Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

View Poll Results: What action do you SS to do since demithyle LSF is sold out?
Make a PF of him 31 20.53%
Make a Variant 16 10.60%
Increase the ES and produce more of it 19 12.58%
Do nothing and not other complete the whole COTD collection? 85 56.29%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 AM   #161
Vallos
Jubilee

While I stated that a low edition statue (i.e. unique/rare) is never the final deciding factor in my purchases, it is however the main ingredient by which I base my collection. It is always more satisfying when I own an item that is rare. But I have come to know that "rare" within the collecting community (from all facets of collectibles) is much different that what people from the outside deem as "rare". There could be 10 thousand Demithyle's produced and sold, and that would not be considered "rare" among hobbyists, but in my circle of family, friends and associates, the one Demithyle I own will probably be the only one they see in their life time. For them, it is "rare and unique", thus I live vicariously through them to get that sense of rareness. I know I am one of ten thousand, but to them, I am just one in their world. It is a similar feeling when you go through an old experience with someone who never experienced it before and to you, it feels fresh and new.

So what is my point? I have come to realize that I don't just collect for myself. It brings a sense of pleasure to share the things I love with those within my life. So when I own a beautiful statue that I know is not rare or unique, when others see it and marvel at it, I know that it is rare to them and I feel it too. That is how I deal with variants and high edition sizes...
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:40 AM   #162
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

I was naive to think this would not happen. At least they're not including the switch-outs. That shows they care about the early adopters.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:12 AM   #163
law1349
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

The most disappointing news is that it's the same scale. Why? Leave the original version alone and give us something totally new. I wouldn't expect all 300 people with the original to buy the variant. If it was a whole new sculpt and scale I bet they would. I could care less about a legendary scale piece. Too hard to display and too expensive.
law1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #164
Vracula
Jedi Order

Anyone got a pic of him next to a normal 1/4 scale?
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:38 AM   #165
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
all this craziness over a piece no one (except a select few) initially cared about
Indeed.

The only reason this is being done is because Sideshow has seen the posts about those not wanting to jump into an incomplete line. Its always sales motivated and no care about protecting the integrity of the hobby.

Those swearing that there would be no variants in this line when I brought up Queen of the Dead can now eat their words.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #166
I and I
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Location: This couple lives in Sint-Maria-Latem (Zwalm - Belgium)
Quote:
Originally Posted by law1349 View Post
The most disappointing news is that it's the same scale. Why? Leave the original version alone and give us something totally new. I wouldn't expect all 300 people with the original to buy the variant. If it was a whole new sculpt and scale I bet they would. I could care less about a legendary scale piece. Too hard to display and too expensive.
I and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #167
risingstar
Jedi Order

I think the days of truly limited editions are a thing of the past. Sideshow isn't doing anything we haven't seen virtually every other statue company do at one time or another. Continuing to reproduce older pieces with slight variations is likely going to become more commonplace by all statue companies.

The only people who may be (potentially) hurt by this now more common practice is the owner the original version, the person who paid a premium to buy it on eBay, and the person trying to sell their piece. However, Sideshow, and any other company doing the same, is more interested in meeting the needs of the new client who wants one than appeasing the older fan who likely isn't going anywhere.

Toy companies, comic publishers, movie studios, and collectible card companies have been releasing variants of one kind or another for decades. While I completely sympathize with the dislike for variants as it tends to dilute the integrity of the original, we'd be deluding ourselves with thinking this is a new thing. Sideshow has as much right as anyone else to go for a second piece of the pie. If you can get past what you can't control, you'll likely enjoy the hobby so much more, I think.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #168
mikman42
Nightwing

mikman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #169
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikman42 View Post
Good lord,The reaper is massive!!
Thanks for the pic Mik.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #170
Vallos
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
Those swearing that there would be no variants in this line when I brought up Queen of the Dead can now eat their words.
If they didn't eat their words when Igo confirmed they are conceptualizing a Gethsemoni variant, then they aren't going to now.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote