would pay anywhere between $35-$60 depending if I waited around or not before grabbing one. I do realize production costs always go up and I have been a big fan of Koto quality, but this is starting to get really steep. Now if these had switch out parts or were made of different material, I can understand paying nearly double from the price point of a few years back. The best bang for your buck is clearly anything in 1/6 scale.
If you ask me, EVERY ArtFX+ statue should have switch out parts. Otherwise, what's the point of the jigsaw puzzle production? It makes the packaging bigger (costlier shipping), but worthless. You can't simply put your statues back in them, like you can do with your bishoujos. No, you'll need to dismember them first. It's not pretty.
(I realize this might not be a big issue with most people, but I move a lot so I have to take this stuff into consideration.)

The worst part is the seams. They're VERY visible on some statues.

All of this is worth it only if you get switch out parts, imo.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #22
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorknob View Post
Prices of 1/10 statues have been going up steadily and astronomically.
Exactly. I can understand high prices for statues that need intricate detailing, like the Iron Man movie suits, or even the recent Katana bishoujo. But this is just a plain black comic suit without so much as a logo. Even if the paint-job is superb, it hardly warrants a 33% price jump from $60 to $80. I'm only planning on getting it if it's somehow discounted at some point to $60 or below. BP isn't among my top 10 Avengers anyway.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #23
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Otherwise, what's the point of the jigsaw puzzle production?
The only reason they do it that way is because their licensing contract with Marvel states they have to market the ArtFX statues as "model kits." And they can only do that by shipping them in multiple peices. It would be nice if Koto would at least take advantage of that by including more swap-out parts.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:57 AM   #24
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksplode View Post
The only reason they do it that way is because their licensing contract with Marvel states they have to market the ArtFX statues as "model kits." And they can only do that by shipping them in multiple peices. It would be nice if Koto would at least take advantage of that by including more swap-out parts.
Really? That sounds like a weird contract. Can't imagine why Marvel wants it that way. Even the Star Wars ArtFX+ statues are like that. But yeah, the recent DC Mad lovers came in one piece. So maybe it's a Disney thing.

Anyway, thanks for the info. It always bothered me why they did it. Now I know.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:56 AM   #25
Max Carnage
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Was pretty excited for this statue. But this thing doesn't look worth spending $80 on. The face sculpt could be better (unless this is a dead-on portrayal of some comic version, in which case I'll eat my words). The pose is fine, but the paint-job looks a little lackluster.

I'll skip the PO. Will wait till release to see how it turned out. I hope it's better than these pictures suggest.

It would've been cool if they gave us a panther base like the fine art piece. At this price point, that's reasonable to ask, imo.
I think the reason of $80 price tag is the latest popularity of the Black Panther due to the movie. This will be the second 1/10 priced at $80 after Carnage.

I would understand the price of Carnage maybe because of the paint job or the detail it requires to sculpt and paint symbiote/tendrils on his body but for Black Panther I agree with you. This is just a plain black how matter its black paint looks great or not, there is no detail on his body and shouldn't be priced at $80. Seeing this at that price makes me think how much a bargain Venom was at $70. He was easily one of the best statues of last year and best ArtFX+ I've ever seen yet cheaper than this. (They are even doing a reissue of him for this June, it was sold out everywhere in a short time)

I also can't understand why the price between different pieces change between statue to statue that much, there isn't a fixed price. Spider-Man was $60, Agent Venom $65, Carnage $80, Venom $70, Daredevil $70, Iron Fist $75 and Panther $80. I just hope Scarlet Witch won't be priced at $80 or the rest of this wave.

At that price of point I would at least expect a switch out unmasked heads for characters like Black Panther, Spider-Man, Venom or Carnage but nope.

By the way I am saying all of this but I liked the statue and will pre-order that Panther anyway. Thanks to Japanese retailers and AmiAmi doing %18 off from the usual price at pre-orders or else I wouldn't be doing the same at that price. Their prices really jumped recently, just look how much they want for Spider-Man Webslinger ArtFX just because its base is resin. I mean most of the statue itself is the base when you look at it and Deadpool came out at $149 while it offers lots of accessories.
Max Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:37 AM   #26
Tushar
Hellboy

I agree about Venom and Carnage. Those are some of the best ArtFX+ pieces ever produced, and their price tag was justified. I got the Spidey from that wave but missed out on the venom due to a mix up.

The re-issue is good news. I bet it's because of the upcoming movie. I'll try to get my hands on it.

Let's hope Scarlet Witch is priced more reasonably. I'd really like Vision added to this line and I'll probably get them both.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #27
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Really? That sounds like a weird contract. Can't imagine why Marvel wants it that way. Even the Star Wars ArtFX+ statues are like that. But yeah, the recent DC Mad lovers came in one piece. So maybe it's a Disney thing.

Anyway, thanks for the info. It always bothered me why they did it. Now I know.
Yeah, it's specifically a Disney thing, hence why only the Marvel and Star Wars ArtFX statues are done that way. For whatever reason, Disney licensing is very picky about not letting multiple companies sell collectibles in the same scale and format.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #28
Griffon
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

From this ARTFX+ Black Panther KotoJP promo (bottom left corner) along with Scarlet Witch looks like we're getting 1/10 scale Ant-Man, Wasp, Vision, Capt. Marvel, (Sam Wilson) Capt. America, plus Thanos.

Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #29
Tushar
Hellboy

Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in Thanos, Witch, Vision, Ant-Man and Wasp. In that order. Will pass on the others.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #30
Max Carnage
Fantastic Four

I’ll get Black Panther, Scarlet Witch and Thanos surely but couldn’t care less about the rest. Maybe I may also get Ant-Man and the Wasp for fun, have to see them completed and I am wondering the price of this duo even from now.

What I see about this line is that most of the characters pose is so generic and boring. I get that there couldn’t be any better posing ideas for characters like Panther, Witch, Vision and Thanos but even Captain Marvel looks the same. Also Sam Wilson could have been in a different pose with his wings open to point out he is also Falcon but it looks like they made them similar to form the bigger rock as their base.

My favorite one from this line is Scarlet Witch by far, I hope she turns out to be that fantastic when completed. Other than Witch I really liked Thanos and Black Panther too. Despite he is far away from being an Avenger but I would really loved a comic book based Doctor Strange from Kotobukiya yet I am disappointed again by the way.
Max Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote